Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Hello,

I was fiddling around with a friend's Solex 32 PHN-2 carb that was bought NOS to be installed on a 1500 engine.
Even though the carb was NOS we cleaned it a bit, by opening the top cover, plus all the threaded plugs we could unscrew from outside (including the main jet carrier), submerging the carb in gasoline and blowing in all the orifices we could find with compressed air.
We did not open the accelerator pump assembly since we did not to mess around with the needle valve and the check ball.

After that, we reassembled the carb and installed it in the car. We found out that the engine starts and works at medium to full throttle but it dies at idle. This happens (sometimes) even with the choke on.

After we checked for vacuum leaks using a can of brake cleaner (and found none) we started looking for faults with the carb.

After a couple of days we think we have identified the problem, and it's an odd one, and therefore we seek advice.

While playing around with different idle jets (we suspected from the beginning that an idle jet is to blame) by accident we found out that if we unscrew the idle jet quite a lot the carb starts to work fine, keeps the idle speed when warmed up and responds to idle and mixture screw adjustments.
When reading the Solex 32 PHN manual listed here on the Samba we found out that under the small cover on top of the carb there is an air hole that is supposed to mix the idle fuel with air.
From this page, third picture, the No. 3 item: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/32phn/11.jpg
On our carb the hole is visible, however at closer examination we found out that is totally blocked by the casting of the carb itself, as a manufacturing defect.

Now, considering that the documentation on thesamba is for the Solex 32-PHN (the early model) and our carb is a 32 PHN-2 , and there might be slight differences between the two we decided to ask here on Thesamba before doing any irreversible modifications (like drilling that air hole).

So, is the Solex 32 PHN-2 supposed to have the No. 3 air opening, allowing air to mix with the idle fuel mixture, as seen in this picture http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/32phn/11.jpg ?

If so, can someone try to measure up the hole on their 32 PHN-2 carb and post the diameter here on this thread? It would help a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Laurentiu
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

I cannot answer your question about the PHN-2 but I do have a low mileage dealer replacement PHN-1 and it is drilled.

Unfortunately I don't have anything to measure the size of the hole, what would be the best way to do that if no one else can provide the information?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Hello EverettB,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the measuring of the hole this is indeed a tricky problem. I would guess that the most precise way of doing it is using a precision conical feeler gauge, but I doubt many people have one at hand.
Another method would be finding something that fits in the hole (like a small drill bit, a piece of wire, and so on) - of course inserting the object in the hole without forcing it and than measuring the diameter of the object with a caliper.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Komissar wrote:
Hello EverettB,

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the measuring of the hole this is indeed a tricky problem. I would guess that the most precise way of doing it is using a precision conical feeler gauge, but I doubt many people have one at hand.
Another method would be finding something that fits in the hole (like a small drill bit, a piece of wire, and so on) - of course inserting the object in the hole without forcing it and than measuring the diameter of the object with a caliper.

I think you are speaking of is called a precision dowel pin gauge.......or pin gauges. Most places where you buy machinist supplies sell them.

Many places sell them in sets.....as you note.....like feeler gauges.....but they also generally sell thing singular as so many company use single pin gauges for daily use for testing of productiion drilling operations. These gauges wear out, break and get lost....so they sell them in singles so you are not destroying a set.

I cannot say if you have the same services in Romania but I would bet you do. I would closely estimate the size and order either a set or a handfuo that spans the hole diameter.

I have not seen a tapered gauge as you noted. I have seen stepped gauges that have several sizes of dowel on one gauge....but not in an ovefall size that small.

The only actual tapered gauges I have seen are specific sized...and have the go/no-go size for that one hole. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I cannot say if you have the same services in Romania but I would bet you do. I would closely estimate the size and order either a set or a handfuo that spans the hole diameter.

Hello,

Yes I can source such a tool locally, however since my carburetor has a "faulty" ( non-existant) hole I have opened this thread to ask someone with a functional one to measure that diameter on their carb, therefore I have tried to suggest a practical way of measuring that hole with a reasonable degree of accuracy without having the specialized tool.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Hello,

We are still struggling with understanding this odd carburetor.

Based on the charts found in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=540804&highlight=phn+jetting
we had drilled the idle circuit air bleed hole.

(second chart, the column dedicated to the 32 PHN 2 carb), we assumed it is the "alesage d'air de relanti" which is 1.5 in size. We have drilled it with a 1.2 mm precision drill bit, beacause that's what we had available (we can enlarge the drilling later if required).

Now, we are sill experiencing a problem: the car works and maintains a stable idle speed (and all the adjustments (idle speed and mixture) are functional) only if we unscrew the idle jet a couple of turns.
We are using however a later model idle jet - similar to the one used on PDSIT type3 carbs or the 30-32 series or type 1 carbs. That's because our PHN although NOS, did not come with an original IDLE jet.

So, can anyone confirm if the original Solex PHN idle jets are similar and interchangeable with other Type 3 and 1 idle jets, or do they have an unique tip profile?

Also, can someone post a macro picture of an original 32 PHN idle jet tip?

Thanks in advance.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Here's the one from a super nice 32 PHN-1 I have here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I pulled one from a 32 PSDIT-2 I had sitting around - it's the same.
I also had another one from another used PHN-1 - it's the same too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pelle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

32PHN-2 uses an idle jet marked 1,8 which is different from the regular ones used on 32PHN and 32PHN-1 (similar to the ones used on 32PDSIT and beetles). The regular jet will fit the carburator but the car will run like crap. It idles like you have race cam and it runs lean. In theory you could drill a .55 jet to 1,8 but you are better off finding the correct part. Get in touch with some of the guys in the German forum www.generation-luftgekuehlt.de I'm sure there will be someone that can help you.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Wow, in this case things are much clearer.
A 1.8 idle jet certainly allows much more gasoline+air mixture through the system, kind of similar to the effect we got when I unscrewed the idle jet.

I have also found a chart on this address, confirming the existance of an 1.8 idle jet.

http://type3.forumactif.com/t2508-carbu-32-phn

- No. 60, last position : "etouffoir de relanti, 1,8/12V"
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Hello,

I have another follow-up question regarding the 32 PHN-2 carb.

1. Distributor - which is the correct distributor for this carb?
And is there a Type1 distributor with a similar advance curve that can be installed rotated by 180deg. and work with this carb?

2. How exactly the accelerator pump adjustment works? (to cure the flat spot). (We are running it with a later model SVDA type1 style distributor (installed rotated at 180deg. ) , timed at 30degres advance@ 3500 rpm. )
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

the fat cap distributor, as that carburetor was only a replacement carb, never factory on a car

Can't help you on the SVDA but I think you time those at full advance with the vacuum disconnected

hope this helps
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
the fat cap distributor, as that carburetor was only a replacement carb, never factory on a car

Can't help you on the SVDA but I think you time those at full advance with the vacuum disconnected

hope this helps

Erik, I believe that carb was used on late model, 72-73, single carb engines for standard (basic) cars in Europe. I think you can use most distributors. My 63 has a factory replacement engine that is single carb and has a 205E distributor.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

ok, that makes sense. That's much newer than the parts book

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

hope this helps

Generally the SVDA's are timed at idle, with the vacuum disconnected and plugged.

Kommisar, if you check the advance with the vacuum connected and engine running at 3500 rpm, you can get as much as 40 degrees total advance at no-load or part-load throttle. This is entirely correct for an SVDA distributor; if you are checking at 3500 rpm with the vacuum disconnected you aren't getting enough advance, which may explain your flat spot.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Thanks I will redo the timing settings. What I have done is setting it at 3500 rpm with the vacuum off (and the vacuum port capped on the carb).

So the ideea is that for a later-style SVDA distributor, the correct procedure is setting it at 7,5deg BTDC at idle, with the vacuum hose off (and the port on the carburetor covered) right?
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Solex 32 PHN-2 oddity Reply with quote

Komissar wrote:
Thanks I will redo the timing settings. What I have done is setting it at 3500 rpm with the vacuum off (and the vacuum port capped on the carb).

So the ideea is that for a later-style SVDA distributor, the correct procedure is setting it at 7,5deg BTDC at idle, with the vacuum hose off (and the port on the carburetor covered) right?

That sounds about right. Let us know how it works.
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: