Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to me 72 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Doesnt look like you are using that...You can block it off. Take the tops of 2 cans (like a soup can you open with a can opener) A little matching black paint. One on top and bottom of hole. Drill hole in center and use a nut and bolt to pull the two together. Hole filled.
Your gonna need that engine seal too. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Doesnt look like you are using that...You can block it off. Take the tops of 2 cans (like a soup can you open with a can opener) A little matching black paint. One on top and bottom of hole. Drill hole in center and use a nut and bolt to pull the two together. Hole filled.
Your gonna need that engine seal too. Smile

cool, thanks!
seals are on order...then the fun of trying to get them installed...
VW-4-2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Your rear engine tin seems fine, but you are missing the seal and a pre-heat tube for the original oil bath air cleaner (the open hole in the rear tin).
You have a vacuum take off port on the carb that needs to be plugged 9front left side). I can't remember all about the rear seat belts in Ghias, legislation was an issue, so VW didn't offer them as the rear seat was to be a cargo area> Don't quote me on that. My '68 & '72 didn't come with any or have the provisions for mounting them in the rear seat area.

Your speedo light bulb for the oil pressure indicator might be burnt out, if the wire is connected to the sending unit at the engine.

Learn as you go. Have fun driving it. Ask questions as you go to feel comfortable with any decision you make with your Ghia. Most of the people in the VW community are nice and helpful. You'll quickly recognize the jerks when you come across them.

I'll send you an e-mail after viewing your pics closely.
The melted fresh air screen= heating up the fender to do body work with the plastic vent still in the car. The Samba has good Ghia parts for sale all the time. Don't forget to donate to the Samba

Canada Clyde.....Volks-R-Us Club.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/posting.php?mode=...61ca9e2b0#
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Boring Sunday, still lots of snow on the ground and wet streets.
Cleaning up nose parts that I recently got from House of Ghia.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tape on the boxes is because they had small cracks in them and I gorilla glued them back together.
Now off to put on the car.
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Here we go again, getting loaded on the truck....

Since I have taken ownership, she has had the most miles put on it by being on the back of a flatbed or car carrier....

I sent Rosie off yesterday to Eurotek motors (eurotek.ca/) in Almonte for some work. I met with the owners of Eurotek, Ryan and Chris on a Saturday when I got the car and some parts I have accumulated dropped off.
I wasn't able to get the car started yesterday as it had sat for a couple of months in the garage during a great Canadian winter. We were still able to get it on the truck and over to the shop.

Looking forward to getting the needed work done now so that I can enjoy the Summer!
More to follow from Eurotek adventure
briggsy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Welcome Fellow Canadian you Came to the Right Place, these Guys in this Form are so Knowledgeable about WELL Everything .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Update: Been quite the winter - way too much snow.
The car is still at Eurotek getting mechanics done - lots done....
I was lucky enough to get charcoal canisters and oil bath filter from board member VW-4-2. I have been cleaning them up and working on them.

Here are some of the plastic canister images for reference

Canister taken apart

Fill line inside the canister (highlighted in red)

Lid

Inside the canister

Front - anyone know what this looks like inside?

I am in process of getting more charcoal to refill the main canister.

I also got some rain gutter trim that I am cleaning up. For those interested here is a shot of the profile for the trim

there is a set a seals that are available not sure how they work or go together
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Getting stuff ready for re-installation of oil bath stand set up. The stand that I got from Ryan Hagan a little while ago came with the original rubber plugs that are dried out and cracked.

Looking for replacements I found C16-111-110 - OE QUALITY - REAR APRON PLUGS BEETLE 52-79 - PAIR from CIP1.

Here is the original (on the left) with the ones from CIP1.

The new ones are a little different, seem a little smaller and come packaged as 2, and of course the stand needs 3...

not sure if these are the exact ones to use, however they are as close as I can find.
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

I cut an end off of the plastic vapor canister to see what was inside

Turns out...nothing...

that answers that question

The canister has 113 201 891 A on the outside as a part number. Inside the ends have 113 201 892 in plastic.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

camfella04 wrote:

Turns out...nothing...

I'd venture a guess that while cuting that end off, you must have accidentally let all of the vapors spill out.

That's too bad - OEM vapors are near impossible to find these days, and the reproduction vapors just aren't worth a damn..
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Quote:
OEM vapors are near impossible to find these days
Code:

Not only impossible, UNOBTAINABLE!

camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
camfella04 wrote:

Turns out...nothing...

I'd venture a guess that while cuting that end off, you must have accidentally let all of the vapors spill out.

That's too bad - OEM vapors are near impossible to find these days, and the reproduction vapors just aren't worth a damn..

Was wondering why the basement smelled like money after I cut it open!
Very Happy
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Other than cutting open vapor canisters to find it empty…things have been progressing well on the 72…Can’t wait till the weather is better to have some fun

The lads at Eurotek have been plugging away and getting things done right.
The engine has been rebuilt and looking and sounding sweet

Pretty sure that the Junior mints add at least another ˝ horsepower

The new exhaust is in and the final tins to go on soon:

Front End:

The not so good news: When I went out to visit last weekend I got a chance to get under the car and have Ryan and Chris show me stuff. The floors are not in great shape and will need to be replaced down the road. As well, the body work done on the rocker panels was less than great.

While the car has been at Eurotek I have been busy at home, getting stuff ready to go in the car.

I modded an air cleaner as described in this article: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424278 I had to do some google image searching to find all the images that don’t seem to be appearing anymore.

I also did the carbon canister refresh as shown here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...;start=140

I also cleaned the air cleaner thermostat:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=543232&postorder=desc

Also on my list of things to get done is the rebuilding of a set of hinges for drivers door:
following this article https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...28156815c1

Lots to do before spring!!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Congrats on the progress!! Very Happy Bummer on the floors. Sad
You may want to re-think using the red see thru dist cap. There's a reason they sell for $3.99. Sad
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

I got the birth certificate today that I ordered in November.
I now have when it was originally shipped to Toronto Canada and the day it was first registered in Canada (in Thunder bay in 1975) along with changes of title up to the point I bought it. I posted the docs in another thread on M codes.
In Ontario Canada, we have "used vehicle information package" that is supposed to be part of every vehicle sale in Ontario - it is often not....I had to purchase my own. This gives me names of every owner and where it was registered. Unfortunately it does not give the mileage.

I got her back from the lads at Eurotek - they did a fantastic job

H4 headlights that were installed

Electrical before and after

All the lights work now and the spaghetti is gone!

Engine bay

Summer is starting to rear its head here, so getting some driving in...
I swapped driver side door hinges out with rebuilt ones. Less than fun putting the door back on by myself and I did some paint damage to the door revealing previous repair work.

Last year I joined the Karmann Ghia club of Great Britain seeing if on the off chance a previous owner may have been a member of the Klub at some point. Turns out I am the first Canadian member, so that didn't quite work as planned. Rolling Eyes
I was asked by the nice folks in the club if I would write up a little article on the car for the Karmann Komment magazine. I was honoured to do so seeing how the cars in the magazine are in far better shape than mine "Rosie" is. I wrote a long winded ramble and my fiancé, bless her heart made it make sense....
Got some more work planned for the weekend then the next big thing will be Busfusion in beautiful Almonte Ontario in June!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Am glad your Ghia is becoming more road-worthy even if you had to contract out so much of the work.

Did Eurotek find any single item which caused your previous unreliable running? What was the general condition of the insides of the engine, having rebuilt it? Good that the shop rotated the generator 1/4 turn clockwise to the proper orientation position.

I'm surprised to not see the cooling air system "sled tins" in this shot, which are positioned between the engine case and the heater boxes. The upper two screws on each of them are nearly impossible to effectively fasten with the engine in place. You also mentioned "thermostat" in one of your later photos. In this same shot it is not (yet) installed. Hope the shop did not overlook this important item, especially in your cold climate.

As to your rear seat safety belts, those would've been retrofitted by a PO. A '72 Ghia has inertia-reel retracting safety belts for the front seats. Had the factory installed rear belts, they'd have been inertia reels as well. To best of my knowledge, the Ghia was not certified as a 4-seater for the North American market. The ones in your car are older type from either a late '60's Beetle or Type 3. Did you get an owner;s manual with the car? If not, there is one from a '73 in the tech section here. A '73 is very similar to your '72, but I did not see a reference to rear belts in it. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_72ghia.php
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Am glad your Ghia is becoming more road-worthy even if you had to contract out so much of the work.

Did Eurotek find any single item which caused your previous unreliable running? What was the general condition of the insides of the engine, having rebuilt it? Good that the shop rotated the generator 1/4 turn clockwise to the proper orientation position.

I'm surprised to not see the cooling air system "sled tins" in this shot, which are positioned between the engine case and the heater boxes. The upper two screws on each of them are nearly impossible to effectively fasten with the engine in place. You also mentioned "thermostat" in one of your later photos. In this same shot it is not (yet) installed. Hope the shop did not overlook this important item, especially in your cold climate.

As to your rear seat safety belts, those would've been retrofitted by a PO. A '72 Ghia has inertia-reel retracting safety belts for the front seats. Had the factory installed rear belts, they'd have been inertia reels as well. To best of my knowledge, the Ghia was not certified as a 4-seater for the North American market. The ones in your car are older type from either a late '60's Beetle or Type 3. Did you get an owner;s manual with the car? If not, there is one from a '73 in the tech section here. A '73 is very similar to your '72, but I did not see a reference to rear belts in it. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/8_72ghia.php

I figured the engine needed a good going over when I got it home. Before the gents at Eurotek did their magic, it felt sluggish and sounded like it was backfiring. I didn't get much time to drive it before winter hit and it went to Eurotek. Plus these guys know their air cooled and came highly recommended through the local VW club.
The image was from before the car was completed. The tins are all in place and looking great.
I did replace the thermostat in the air filter set up. I got the thermostat, gasket and clip at a pretty good price at my local VW dealership.
Thanks for the info on the rear belts. One of the items I switched out after getting the car back. The ones that came with the car were in pretty rough shape.
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Getting so damned discouraged with the Ghia....
I got the car back from the shop, it was running a little rough. I ran the car back out to the guys about 3 weeks ago and they replaced the carb and distributor with new ones I got through CIP1 in Canada.

It was running like a dream!
I drove it back to my place taking the back roads. Running fantastic, I could not be happier, this was what I was looking forward too.
The roads were absolute crap and some stretches you couldn't avoid the pot holes because the whole road was a pot hole.

I was about ten minutes out from my place and it started stalling out every time I took my foot off the accelerator. I managed to coast in back to my place. Restarting every time I had to stop or slow down.

Since then I have adjusted the carb and had a local shop do some adjustments on Friday. It was running a little better for about 15 minutes, then started stalling out again.
Ill be taking back to the local shop on Tuesday again to see if they can do more adjustments.
The oil and gen lights come on when I stall out.

Does it need more carb adjusting?
Crap and corruption in fuel line?
Vapour lock?

It is getting really aggravating - all I have poured into this car - from what I have paid for it, to what I have put in it....the cost per mile is getting ridiculous and frustrating to say the least....

Anyway, felling really frustrated - summer is finally here after a brutal winter and all I want to do is cruise about without having to need to take it to the shop every week....
Photos of engine from today (as I stood there admiring and cursing it)

fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

Sounds like classic fuel starvation to me..
What's the condition of the gas tank? the screen could be blocked with crap or a foreign object that's making it's way around the drain while driving..
How's the condition of the tank venting? everything as it should be?
When this condition happens again,remove the gas cap and see what happens
camfella04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to me 72 Ghia Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Sounds like classic fuel starvation to me..
What's the condition of the gas tank? the screen could be blocked with crap or a foreign object that's making it's way around the drain while driving..
How's the condition of the tank venting? everything as it should be?
When this condition happens again,remove the gas cap and see what happens

I just picked up the car from my local shop who swapped the fuel filter and did a minor adjustment to the carb - still running rough.
Struggled to get it home (a 2 minute drive from where I live) and stalled all the way home. Got it in my garage and let it idle to see if it would stall out so I could open the gas cap.
It would just about die out, then kick back in, run rough, rev for a bit then start stalling out again. I never did get to open the cap after stalling. I did look down the pipe when I shut it off. Didn't look horrible from what I could see.
Here is a quick sketch of the venting set up

Turns our the line from the front expansion tank to charcoal filter along the bottom of the car is not there.

Thanks for the insight, all is greatly appreciated!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: