Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about digital camera batteries
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

We all know that if you charge up a digital camera battery then let the camera sit for a year or two unused, the battery will swell up and die...

....my question is this: What if a digital camera is purchased, but never charged up, but rather is left sitting for 3 or 4 years on the shelf at home. Will this camera's battery still be good once it is charged up and used regularly?

Thanks
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
We all know that if you charge up a digital camera battery then let the camera sit for a year or two unused, the battery will swell up and die...

Not true of the Li-ion batteries that most digital cameras have come with for the last 10 years or so.

epowell wrote:
....my question is this: What if a digital camera is purchased, but never charged up, but rather is left sitting for 3 or 4 years on the shelf at home. Will this camera's battery still be good once it is charged up and used regularly?

Thanks

The battery should work fine, again if it's Li-ion. If it's Ni-Cad or Ni-MH you might be out of luck. Fully charge it, run it until it's dead then fully charge it again. Should be okay.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

Oh really??

So I found a couple of Canon camera in excellent condition for very cheap and they both have NB4L http://estore.canon.ca/shop/en-CA/catalog/product-...CpIUi0rLIU
batteries.

These cameras are 6 years old and not used at all... both batteries were slightly bulging (swelling), and I turned down these cameras because I figured the batteries will die soon.

I wonder if I made a mistake?
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
Oh really??

So I found a couple of Canon camera in excellent condition for very cheap and they both have NB4L http://estore.canon.ca/shop/en-CA/catalog/product-...CpIUi0rLIU
batteries.

These cameras are 6 years old and not used at all... both batteries were slightly bulging (swelling), and I turned down these cameras because I figured the batteries will die soon.

I wonder if I made a mistake?

The only reason they would swell would be from overcharging or long exposure to direct heat. The proper Canon chargers cannot overcharge, so it's either the latter, or a cheap third-party charger was used.
That link is for MSRP pricing. In the store the batteries are much cheaper, or you can find quality third-party brands (Delkin) that are inexpensive but don't hold a charge as long as the authentic Canon battery.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

So the NB4L is a Li-on....

I see... so you figure that those tow batteries might still be OK even if slightly swollen? ...or once slightly swollen are they damaged?

The guy had charged them up 2 weeks before showing me, and they seemed to work fine.

The cheapest I found them in Vancouver (where I am) is $20 each incl tax.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

I would stay away from the swollen batteries. Make a deal without them and get the $20 if they are from a reputable brand.
Drop by or call Leo's Cameras 604 685-5331 for more info. I used to work there and know they will tell you the truth and not just try and sell you something. They may even have a better deal on a used camera.
Ask for Jeff — he's the battery expert.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

Yeah, when I felt them - the swelling is very slight, but I think I know enough to recognize a swollen battery - my guess is that those batteries won't last more than 6 - 12 months.

Thanks for the tip about Leo's Camera... I will call Jeff.

Thanks!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

Or go on Amazon and get some pretty good batteries for very little money. Buy several, have them all charged up before you leave and never have to worry about a dead battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Or go on Amazon

Amazon and ebay are cheap if you live in the US.... from Canada, not so much because shipping is so expensive.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about digital camera batteries Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
OB Bus wrote:
Or go on Amazon

Amazon and ebay are cheap if you live in the US.... from Canada, not so much because shipping is so expensive.

Not to mention the exchange rate...and the shame of not supporting a helpful local business. Wink

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: