Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

NFL ratings
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Logistics is going to prevent games to be scheduled for top matches.
It isn't just a matter of moving game times let alone the day Wink

If you follow college football, especially the SEC, much, then you hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer in describing what ended up having to be done to reschedule the Florida/LSU game because of Hurricane Matthew (turns out they didn't need to postpone the game in the first place, but that's a whole another story). It was (and is--they finally play Saturday) a total clusterf***.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
60ragtop wrote:
Logistics is going to prevent games to be scheduled for top matches.
It isn't just a matter of moving game times let alone the day Wink

If you follow college football, especially the SEC, much, then you hit the nail on the head with a sledgehammer in describing what ended up having to be done to reschedule the Florida/LSU game because of Hurricane Matthew (turns out they didn't need to postpone the game in the first place, but that's a whole another story). It was (and is--they finally play Saturday) a total clusterf***.

And for that reason they decided to go ahead & play the NC state game which ultimately was the cause of a flood related death of a fan returning from the game.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

Fantasy Football is down over 50%, more towards 75% I heard, that is a big reason for declined ratings. Also, election coverage was taking viewers. Some of the games big stars were not there, Tom Brady suspended, Tony Romo out, Russell Wilson playing like sh*t, Andrew Luck running for his life etc....

A lot of teams are not fun to watch, 3 yard pass, 2 yard pass....no one throwing down field. Football is suffering from bigger, stronger, faster! Look at some of these guys, big guys running like a running back.

If you watched Seattle/New England Sunday, seemed like Seattle had 15 players on defense, they were everywhere.

Roger Goodell is a piece of work too. He is a money maker for the league, but spending $22 million, yes $22 fu&*n million to investigate Tom Brady for ball air pressure, resulting in, "he likely knew something." That has to turn people off.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I just watch the University of Alabama play. The level of play is almost as good, Coach Saban would strangle any player that mouthed off or disrespected the flag, and my son went there. Who needs the NFL?

With this, what makes college football so great? Sounds like the powerful controlling the powerless. Saban, I believe, is the one that recruited kids, then left that University, correct? So he can just up and leave, students can not. Not sure I want a coach strangling my child cause of basic American rights.

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

I havent watched the last 2 years. Was a Cowboys fan since 1974. I look to see what happens after the fact but i refuse to watch any NFL games anymore. I have never been a Jerry Jones fan for starters. I too feel like it has turned into flag football. no thank you
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
I just watch the University of Alabama play. The level of play is almost as good, Coach Saban would strangle any player that mouthed off or disrespected the flag, and my son went there. Who needs the NFL?

With this, what makes college football so great? Sounds like the powerful controlling the powerless. Saban, I believe, is the one that recruited kids, then left that University, correct? So he can just up and leave, students can not. Not sure I want a coach strangling my child cause of basic American rights.

Actually, yes, the students can leave.

Those people are playing a game as a JOB, yes even at a college level, their tuition is the pay. Employers have (some stricter than others) sets of rules, codes of conduct, & appearance/uniform requirements that must be followed. If you don't want to follow the rules defined by the employer, then you should be fired.

The first time one of those overpaid, prima donnas broke the rules, the league should have fined the ever loving crap out of the individual. The second infraction should have resulted in a breach of contract & the individual/s should have been let go & not been allowed back into the league for any team. They still have their basic American rights, as a broke burger flipper.

I personally think it's hilarious that they are choosing to kneel down. I'm surprised no one has pointed out the irony in that gesture.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

I'll stick with the CFL, it doesn't suffer from any of the issues mentioned here, playoffs just started last week. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

I think maybe you're misunderstanding my point. Yes, coaches leave schools voluntarily for other opportunities. Saban, Carroll, Harbaugh, Meyer, the list goes on and on. But players leave too--it's called transferring. Alabama lost its #2 QB and a starting DB this year due to transfers. As for strangling rights, he is teaching these kids to respect their school, respect the game and their opponents, and above all respect themselves. That's all society needs, more trash talking mouthy self centered jerks. Now get off my lawn. Wink
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

The competition is lousy this year. Look at this chart in today's NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/nfl...l&_r=0

When the Patriots have a 94% chance of making the playoffs, and the other teams in their division basically don't have a prayer (Dolphins 25%, Bills 14%, Jets 1%) who cares about the games.

And it's not just the Patriots. Chiefs are at 88%, Cowboys 99%, Seahawks 91%, and the Falcons are at 78%--so much for the old "any team on any given Sunday nonsense."

Compare that with College where 3 of the top 4 teams lost last week. College is where it's at this year.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Long-roofs wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

Actually, yes, the students can leave.

Those people are playing a game as a JOB, yes even at a college level, their tuition is the pay. Employers have (some stricter than others) sets of rules, codes of conduct, & appearance/uniform requirements that must be followed. If you don't want to follow the rules defined by the employer, then you should be fired.

The first time one of those overpaid, prima donnas broke the rules, the league should have fined the ever loving crap out of the individual. The second infraction should have resulted in a breach of contract & the individual/s should have been let go & not been allowed back into the league for any team. They still have their basic American rights, as a broke burger flipper.

I personally think it's hilarious that they are choosing to kneel down. I'm surprised no one has pointed out the irony in that gesture.

I understand students/players can leave a university, but they have to sit a year, unless something has changed. A coach can recruit players, then leave, that coach sometimes is the only reason a player goes to that school.

Tuition is not always enough for players, which by the way, can not have a job while playing. So where does spending/bill money come from? Sure, school is covered, I understand that. I am talking some very wealthy, tax exempt universities making train loads of money off folks beating themselves silly, free labor. Look at what Bowl games and March Madness makes.

I am more interested in sending a little to players, does the top have to have it all!

--
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

Im pretty sure that a lot of people that have had to pay their or their kids way through these colleges would think that an athletics scholarship was pretty generous by itself.

Perhaps the better idea is to eliminate the sports aspect from college so the people could concentrate on a degree vs a career in sports & therefore eliminate the grossly overpaid staff & overfunded programs.

Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Im pretty sure that a lot of people that have had to pay their or their kids way through these colleges would think that an athletics scholarship was pretty generous by itself.

Perhaps the better idea is to eliminate the sports aspect from college so the people could concentrate on a degree vs a career in sports & therefore eliminate the grossly overpaid staff & overfunded programs.

I had my two kids go through college. One on an academic scholarship, the other we had to pay for. Those scholarships, especially if the student is living on campus, are worth a lot of $$$. Trust me. I agree with the overfunded part as only a handful of collegiate athletic programs actually make money and the overwhelming source of income is from football--ticket sales but mainly TV revenue.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

Quote:
I am talking some very wealthy, tax exempt universities making train loads of money off folks beating themselves silly, free labor. Look at what Bowl games and March Madness makes

Several train loads. ...Nasty NCAA secrets for the win.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Kitminxen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

More likely was the circus of a presidential race, combined with constant play stoppages. It's not like the anthem is all of a sudden of primary importance to sports fans because a couple guys won't stand up for it. It's a nice headline maybe, but a BS story in my book.
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: NFL ratings Reply with quote

One thing to remember about TNF, AFAIK all the teams must play a Thursday night game to make it fair for all the teams, that's why it can be tough to schedule top wanted match ups that night and why there are losing teams playing.

German Folks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: