Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

worn synchros, what do i look for?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

I have my transaxle apart and plan to try and do some repairs myself. first thing is what do worn synchros look like? any pics you might have would help.
1965 Notchback S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Measure the stand off, that will tell if good or not. I usually use a lower stand off # for a race box due to it is not going 1000k miles and it is lower rolling resistance. Typically around .035"

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Matthew Tolbert wrote:
any pics you might have would help.

The photos are in your Bentley manual. The tolerances and wear limits are there too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Here is a thread that will help out

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7901068
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm sure there will be more questions to come
1965 Notchback S
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

It's not a bad question, I was surprised myself how simple it is.
If the syncro is a good fit on it's cone then it will work well, and the amount of gap is easy to measure. All of the cars out there that don't shift right......you'd think it would be more complex, but it isn't.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Left synchro bad, right synchro good

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Here are all of mine with measurements

1st gear gap is .039"

2nd gear gap is .046"

3rd gear gap is .045"

4th gear gap is .035"

1965 Notchback S

Last edited by Matthew Tolbert on Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Pics are decieving, but 4th gear "looks" to be ok. Have you measured the stand off with light even pressure against them?

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

yeah, Why can't you just measure the gap?
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

I edited my last post to add the gap measurements. It seems mine have seen better days so the next question is what syncros are available for a 1965 type III 6 volt transaxle? My 1st gear synchro ID is smaller than the rest. 2nd, 3rd and 4th all look identical to me. Am I correct in thinking I can get new ones for 2,3 and 4 but would have to find a good used or NOS for 1st to keep from having to swap to later gears?
1965 Notchback S

Last edited by Matthew Tolbert on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

that first synchro is not easy to find, but it is available. Not cheap, but available. Check the classifieds, and message me if you come up empty.
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

That's what I figured. Are the other 3 available new? I will be on the look out for the 1st gear one. Does anyone have the part# so I can be searching for it? And Esde I will definitely be in touch if I can't find one.

Now my next question is regarding the slider. When I took it apart the round spring wasn't installed like I think it should have been although all of the springs on both sliders were the same way.

How I found them

How I think they should be

1965 Notchback S
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

second and fourth are within new limits, if you have measured right.

Switch fourth and third.....ta da!, fixed Razz (well, ok not perfect but better at least)
You should be able to get parts from shops who rebuild these.
I have no idea of the quality or fit of what's on the market for new, so I'd ask a pro, or better yet walk in with your gears in hand.

Last edited by modok on Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

I will measure again to be sure and will also swap them around to see what happens.
1965 Notchback S
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

Your third and fourth gear labels on wrong on your pictures.

You can still get VW new 3rd and 4th synchros from Weddle, but they are drying up and soon you will only be able to do Brazilian120's for new.

Personally I don't know what you're building for, but if it's a cruiser or low mileage play toy I would go with swithing them around on 3 and 4, switch cones if you need to as well.

3rd is the easy one to press off, or some use a bench method. That 4th you can do with the V in the standard press blocks that come with presses.

The spring clips should touch all three keys, and the gap should be offset side to side. Look the 1-2 clips over for wear on the keys cutting into them, sometimes it's a mild rub and other times they are found to have some heavy flats into them.

I tooth brush clean the insde of the slider to geta good feel out of it. The slider has a 3rd gear and 4th gear side, the same as the clutch hub.

I don't know the early synchro pattern off the top of my head, I'm more into the IRS years. Personally if you're not looking for brand new mileage I would take the .001" less and stay with the VW synchro.

What car and motor are you building this for?
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

It is a 65 notchback with a mild 1776. I drove it a lot and have been shifting it slow and easy pausing between gears for quite a while. If I tried to shift at a normal speed without pausing it would grind. It never jumped out of gear and felt like it engaged all the gears well I just had to do it slowly.
1965 Notchback S
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

First gear should use 113 311 247A, 2-4 would be 113 311 295D. You are far better off to use later 1-2 idlers, clutch hub and associated parts then use 113 311 269B synchros for 1-2

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

I have a odd ball new syncro in my stash. I dont have a clue as to what it fits.it sits about 1/4" off a 3&4th cone. I got it with a old dealer buyout lot. it dose have the remanants of the made in west germany stamp on it(the 3rd&4th's I have also have that stamp but no part number) how do I tell what it fits? is it what he needs?
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: worn synchros, what do i look for? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
First gear should use 113 311 247A, 2-4 would be 113 311 295D. You are far better off to use later 1-2 idlers, clutch hub and associated parts then use 113 311 269B synchros for 1-2

I really don't know the early stuff, so the 1-2 clutch hub changed more than just losing engagement teeth around the outside?

I have seen at least 1 early 1st idler and it is notiably thinner than later idlers. I also need to figure out the differences of 2nd gear idlers. Just found a second that all the engagement teeth seemed the same size.

Was there a strength difference in ten tooth beetle main shafts?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: