Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some advice please - Driver vs. Passenger fender arch
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
58bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Some advice please - Driver vs. Passenger fender arch Reply with quote

I have a 58 beetle which is stunning it's the first beetle I've owned allthough the wait was worth it,just one thing if someone could advise me!from the back of the car the rear passenger arch seems to bend in more than the drivers side it's probably by about nearly an inch,either that or the drivers side needs to be bent in,I'm quite fussy but I'm sure it shouldn't be like that or is it possible because it is quite old that things like that are quite normal?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Some advice please Reply with quote

Taking some measurements is the only way to know for sure. A cheap Laser Level would help with the accuracy.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Some advice please Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,it definitly seems out there a difference in gap from the wheel to the arch,your right I'm sure a more accurate gauge would work best,if it is out like I suspect what would be the fix?would the arch be able to be pulled out or would I need a new arch possibly?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Some advice please Reply with quote

Could be a replacement fender. Also, I've seen several cars with factory fenders that had different gaps side to side. My oval is one of them. Remember, these were cheap economy cars, not Rolls Royces.

brad
58bluebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Some advice please Reply with quote

Yeh I did think that mate,and like I said I am a fussy sod so really I just wanted to know if it could be something quite normal or could I improve it somehow
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Some advice please - Driver vs. Passenger fender arch Reply with quote

In the beetle threads there are numerous threads on the topic of aftermarket fenders. There really is no alteration one can make of a an aftermarket fender that is so far off from factory. Not only will the lateral "roll" over vary, but the diameter of the rolled lip, predisposition of headlight buckets, signal light holes, etc.. Even the running board mounts are known to vary. Take close measurements of the positions of your lights- to make sure they are perfectly mirrored in placement from side to side.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: