Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI interior anyone try it
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donf407
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Getting a big bonus from work said screw bills ,considering redoing my interior in my 62 Ghia with aTMI kit from JBUG with everything new 12inch inserts in the seats The complete interior seats,headliner ,carpet door panels,armrest,sunvisers new foam and all will be about 1,200 bucks give or take a few bucks my question is has anyone done this and what kind of results did you get pics would be nice
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Have you read thru these?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...=titleonly
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

I purchased TMI seat covers, carpet and door/quarter panels through JBugs back in January. You may think about waiting until December, as they usually have a year end sale and you can get 10-15% off.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Donf407
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

How did they turn out do they look good ?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Donf407 wrote:
How did they turn out do they look good ?

I'm pleased with it. I'm located in the Winter Park/Winter Springs area and may be able to meet up so you can check it out if interested.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

It's not the quality of the covers, it's the person installing it that you have to worry about

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

I would rather spend the $1200 at a local upholstery shop, where I can pick out the materials/colors/style in advance. Guaranteed fit with NO labor on my part! Very Happy
P.S. TMI base carpet is crappy!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

My 2c: when I was deciding on upholstery earlier this year I requested sample swatches of material from both TMI and Sewfine. There was no comparison -- Sewfine's material was infinitely better quality. Softer, more flexible, much tighter weave etc. The TMI of the same pattern was coarsely woven and scratchy. Sewfine cost more but I have no regrets.

Though if I had it to do over I would seriously consider the advice above this post -- having a local upholstery shop do the whole job. I had mine professionally installed but it was only afterward that I asked what he would have charged to do the entire job, including supplying fabric. It came out the same.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Out of curiosity what was the cost for a full interior install? I called someone locally just to install a new headliner and was quoted $375 with me supplying the headliner. I can't remember if it included them installing the rear window or not?
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Out of curiosity what was the cost for a full interior install? I called someone locally just to install a new headliner and was quoted $375 with me supplying the headliner. I can't remember if it included them installing the rear window or not?

If you have ever installed or watched the installation of a headliner, you would understand. Its a HUGE pain in the ass.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

If you have ever installed or watched the installation of a headliner, you would understand. Its a HUGE pain in the ass.

No doubt, it's why I made a few calls and decided to live with what I had. Just was curious what the going rate was for installing seat covers, door panels and carpet was.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

My local guy charged me $750 (not including headliner). But I'm in the San Francisco area and everything costs $$$$$ here. Shocked

It took him a day and a half. He had a lot of tweaking to do to fit new padding but the effort shows.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
My local guy charged me $750 (not including headliner). But I'm in the San Francisco area and everything costs $$$$$ here. Shocked

It took him a day and a half. He had a lot of tweaking to do to fit new padding but the effort shows.

I'm in Orlando and things cost $$$ here as well. Hard to really say exactly how long it took as I did mine as I found the time, but there was a lot of prep work that most shops may or may not have done. I had to have one of the frames repaired, I put sound deadening down, I ospho'd and painted the pans, painted the seat frames, put plastic moisture barrier up etc. I think mine turned out decent. Not perfect, but nothing about my car is perfect.
Donf407
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Im in the Orlando area as well friend of mine had the two front seats done the guy charged him 400 and I was not impressed he used crap vinyl and his seems we're not straight I saw a video on line the guy said if you get the pre made foam from TMI there covers fit over them nice as they are thicker then stock I figure I'll watch the DVD that comes with the kit and give one a try if I'm haveing trubble I can take it somewhere to finish it
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

The front tops were the most difficult IMO. Lots of threads mentioned needing two people which scared me a bit as I work solo, but it wasn't that bad. There are some tricks that make it a bit easier. I also used the foam as I can't stand the dust and crap that the fiber padding creates. I had one or two minor complaints about the fit, but in general happy with it.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Note ; if anyone in the ST. Pete area needs a headliner put in ; I Know a local shop that will do it for $200 plus your headliner .

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Ive goten some tmi stuff....not impressed.
Donf407
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

200$ is that for a Vw bug or Ghia does he take out the windows ? That is cheap
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

I've had a couple of sets of TMI seat covers in my 62 dating back to the mid 90s. They are OK, but not awesomely great or anything. I never really liked their early door panels, the pattern of material is more like the 64-65 era even on the 63/older and it doesn't look right to me. So when I restored my 62 last time around 12 years ago I peeled off my old stock door panel material and stuck it onto different cards. Well those backing cards got to be in bad shape (they were pretty cheap) and probably largely due to the fact that I never did put on a vapor barrier. So a couple months ago I decided to just go and buy some TMIs despite my dislike of the vinyl material.

I hadn't seen any new TMI cards in person in several years though, and while they hadn't changed on the material, but the cards impressed me, they were sturdy and felt like they were waterproofed/rubberized. I'm still deciding though whether or not to try transplanting the original vinyl over to another set of cards, the piping is very brittle now though so I'd have to do something about that.

In the meantime I'll run the TMI panels though, and despite the waterproofing I went and finally put in vapor barriers before installing them. Kept the stock rear panels though.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Donf407
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI interior anyone try it Reply with quote

Jbugs sent me a 15% off offer call me A sucker but I want ahead and ordered the new interior at 900$ for the headliner ,two-tone seat ,door panels, carpet, sunvisors,armrest ,doorhandles and window cranks I couldn't go wrong
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: