Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heat Sensor Ideas
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sqbk1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

If my research is correct this is the Head heat sensor for the FI that has been removed from my 71 sqr.

Any good ideas of for a useful repurpose of the sensor or the hole?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
beetlejc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

So THAT's what that hole is! Thought for sure it was for a sensor of some sort but knowing it was part of the FI (that has been removed from my car) makes sense now.

Could it continue use as a temp sensor of some sort?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

Those are NLA, and suitable substitutes have not been found and tested yet. Folks are working on it.

That is a cylinder head temp sensor, and it is not a major driver of fuel mixture. For those still running FI, however, you can't just disconnect it like your clipped off sensor is.

You should substitute a fixed-value resistor that represents fully warm resistance. This will let it run, though it may run a little lean during warmup. A fixed resistor of about 2KΩ is about right. You might get a couple more at values like 1KΩ and 500Ω and then see which works best hot and cold.

You install them to the harness like the stock sensor, and ground the other end.

For your non-FI car I'd just leave it there. The wire is broken off flush and so you probably can't use that sensor for anything. That sensor location is a little slow-reacting to be used for a cylinder head temp gauge.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Those are NLA, and suitable substitutes have not been found and tested yet. Folks are working on it.

That is a cylinder head temp sensor, and it is not a major driver of fuel mixture. For those still running FI, however, you can't just disconnect it like your clipped off sensor is.

You should substitute a fixed-value resistor that represents fully warm resistance. This will let it run, though it may run a little lean during warmup. A fixed resistor of about 2KΩ is about right. You might get a couple more at values like 1KΩ and 500Ω and then see which works best hot and cold.

You install them to the harness like the stock sensor, and ground the other end.

For your non-FI car I'd just leave it there. The wire is broken off flush and so you probably can't use that sensor for anything. That sensor location is a little slow-reacting to be used for a cylinder head temp gauge.

Mmmmm...not quite. That sensor IS a pretty major driver of fuel mixture.

Its effect on fuel mixture from cold to hot .... while only being about 10-15% maximum......by percentage....is actually significant because of what that variation does to the combustion/running efficiency under load and at idle...and therefore what it does to vacuum signature...and therefore what it does to MPS input...which IS a major fuel mixture input.

So in reality a 1-2% variation in the baseline fuel mixture from the CHT or temp sensor 2...whatever you want to call it...creates a real world variation in fuel mixture of about 3-5%.

I have done quite a bit of testing over the years and have found several workarounds....all of which actually function better than the factory sensor so far. It depends on how much rigmarole in wiring and setting up you want to do.

A fixed resistor of 2KΩ would make it run stone cold rich all the time with mileage when warmed up down around 18mpg.
So 2kΩ is an almost perfect place to start for cold warm up....but unless its a variable resistor you control or thermistor that changes as the temp does....it will run like crap when warmed up.

If you wanted to put in a resistor that will do like you noted....just get it to run with a rough idle at warm up (and sometimes a no-start in very cold weather) and run decent but a little richer than normal....a 500-750Ω resistor would be better.

The system does not lean out any further..actually...below about 200Ω to 250Ω (it varies by system and I cant remember exactly)....but in moderate to warm weather where you are not fighting cold air....you should be down in the 175 to 225 ohm range. You need to be stable a little bit to one side of the fully warmed up ohms range so the system does not oscillate back and forth.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

Unfortunately Russ' website is lost, or I could show his table of values, which is more finely graded. All I have now is the lower graph from the Bentley that did a curve fit, causing the odd shape to the lower pink curve, which can be ignored-- the actual level cited is flat but a curve fit makes it "J-shaped at the right.

It shows it leveling out at 1KΩ to 2.5Ω. Maybe you are thinking of TS1 (intake air, upper graph?) with a value as low as 200Ω?

My point is that the car will not run at ALL without SOME resistance... infinite resistance of an open wire means dead rich running and likely a no-start. At least the 1KΩ to 2KΩ values will let it start and run.

The right solution is the type you are working on... a modern sensor that is somewhat tunable. These above are just band aids to get it running.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

No...I am not thinking or TS-1.

And...that graph you have for TS-2...is totally incorrect and off by a factor of about 9ut 200F on the temperature line...and missing punctuation from the resistance line on the left. These sensors do not go to 10 or 15 Kilo ohms (thats 15000 ohms). They start out at the coldest at about 2300 ohms.

You will also NEVER find a TS2....that does not drop below 200 ohms in weather that is 65F and above.....nor will you ever see head temps at 150F running temperature.

What that graphic is showing is true....that the sensor can reach down to 250 ohms or slightly lower by 125F.....but the problem is that your heads are heading for temps in the 300-325F range and the TS2 keeps dropping.

What is missing here in that graph is the complete scale and the time factor from start to finish.
Depending on how cold the ambient air is flowing over the heads.....the time factor for a sensor in 32F weather to go from 2000+ ohms to 125° to 150° F.....might be 7-10 minutes. You get a nice slow curve in that respect.

However in 90° weather....that time factor may be 2 minutes. In that short amount of time....the cylinders and case are barely warm....the oil is cold and you run it lean too fast.

These are the problems with the factory system. And these are the problems you get when trying to test and assign real world values to this sensor...when its not installed on the head...wrapped in a mass of metal....with a limited amount of airflow over the outside of the sensor body.

In short...the operative range of the TS2....is about 2300 ohms cold down to about 58 when its as hot as it can get.

For some cars....depending on how your MPS, fuel pressure and timing is adjusted.....2300 ohms in cold weather can be a nearly flooded cold start with a lot of cranking. 1900 to 2000 ohms may work a little better.
Likewise.....on most of the systems I have worked on....again depending on tuning level....when it drops below about 125 to 150 ohms.....while being no leaner than it is at 200-225 ohms......it cannot recover fast enough to add enrichment when needed like right after the sun goes down or after a short shutdown while you are in the store (hot start syndrome).
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

Regarding the replacements for this sensor, I have done some testing since I am still using the FI system and plan to keep it.
The Autometer is a 2259 (~$15) but requires an adapter
The Moped meter is from a piaggio or Vespa moped part number 82622R (~$6)
The Bosch is NOS [0 280 130 003-000] No Longer Available. (keeoing mine for testing, not using on my car)

The Home Made sensor was made by another Samba member DougS and you can read the discussion here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

I am thinking that reproducing the exact results of the original is going to be difficult but running one of these $5 or $10 sensors with a resistor inline will get me close enough.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

trythis wrote:
Regarding the replacements for this sensor, I have done some testing since I am still using the FI system and plan to keep it.
The Bosch is NOS [0 280 130 003-000] No Longer Available. (keeoing mine for testing, not using on my car)

The Home Made sensor was made by another Samba member DougS and you can read the discussion here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=

I am thinking that reproducing the exact results of the original is going to be difficult but running one of these $5 or $10 sensors with a resistor inline will get me close enough.

You will probabaly be fine...but you may need some fine tuning ballast for your individual state of tune. Add a variable resistor/potentiometer inline as a fine trimmer switch.

Trying to match the original sensor curve is not necessary....and was not ideal anyway. Look carefully at what the system actuallt requires, at what temperature and over what period of time.
Especially...realize that the system...neither Djet or L jet...has the resolution to care about fine sensitivity of less than about 50 ohms jumps. Just because your meter sees that the sensor makes this gradation.....does not mean the ECU cares about all of yhose fine encrements. Ray
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm the guy that Graham (trythis) was talking about. I did make a homemade sensor as well as located the moped sensor (which I haven't had many opportunities to try in an actual vehicle yet - the one time I did the engine had a hard time starting - which I attribute to me not nailing the parallel resistor that Telford Dorr suggested).

I stopped back at this thread because my '73 FI Fasty is not exhibiting a similar issue that affected my '75 FI Bus (and that went away when I replaced the sensor in that vehicle):

Occasionally I'm getting what I thought was a miss, but I now believe to be a loss of power because it seems to last for more than one cylinder of time sometimes. It seems to happen upon acceleration...the car idles like a dream, and cruises at speed pretty well, too. It happened both before and after I replaced my dist cap, rotor, and plugs (they all needed replacement). I do seem to have the proper fuel pressure (inline analog gauge installed) but can't monitor it while driving as it's attached to the engine. My fuel pump is aftermarket, but because the car drives decently well most of the time I don't believe it to be a major issue. Fuel filter is pretty recent but I haven't checked it for issues yet. I am running a Pertronix ignitor so I know one of the first suggestions will be to replace it with points and see what happens. I might replace this sensor as well.

Anyway, just wanted to see if people think it could be sensor related in this case. I am blessed to have a spare, original Bosch sensor I can use, if needed.

Thanks,
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

If it is an occasional problem, I'd sooner suspect your wiring harness or connectors, rather than the sensor itself.
trythis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Hey all,

I'm the guy that Graham (trythis) was talking about. I did make a homemade sensor as well as located the moped sensor (which I haven't had many ause it seems to last for more than one , if needed.

Thanks,
- Doug

Sorry I called you DougS,
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
If it is an occasional problem, I'd sooner suspect your wiring harness or connectors, rather than the sensor itself.

Yes....I agree. This sensor is totally incapable of producing intermittent misfires

Unless....its actually cracked internally and is shorting to 0 connectivity due to vibration.....exceedingly rare. I have seen one maybe two....do this across a couple thousand systems or more over 40 years.

However...if you have a poor connection to this sensor....it must be perfect....or having crappy old cracked harness wires.....yes....it could cause an issue....but thats not, REALLY the sensor ....is it?

Also when a connectivity issue happens as I just described......it can feel either like a power loss or like an intermittent miss.....depending on how lean or rich your overall state of tune is. By that I mean.....if you nirmally run a bit lean across the board...having this sensor drop off line ....will be a big change....lean to rich instantly. It can feel like a miss.

If you are slightly rich....and it drops off for a second......you were down on power anyway running rich and it just feels like a power loss....softer.

You should be able to replicate running pressure by revving hard while stationary and watching the gauge movement. The only thing that can change while driving...is slop in the tank....so clean it out and get rid of or change the sock filter so you KNOW that is not happening and then check pressure stability.

Do not leave the gauge inline for very long. Unless you specifically shopped and bought a high temperature/rough service gauge.....not cheap and not easy to find......bourdon tube style gauges are not accurate when operated at 158° and above....especially with high vibration added.

The pertronix is good.....but about 90% of those who do an install...do NOT do the due diligence to get proper fit on all parts. It is....in my experience....not a drop-in install. It can't be....because there is no way to get exact fit with one part number across about 50 parts numbers, several factories making distributors....across 35 years. For instance thate a4e at least 6 different points cam/shaft machining profiles just in the type 3 and 4 D-jet distributors alone.
If you search on my name I havr written an entire page...several times....about all the little pertronix module install details to clean up. Ray
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

Hello all,

So I replaced the sensor with a new Bosch one I had and...well...I hate to say it but in 3 separate drives of the car the engine hasn't missed or lost power once (knock on wood). I'm thinking that Ray's point that the connection between the old sensor might not have been the best might apply here. The old sensor wasn't very tight, and anti-seize looks to have been used in the hole in the past. I tightened the new one down a bit more than the old one so maybe that will help. I'm not really sure that the old sensor was bad, maybe just looser and anti-seize-ier than ideal. I'll let you know how things go.

Man, I wish I could go back in time and buy a bunch more of these sensors before they went out of production :-/ I know there are some promising alternatives, but OEM is always best/easiest.

Thanks,
- Doug
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
Hello all,

So I replaced the sensor with a new Bosch one I had and...well...I hate to say it but in 3 separate drives of the car the engine hasn't missed or lost power once (knock on wood). I'm thinking that Ray's point that the connection between the old sensor might not have been the best might apply here. The old sensor wasn't very tight, and anti-seize looks to have been used in the hole in the past. I tightened the new one down a bit more than the old one so maybe that will help. I'm not really sure that the old sensor was bad, maybe just looser and anti-seize-ier than ideal. I'll let you know how things go.

Man, I wish I could go back in time and buy a bunch more of these sensors before they went out of production :-/ I know there are some promising alternatives, but OEM is always best/easiest.

Thanks,
- Doug

One thing to remember with this sensor....it measures resistance to GROUND.

Perfect ground...like if you just grounded the wire from the harness to the case...is "0" ohms. If you have too much anti-seize....it either has high resistance or no resistance or can be intermittent. It must be tight so the threads are in constant contact....so the reading to the ECU will not be intermittent. Ray
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Heat Sensor Ideas Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
trythis wrote:

You will probabaly be fine...but you may need some fine tuning ballast for your individual state of tune. Add a variable resistor/potentiometer inline as a fine trimmer switch.

Trying to match the original sensor curve is not necessary....and was not ideal anyway. Look carefully at what the system actuallt requires, at what temperature and over what period of time.
Especially...realize that the system...neither Djet or L jet...has the resolution to care about fine sensitivity of less than about 50 ohms jumps. Just because your meter sees that the sensor makes this gradation.....does not mean the ECU cares about all of yhose fine encrements. Ray

If this chart is correct then my CHT is way off. The one in mt car now is a bosch [0 280 130 003 @85 F it reads 2,250 ohm , I have another that reads 2,371 OHM @ 80 F . I bought the new replacement none Bosch and it reads 1,650 Ohm @ 85F .

The issue I have is it always starts yet runs odd until it warms up a bit takes about 10 minutes . Yet on start up if I have TS1 connected it is better until it runs the 10 minutes then the idle is lower by 200 RPM and has an erratic miss or I call it unstable no load when bringing the RPM from 1,000 to close to 2000 RPM . I just deal with the 10 minute running and leave the TS1 unplugged yet I still get lousy MPG which tells me it's to rich . I don't have a way of measuring fuel to air with a sniffer. Changed the plugs out and the old ones looked black and sooty not oil black but rich black.

The Bentley does not offer any useful info on either temp sensor not even a temp range . Both the old CHT I have a well over 20 years old they vary a bit temp dependent . Perhaps I should try the new one and see what it offers because as I said if that chart is true it's way to rich . it does drop down from 2,272 OHM @85F to 77.5 ohm after 2 minutes of idle. Yet I test it read 2,272 ohm before engine start up then by the time I unplug it and connect the ohm meter takes about 1 minute then I read the 77.5 ohm so it does drop fast and I don't know heat temp actual. @ 77.5 OHM it runs fine yet it only takes 2 minutes to get there so I have no idea at that reading if it's in fact to lean . It does not help most driving is street stop and go killing the MPG I get. Yet on the free way a 50 mile round trip used a 1/4 tank . Even after I replaced all the vacuum lines and runner boots none of this has changed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: