Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Check those IRS pivot bolts!
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

Weekend over for this one...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DSTMULE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

Been there. Luckily we caught it before we lost the pivot bolt. Put one in the tool box on the buggy after that episode, might be able to help someone else down the line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

If the pivot bolt backed out and was not broken, a pivot bolt lock would have prevented that. You can buy the kit from suppliers (they are cheap) or you can fab up one using a bolt and welding the tabs in. Some people use a cotter key but if the pivot bolt loosens up the cotter key will let it fret the threads the pivot bolt screws into, A royal PITA. The bolt head method doesn't allow for any loosening up of the pivot bolt at all, you just remove the bolt plate if you ever need to take it out.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

Was the broken CV joint result of losing pivot bolt?

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
Was the broken CV joint result of losing pivot bolt?

Dale

My question too.. Cause it looks like the pivot bolt is still in place
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

yea it kinda looks as if the bracket broke/ off?!?!?
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

Yeah if you look at it and see how far away from the torsion housing the pivot point is, looks like the pivot bolt broke or lossened up and fell out. That could have caused the CV joint bolts to shear or the cv joint to pull apart if he keep driving on it. I am just guessing based on what I am seeing in the pic though.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

Yeah.... Looking at again with new insight from previous posts pivot bolt either ejected it's self or broke or mount tore off torsion tube..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
race-desert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

oh yea, I was thinking I seen the bolt still in arm! that's just the inner sleeve i'm seeing! pretty clear now-bolt just fell out deal....
B Ramsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Check those IRS pivot bolts! Reply with quote

Yeah the bolt fell out then the CV joint failed. I was up in the dunes and it was an ordeal to get it pulled out and back to camp. Thanks to a small crowd of other duners, it didn't take that long.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: