Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'55 transition year debate?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I've already done a search on what I'm trying to figure out and found nothing, so I'll say sorry in advance if I've missed something somewhere. I know the '55 to be the transition year oval and there are all kinds of different things found on this cars such as the three different styles of taillight. My question is is there such a thing as a ribbed door/ non-semaphore car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

all 55's had ribbed doors as far as i know. Confused
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rglsr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

1955 beetles had ribbed doors. Early-Mid 1955 USA spec cars had semaphores, smaller egg tail lights. Mid-Late 1955 USA spec cars had bullet turn signals, larger 1956-61 style tail lights, no semaphores.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

As previous poster noted no debate look at page 255 of Progressive Refinements 4-1-55 US spec cars got directionals. Door change didn't occur until August with the start of the 56 model year.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/progre...part_1.pdf.

I'm sure that there are some photos in the gallery of such a car.
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, you learn something new everyday on these forums. You can always count on the samba and its members for good useful information.
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

BulliBill searched for his car in the oval galllery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Yep! I own and still love that completely unrestored original paint Deluxe Sunroof Oval in the photos referred to above! Sweet old Beetle! It is the type of "transition" Oval Beetle the original poster is asking about, produced at Wolfsburg in mid-June of 1955. It is sitting under a cover down in my garage about 30 feet from me right now. I'm a very lucky guy!

By the way, that first photo is of me and "Martha" parked for a VWAG photo session in front of the 1938 VW main factory building at Wolfsburg, Germany in 1999 while driving "Martha" on the DKF "Return To The Fatherland" Tour (touring in nine American-owned pre-1957 VWs from Los Angeles all the way to Germany and then back). What an incredible adventure it was! The second shot is with "Martha" and my wife Kathryn just a few months ago along the Missouri River near St. Louis, MO.

Happy to add to the answers about this particular era of transition Oval... ask away!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

I have the same exact U.S. spec '55 bug as BulliBill, only without the sweet ragtop Sad

Being that these are 8 month only cars (Jan-Aug), I was under the assumption that ALL U.S. spec '55's had bullets and snowflakes and that none of the U.S. spec 55's had semaphores.

This is the first in all of the discussions I have read about '55's that I have heard of "early and late" U.S. spec cars. I thought the only change for the semaphore '55's was going from hearts to eggs.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
My question is is there such a thing as a ribbed door/ non-semaphore car?

Too clearly answer the original question, yes they did make ribbed door cars with non-semaphore.

These late 55 model year cars have bullet front turn signals and snowflake rear indicators. This combo was commonly available in North American in May,June, and July of 55 (maybe late April 55 also,not sure). I believe this combo is actually more common than semaphores in North America as 55 model year only lasted 7 months and 1955 was the year that American distribution really ramped up. By the end of 1955 Americans were buying a lot more VWs than the beginning of the year, that's why these changes were introduced
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

All great information, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

March of '55 remained old school... love early '55s the best with egg tail lights, ribbed doors and semaphores... sure was lucky to find it, earlier this year... zero rust, never hit.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
March of '55 remained old school... love early '55s the best with egg tail lights, ribbed doors and semaphores... sure was lucky to find it, earlier this year... zero rust, never hit.

I completely agree with you, I currently own 3 early cars (12/51 Standard, 10/52 Zwitter and a '54 ragtop) all unique in their own way and I think a US Spec eggshell taillights '55 would be a great addition.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:
joel55bug wrote:
My question is is there such a thing as a ribbed door/ non-semaphore car?

Too clearly answer the original question, yes they did make ribbed door cars with non-semaphore.

These late 55 model year cars have bullet front turn signals and snowflake rear indicators. This combo was commonly available in North American in May,June, and July of 55 (maybe late April 55 also,not sure). I believe this combo is actually more common than semaphores in North America as 55 model year only lasted 7 months and 1955 was the year that American distribution really ramped up. By the end of 1955 Americans were buying a lot more VWs than the beginning of the year, that's why these changes were introduced

Bullets were available as an option in april 55 for US, Canada and Guam.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:

So does anybody a have documented U.S. bound post 4-1-55 bug with semaphores? I'm curious whether this option was really an option. oh let's go even further anybody have a known European bound car with bullets? Some strange &^#! Often went on.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Yes. I had an April 14 built car delievered to Philadelphia that had semaphores and also has US overriders which was also an option.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

*Darren wrote:
Wiggy wrote:

So does anybody a have documented U.S. bound post 4-1-55 bug with semaphores? I'm curious whether this option was really an option. oh let's go even further anybody have a known European bound car with bullets? Some strange &^#! Often went on.

European cars never had bullets as far as I know.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Right from VW

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
h~moto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Quote:
Right from VW

What is PR saying for 3 May 55?
"without bulbs"?
"with bulbs"?
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Wiggy wrote:
Right from VW

What are the numbers to the right of the dates ? Vin #'s ?

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: '55 transition year debate? Reply with quote

Wiggy got that part as I had posted a link to pr. But I'm just curious IF the U.S. option really was an option (or really all U.S. bound got them) and if it was a U.S. option could a customer in Europe have requested. I recognize would have been obscure, but you know how VW was at the time. Kind of like standards not coming to the US. I recognize the likelihood of an answer is about 0.

Last edited by *Darren on Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: