Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Failed smog today
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Well, it does close, got it hooked up. But it didn't take anywhere near 5 minutes. It was completely closed in less than 2- 3 minutes. Maybe it needs to stay open a little longer until the engine is fully warm? Does the adjustment do that?
Thanks
Kevin

Click to view image
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645985&highlight=aar

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

I clean mine now with Gibbs Lubricant.

Your freezer and a hair dryer are tools to be used here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Ok gentlemen, I have verified the AAR is functioning correctly and we are back running. Cold start is fine. Once it is running for about 2 minutes, it still drops the idle. It will come back once it is warm.
Bill, I tried your suggestion tonight and unhooked the fuel pressure vacuum line tonight when it wouldn't idle and it idled perfectly. And the miss I was feeling went away. So making it richer is the goal.
What direction should I be looking at now?
Thanks
Kevin

Click to view image
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Have you tried the resistors yet?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Haven't tried the resistors yet. I think it's a great idea. One thing bad about Radio Shack not being around, lol. I don't have anyplace close to go purchase some. Fry's is about 15 miles away up the 405, which is not fun...
I will buy a variety, just want some idea of which ones so I can do it in one trip.

Click to view image
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Like posted earlier, start with 100 ohms and add one or two to that if needed.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Thanks ps2375, I will give that a try and pick up a variety pack. Understanding this system better, it makes perfect sense.

Click to view image
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Does this sound like an oxygen sensor?
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

No oxygen sensor on a '78, they were only on '79 CA versions

Click to view image
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Ah, ok.

I wrestled with smog on a '79 f250 for a year, so I am rootin for you.
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

For what it's worth....the state of Ca. makes it almost impossible to pass smog with pre '95 cars. I have a '79 bug that runs perfect and can't pass the current smog test unless I take it to my mechanic and let him dial it in with his old smog machine. Then he runs it down to the test station, it passes and then he has to dial it in to run right. Been doing this for 20 years!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Well, it passes on the high speed with room to spare, just failed on the idle HC's. It does have a low idle tremble, that went away when when I unhooked the fuel pressure regulator, so I think the resistor will add fuel where it needs it to pass. Just a micro adjustment will do wonders I think.

Click to view image
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

if the lean condition is just an idle problem you can keep closing the air bypass screw on the air flow meter. It changes the running mix very little, but has a pronounced effect on the idle richness. Adding some resistance to the temp sensor is another fine idea, but that should richen the mix at any rpm by making the "computer" think the engine has not fully warmed up.

You can make adjustments to the air flow meter too, there are 2 adjustments for the variable resistor, one changed the return spring tension while the other shifts the base point for the variable resistor. This is much more of a PITA though, best done only if you can tune the engine with a exhaust analyzer checking the mix prior to the catalytic converter.
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Is your bung plugged?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Hi. That's good news Kevin. This is progression. As far as resistors go, in my general area there is an electronics store call All Electronics Corp, www.allelectronics.com, and you could shop their site at home and order. These resistors seem to be dirt cheap and looks like a minimum order is 10 pieces, at about .60 each. They are in Van Nuys, Ca.
I have a Frye's about a mile from me if you want I can go over there for you.

It would be nice to know if the removal of this vac line richened up enough to bring the HC down into compliance. Also the ability to sniff the exhaust prior to the cat and after would tell you how effective the cat is working.

Does the shop that did the initial smog offer free retest? Wonder if they would do a pre-test to see if the improvement brought the HC down, but, as important, did not raise the CO. If it did a minor adjustment to the AFM screw might bring the CO down.
Hope this helps, Bill.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
For what it's worth....the state of Ca. makes it almost impossible to pass smog with pre '95 cars. I have a '79 bug that runs perfect and can't pass the current smog test unless I take it to my mechanic and let him dial it in with his old smog machine. Then he runs it down to the test station, it passes and then he has to dial it in to run right. Been doing this for 20 years!

Hi. You're so right on this Al. There are groups of people here in Calif, as well as other states to include Washington DC, who wish all the old cars to go away probably by regulation like tighter emissions standards. Most good people don't have the drive to keep up with this but ever tightening gov't control.
The SAMBA is different. People here will do whatever it takes to maintain their precious rides. I know a very respectful shop owner who has told me he has had owners of '76 and later bus' who give up on Calif's emissions program and there are people from different countries lined up waiting to buy up their cars and remove them from Calif.
Bill
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
No oxygen sensor on a '78, they were only on '79 CA versions

Uh, no, Cal Bus had it in 79, but Bugs never did. That's all VW needed to do to certify the Beetle with the Feds for the 1980 model year, and they didn't do it, instead they extended the 1979 O2-less model year as far as they could (into January 1980), and then shut it down.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Fed emissions and Cal emissions are totally different though, even to this day. I am not debating you, just saying. I didnt know that you could have a cat without having an O2 sensor.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed smog today Reply with quote

Put it this way, if VW was already making a O2 sensor California Beetle in 1979, they could have just made that as the 49 state model for model year 1980. They didn't.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: