Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI 12-inch insert upholstery
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

JBugs offers TMI's 12-inch insert seat covers, which I am considering to buy. Part of their description says:

"The 12 Inch Insert is a 12 inch wide vertical stripe on the seat and backrest surfaces."

Can someone that ordered these covers can post a picture of seat's back? I really like to see how does that 12 inch stripe looks on the backrest before ordering...

I might be interpreting this wrong. I do like the vintage look of the insert on the front, but not that excited of having a stripe on the backrest of the front seats.

Mike

Last edited by LCDR O on Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

I know this is not what you're asking for, but I have ordered the seat covers from TMI but haven't installed them as of yet. Here is the only picture I have of the two tone seats that I purchased from them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

Perhaps that's an error on the description or I am interpreting it wrongly....

But I was under the impression the backs are plain and the same color as sides.
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
I know this is not what you're asking for, but I have ordered the seat covers from TMI but haven't installed them as of yet. Here is the only picture I have of the two tone seats that I purchased from them.

BTW, that's a nice color combination! What's the car's body color?
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

Thanks. The body color has yet to be determined. I have a few colors in mind, but she says I'm color blind and we just found out she's right ! As suggestions ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
cmdrfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

LCDR O wrote:
JBugs offers TMI's 12-inch insert seat covers, which I am considering to buy. Part of their description says:

"The 12 Inch Insert is a 12 inch wide vertical stripe on the seat and backrest surfaces."

Can someone that ordered these covers can post a picture of seat's back? I really like to see how does that 12 inch stripe looks on the backrest before ordering...

Mike

I just recieved mine (about a month ago) for my Ghia as well. I'll take some pictures and upload them, maybe this afternoon... This is a subject that's been playing on my mind as well.

The fronts look as per CiderGuy's post. There are no backs included, just some excess vinyl in the colour of the sides/skirts. The seat covers themselves cover the front of the seats and the sides of the seat and wrap over a little bit to the back of the frames to permit attachment via the spikes or hog rings I guess. But then it's open at the back and I guess you have to make your own rear panel from the excess material they supply.
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
Thanks. The body color has yet to be determined. I have a few colors in mind, but she says I'm color blind and we just found out she's right ! As suggestions ?

With that color combination, the obvious answer is ... black!

But also, I like the ivory white with red interior combination. If you are not sticking to factory stock colors, I also like the silver metallic (like current Audi TT's silver) with red interior combination.
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

cmdrfire wrote:

The fronts look as per CiderGuy's post. There are no backs included, just some excess vinyl in the colour of the sides/skirts. The seat covers themselves cover the front of the seats and the sides of the seat and wrap over a little bit to the back of the frames to permit attachment via the spikes or hog rings I guess. But then it's open at the back and I guess you have to make your own rear panel from the excess material they supply.

Are you referring to the front seats or the back seat? I was under the impression that the front seats upper covers are slip-on and covers the backrest. What you describe seems to apply to the backseat only...
cmdrfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

LCDR O wrote:
cmdrfire wrote:

Are you referring to the front seats or the back seat? I was under the impression that the front seats upper covers are slip-on and covers the backrest. What you describe seems to apply to the backseat only...

No, referring to the front seats. I too was under the impression that the front seat upper covers were slip on and surrounding the entire thing but from the ones I recieved they are not and some excess material is provided to make back panels (I assume that's why it is there). There are frustratingly few pictures of the backs of TMI seats!

I may be wrong but I checked already for my own sanity but I will check again now... I will head over to my workshop in about half an hour and will post some pictures later tonight.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

cmdrfire wrote:
LCDR O wrote:
cmdrfire wrote:

No, referring to the front seats. I too was under the impression that the front seat upper covers were slip on and surrounding the entire thing but from the ones I recieved they are not and some excess material is provided to make back panels (I assume that's why it is there). There are frustratingly few pictures of the backs of TMI seats!

I may be wrong but I checked already for my own sanity but I will check again now... I will head over to my workshop in about half an hour and will post some pictures later tonight.

The top portion of the front seat are a slip cover. There is no extra fabric and it is not open in the back. The bottom of the front seats are open in the back and will need hog rings and the like to close when installing.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

LCDR O wrote:

Can someone that ordered these covers can post a picture of seat's back? I really like to see how does that 12 inch stripe looks on the backrest before ordering...I might be interpreting this wrong. I do like the vintage look of the insert on the front, but not that excited of having a stripe on the backrest of the front seats...Mike

The 12 inch striped pattern is not continued on the back of the backrest. And as others may have commented, the extra material is for you to make your own back cover to the backrest.

Like this:

I used the same material for my trunk liner to stiffen the back of the seat.

How you fasten the cover to the backrest frame is up to you. There are special clips that "hang" over the rails on the frame. I used screws.
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
LCDR O wrote:

Can someone that ordered these covers can post a picture of seat's back? I really like to see how does that 12 inch stripe looks on the backrest before ordering...I might be interpreting this wrong. I do like the vintage look of the insert on the front, but not that excited of having a stripe on the backrest of the front seats...Mike

The 12 inch striped pattern is not continued on the back of the backrest. And as others may have commented, the extra material is for you to make your own back cover to the backrest.

I used the same material for my trunk liner to stiffen the back of the seat.

How you fasten the cover to the backrest frame is up to you. There are special clips that "hang" over the rails on the frame. I used screws.

There is no extra material with my 1970 TMI seat covers. Maybe for the 68 seats with a built in headrest there is ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

My seat had screws and I wanted to use the clips when I reupholster them but they are $5 each from kGPR and you need 12 to do two seats so I will probably use screws again.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

My seat had screws and I wanted to use the clips when I reupholster them but they are $5 each from kGPR and you need 12 to do two seats so I will probably use screws again.

I have a set of those clips for you. Pay it forward. PM your address and you can have them.
cmdrfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
cmdrfire wrote:
LCDR O wrote:
cmdrfire wrote:

The top portion of the front seat are a slip cover. There is no extra fabric and it is not open in the back. The bottom of the front seats are open in the back and will need hog rings and the like to close when installing.

Well, I wish my covers were like yours. Mine are open and don't have a back to them. Additional material is provided for the back.

Bare covers:

With the upper foam piece:

The additional material provided:

I doublechecked all the boxes I recieved from TMI and there are no back substrates provided. I guess it maybe varies from model year to model year? The order with TMI is listed as a "Seat cover set 6 pc KG Coupe 66-67 12" Insert Combo".
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

The seat back board is not for all years as some years had sewn backs. The 1961-68 had a open back seat and we supply extra yardage of vinyl to recover the original back boards. As far as I know nobody is making the back boards and we do not have a original to die cut one from.
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

TMI Products wrote:
The seat back board is not for all years as some years had sewn backs. The 1961-68 had a open back seat and we supply extra yardage of vinyl to recover the original back boards. As far as I know nobody is making the back boards and we do not have a original to die cut one from.

This starts to make sense! Are the 1970 kits slip-ons?
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

LCDR O wrote:
TMI Products wrote:

This starts to make sense! Are the 1970 kits slip-ons?

Come on dude, you started this thread have you read it ?

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe

Timing is everything
LCDR O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

Yes I have...and still have not the answer to my original question.

Does the JBugs description is accurate on having the 12 inch insert at the back?
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: TMI 12-inch insert upholstery Reply with quote

LCDR O wrote:
Yes I have...and still have not the answer to my original question.

Does the JBugs description is accurate on having the 12 inch insert at the back?

kiwighia68 wrote:
The 12 inch striped pattern is not continued on the back of the backrest.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: