Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

January 1963 squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Sweet stamped mounts Cool

Jacks house has always been the Type 3 Factory.

Funny you say that because in the past 10 years I have had an amazing amount of really special cars reside in my yard. Only a couple were mine but I guess that's what happens when you get to rub elbows with the 1500club elite😎
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

We need to steak a sign in the corner of your yard with the list of whats come through there, start signing that thing too Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pedro sainz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Sweet stamped mounts Cool

Jacks house has always been the Type 3 Factory.

Funny you say that because in the past 10 years I have had an amazing amount of really special cars reside in my yard. Only a couple were mine but I guess that's what happens when you get to rub elbows with the 1500club elite😎

One Out of Jacks Yard and reside for many months
Is on the cover on Hot VWS Mag Cool

Great things Happends here
Jacks Type 3 - Type 34 Factory Cool
N.O.N.A member #3
The Truth is Out There
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Received the kits needed to finish refreshing the front brake cylinders. All ready to go.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gas tank had 8 gallons of vintage 1976 leaded gasoline in it. It's been drained and the desludging has begun. Not a lot of fun
the1500club.com
Shop Lacky at the T3/34 Factory, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100094313902074
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks to Per, Christmas came a few days early.

the1500club.com
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Somebody must have been very good Shocked

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Wow, that's super cool.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

i needed to replace a headlight so I thought it would be a good idea to take pictures of an early original set up. I'm sure that I'm the first person to open the headlight up since it left the factory almost 53 years ago.

Details of the SB12 outer ring

Part #

This one has two drain holes, which must be early since the ones off my 65 notch had no holes

One neat feature is the writing on the rear hatch. I think I was an indication of what script was to be installed

the1500club.com
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

ibjack wrote:
One neat feature is the writing on the rear hatch. I think I was an indication of what script was to be installed

That's awesome. Are you going to try to preserve it?
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

t3kg wrote:
ibjack wrote:

That's awesome. Are you going to try to preserve it?

That's my plan.
the1500club.com
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Nice! Vut I thought Sb12 rings were a 1967 item.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

As far as I know all inner retaining rings were S12's.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

Bug and Type 3 outers - Yes.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

The original gas tank had 8 gallons of early 70's leaded gasoline in that turned into varnish sludge so I opted to use one of my spares. I sent it out to be cleaned and lined, even though many don't think it's necessary or good to do but I've had good luck with it. I also got lucky to find a fuel sender from 2.63 since the wire on the original broke when trying to clean it. Before I installed the tank I decided to give the spare tire area and the trunk/front end a good clean up. Since this is a preservation and not a restoration I'm trying to clean up what I can and leave it alone. I'm inspired by Lee Hedges documentation on his super early T34 (vin 0001200) so I'd like to do the same with this car since there are very few early original squarebacks.

Here's a shot of the cleaned up spare tire well. Original seal was in good condition but I noticed that the used a liberal amount of glue and didn't seem to worried about getting it on perfect.

It really is an advantage to remove the gas tank to replace or service the top part of the front end. I installed the master cylinder and cleaned and refreshed brake lines coming from the reservoir. Also topped off the steering box with fresh oil.

All put back together

Looks more work going on and updates will be happening. Any other early Squateback owners feel free to post pictures of what you have.
the1500club.com
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Please tell me you kept the original fuel sender...Jim Adney can repair them and he does excellent work!

If you need the steering box rebuilt, Tim's rebuilds are to factory spec and they turn out really nice. He can rebuild the one from that car and return it to you unless it's out of spec for wear. I can help you out if that happens.
ibjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:
Please tell me you kept the original fuel sender...Jim Adney can repair them and he does excellent work!

If you need the steering box rebuilt, Tim's rebuilds are to factory spec and they turn out really nice. He can rebuild the one from that car and return it to you unless it's out of spec for wear. I can help you out if that happens.

I checked with Jim first and was going to have it rebuilt but the other one was real nice and just a month off.
the1500club.com
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Looking good Jack keep it up...this one will be back on the road in time

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
Stevo Wide 5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: January 1963 squareback Reply with quote

Very nice car bud! Love early type 3's!

here are some pics of my may 63 Square!!

Check out my Aircooled blog @ http://stevo.skyblogs.be
Wide 5 Vintage Volkswagen Club
http://www.wide5.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: