Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

I bought a '74 Super back in September and have slowly been fixing all of the items neglected by the PO-ners. One item I was going to leave as-is is the push button starter that was installed. It requires the key in the ignition and turned to the running position, then the button is pushed. You can see the button in this picture, to the left of the dash fan button:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A black and yellow wire pair that look to be about 12-14 gauge run from the starter button down under the rug along the tunnel and back to the battery area. You can see them here:

I think I may have messed up the wiring on the battery side and could use some help figuring this out.

Here's what it looked like at the battery terminal - the fat yellow wire at the positive terminal and the black one come from the push button in the dash.
The black wire was bound together w/the thin green one.

The thin green one splits 3-ways: one leg runs to the pearl-colored button you can see near the bottom of the above picture; the 2nd leg runs from the other end of the button to the positive terminal on the battery; and the 3rd length went to the same connector on the starter solenoid as the positive cable of the battery. Here's a pre-disassembly picture.

My problem is that when I disconnected everything I lost track of the green/black connection and I removed the thin green wire and button and threw it and the 3 segments away!! Brick wall Now I don't know what to do and am not about to connect the black wire to the positive terminal w/out knowing what the green pieces and button were for.

Any electrical assistance would be really appreciated...! Ashman..?

Thanks!

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Hi. folks have done similar mods like this for decades, especially kit cars/buggies/etc.
The big issue at hand for you is this starter circuit is probably not fused and if wired stupid with no care to protect the circuit, the chance for a problem is elevated. Folks also did this when the oem electrical section of the ignition switch was suspect.
At a minimum, I would keep the batt ground cable loose in the event a short occurs. And at a minimum I would install a 30-40 amp relay under the rear seat, left side for this starter circuit. This way, I would have my heavier 10-12ga wires in the back there and have that push-button switch ground the starter relay. It's a very simple mod.
That positive batt cable with the temp clamp is a common issue on many cars and it results in a voltage drop/loss there. Are your other negative cables is good condition.
You're going to hear a few ways to remedy this. Hear it all out and decide on a resolution.
Hope this helps, Bill.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

I can't see it but was that ivory/pearl colored thing near the battery a switch? If so, the PO installed TWO starter switches. One in the dash and a second at the battery. Pushing EITHER switch would send 12v from the battery (+) to the starter solenoid #50 terminal to crank the engine.

Here is my suggestion:
Test that the black and yellow wires are specifically for the starter.
With the yellow wire connected to the battery (+) terminal, place a voltmeter on the end of the black wire and check that there is 12v+ on the black wire when you press the dash button and no voltage when you let go. This confirms you are working with the correct wires.

Run a new heavier gauge wire from the end of the black wire near the battery to the #50 terminal of the starter solenoid.
I notice there is already a thick black wire at the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid. Where does this black wire come from. It is a MUCH better wire to use for #50 (The green wire is much too small for my tastes.) If the black wire is not being used for something else, re-purpose it. You can also look to see if the original red wire in a grey sleeve is still in place. It was a good thick gauge as well.
You should now have a heavy gauge wire running from the battery; to the switch in the dash; back to the starter #50 terminal. Add a 15A fuse at the battery end and you are done.

HSR Option- Add a Hard Start Relay (HSR) there near the battery. These are cheap and will reduce the current passing thru the yellow wire and the black wire. This should prolong the life of your starter switch. It will also benefit your starter too as the solenoid will get max current from the battery to the #50 terminal. Wire the HSR as follows:
    Yellow wire connected to the battery (+) terminal (add a 1A fuse for protection).
    #30 = battery (+) terminal (add a 15A fuse here to be safe)
    #85 = black wire from the push button
    #86 = ground
    #87 = starter solenoid #50 terminal

Another way to wire the HSR and only use ONE of the wires:
    #30 & #85 = battery (+) terminal
    #86 = yellow wire from the push button
    #87 = starter solenoid #50 terminal
    Additionally, use a short length of wire at the dash to ground the unused wire (eg. black) at the push button end.

Using this method your are grounding the HSR when you push the starter button. This will trigger the HSR which will connect the battery terminal directly to the #50 terminal to energize the starter.
    You can use the remaining black wire running under the carpet for something else. Wink

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Rocker, Ashman - thanks for the suggestions.

ashman40 wrote:
I can't see it but was that ivory/pearl colored thing near the battery a switch? If so, the PO installed TWO starter switches. One in the dash and a second at the battery. Pushing EITHER switch would send 12v from the battery (+) to the starter solenoid #50 terminal to crank the engine.

Ashman - great catch. The pearl thing was indeed a push button. Why would he have wired 2 push buttons??

ashman40 wrote:
Here is my suggestion:
Test that the black and yellow wires are specifically for the starter.
With the yellow wire connected to the battery (+) terminal, place a voltmeter on the end of the black wire and check that there is 12v+ on the black wire when you press the dash button and no voltage when you let go. This confirms you are working with the correct wires.

I want to go test this now, but to confirm the procedure: Connect both battery cables - positive & negative? And the voltmeter to the black wire -one voltmeter connection on the black wire and the other...where? Ground? I'd like to put the battery in the car now to test this if you can get back to me quickly.

ashman40 wrote:
Run a new heavier gauge wire from the end of the black wire near the battery to the #50 terminal of the starter solenoid.
I notice there is already a thick black wire at the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid. Where does this black wire come from.

I just realized I have no idea where that comes from. I'll check these two things and report back.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Get yourself a new battery positive cable. Wolfsburg West makes ones just like the factory. You want a battery cable that battery acid can not get between the cable end and the battery clamp, like you have now. OG battery cables are soldered to the clamp making a gas tight connection acid can not get into, and the clamp from the factory was made of brass which will long outlast a FLAPS clamp made of lead.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Get yourself a new battery positive cable. Wolfsburg West makes ones just like the factory. You want a battery cable that battery acid can not get between the cable end and the battery clamp, like you have now. OG battery cables are soldered to the clamp making a gas tight connection acid can not get into, and the clamp from the factory was made of brass which will long outlast a FLAPS clamp made of lead.

I'll look for that tonight. I've replaced the complete battery tray since that picture was taken.

Ashman - the black wire connected to the #50 terminal is coming from the driver side. It's connected to the red/black wire in this picture coming from the harness.

I think I found it in the Bently color wiring supplement "J." It's #50 and runs to the starter, but I'm not good at reading these later diagrams and have no idea where it originates. So it doesn't look like a wire I'm going to be scavanging.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Interesting development.

I connected the battery w/the yellow wire attached to the positive terminal. Left the black wire loose. Turned the ignition and boom - the key actually turns the starter w/the black wire disconnected!! But the car won't start. It may be out of gas. I was really low, almost on fumes when I parked it at the end of September, and I couldn't smell any gas in the engine compartment just now to suggest flooding w/out a spark.

The black wire has 12.3v when I have the key in the On position and press the button, so it's still pulling juice. It must have been some sort of short circuit for part of the ignition switch's functions..? Insight...?

I think the battery's on the way out, though. After charging it since last night, it read 12.99-13.0v off the charger, and was down to 12.39 on the car after turning the car over about 1/2 dozen tries.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
...the key actually turns the starter w/the black wire disconnected!! But the car won't start. It may be out of gas...

Ok, I don't usually quote myself, but could this wiring rig have been part of the seatbelt interlock bypass...?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Ashman - the black wire connected to the #50 terminal is coming from the driver side. It's connected to the red/black wire in this picture coming from the harness.

That is the original red/black starter solenoid wire that comes from the ignition switch (#50).
If you are considering a HSR, I'd install it here at the end of the red/black wire coming from the ignition switch. Run the red/black wire to the #85 terminal of the HSR so it triggers the relay. For the same reasons the HSR was good for the push button, it is also good at the end of the red/black wire here under the seat. It will prolong the life of the ignition switch. The #87 output from the HSR can use the existing wire that exits the pan and runs to the #50 terminal on the starter solenoid as the output (#87).
If you want to keep the push button, wire the black wire from the starter push button to the HSR #85 so BOTH the button and the ignition switch can trigger the HSR.

Sorry, I didn't realize you had removed the battery. For future reference, you could have just set your multimeter to read resistance and tested the resistance between the end of the yellow wire and the end of the black. When you press the starter button the resistance should drop to zero. When not pressed the resistance should be "inifinite" (represented by different symbols on different meters).

vamram wrote:
I connected the battery w/the yellow wire attached to the positive terminal. Left the black wire loose. Turned the ignition and boom - the key actually turns the starter w/the black wire disconnected!

It looks like your PO didn't replace the starter circuit, they just added two more starter switches in addition to the stock one! Shocked

vamram wrote:
But the car won't start. It may be out of gas. I was really low, almost on fumes when I parked it at the end of September, and I couldn't smell any gas in the engine compartment just now to suggest flooding w/out a spark.

Test the voltage at the ignition coil WHILE you are cranking the engine. If the wiring is too old the voltage at the coil could drop below 10v while cranking. This would mean the engine is turning over, but there is no longer enough voltage at the ignition coil to fire the spark plugs. This is especially true if your battery is weak and putting out less than the normal 12.6v. BTW, 12.3v is about 50% state of charge for the battery. Put it on the charger overnight. It will have a high reading immediately after charging. Use the battery to crank the engine and the voltage should drop to reflect its current state. It should show 12.6v. If one crank of the engine drops the voltage below this after a full charge, your battery is on its last legs.

vamram wrote:
The black wire has 12.3v when I have the key in the On position and press the button, so it's still pulling juice. It must have been some sort of short circuit for part of the ignition switch's functions..? Insight...?

With the ignition OFF and the car in neutral, will pressing the starter button in the dash crank the engine? If NOT, your starter button is being powered from somewhere OTHER than the yellow wire at the battery. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you had traced the yellow wire from the switch and confirmed it was the one running to the battery post?
What are your plans now that you confirmed the starter can be activated with the ignition key. Do you want to retain the push button?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

That is the original red/black starter solenoid wire that comes from the ignition switch (#50).
If you are considering a HSR......to keep the push button, wire the black wire from the starter push button to the HSR #85 so BOTH the button and the ignition switch can trigger the HSR.

I'm definitely going to keep both. What the heck, he already put a hole in the dash, might as well have it do something.
ashman40 wrote:

It looks like your PO didn't replace the starter circuit, they just added two more starter switches in addition to the stock one! Shocked

Except that in the "original" PO setup, turning the key didn't crank the engine. Whatever he had wired up short-circuited that cranking part of the ignition switch, only the push button cranked the engine.

ashman40 wrote:
BTW, 12.3v is about 50% state of charge for the battery. Put it on the charger overnight. It will have a high reading immediately after charging.

I did that yesterday, slow charged it overnight. It was at 13v after 24 hours.
ashman40 wrote:
Use the battery to crank the engine and the voltage should drop to reflect its current state. It should show 12.6v. If one crank of the engine drops the voltage below this after a full charge, your battery is on its last legs.

I think that the battery is on its last legs since it dropped to 12.3v after 1/2 dozen cranks.

ashman40 wrote:
With the ignition OFF and the car in neutral, will pressing the starter button in the dash crank the engine?

Nope, nothing.

ashman40 wrote:
...I thought you had traced the yellow wire from the switch and confirmed it was the one running to the battery post?

I did and it is running to the battery post, no fuse in the path either. So the original ignition switch is what's cranking the engine via the red/black wire to #50 on the starter solenoid, and the yellow wire w/out the black and green wires is doing...nothing.

ashman40 wrote:
...Do you want to retain the push button?
I would like to keep both, but maybe it's best to clean out the hack wiring and stick w/an HSR hooked up to the ignition. Either that or connect the black wire as you said, maybe that's all that's needed to re-enable to push button.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
ashman40 wrote:

Except that in the "original" PO setup, turning the key didn't crank the engine. Whatever he had wired up short-circuited that cranking part of the ignition switch, only the push button cranked the engine.

Now I'm confused.... I thought you said....
vamram wrote:
I connected the battery w/the yellow wire attached to the positive terminal. Left the black wire loose. Turned the ignition and boom - the key actually turns the starter w/the black wire disconnected!!

I'm guessing this means the ignition key only intermittently works to crank the engine??? If so, I can see why the PO added the push button switch.

Well, it seems you have everything you need. Add the HSR under the left rear seat. Reuse the red/black wire that runs from the rear seat to the starter solenoid. Connect it to the #87 terminal of the HSR. I would clean up the terminal connections with a wire brush or sandpaper just for max performance.
The #30 wire from the battery terminal to the HSR should be a good heavy gauge wire. #30 wire from the battery and the #87 wire to the starter #50 terminal are the only high current paths which need thick wires. The other wires can all be smaller gauge or use existing wires.
#85 should have BOTH the black/red ignition switch wire and the black push button wire connected to it.
#86 should run to ground.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Now I'm confused.... I thought you said....
vamram wrote:
I connected the battery w/the yellow wire attached to the positive terminal. Left the black wire loose. Turned the ignition and boom - the key actually turns the starter w/the black wire disconnected!!

I'm guessing this means the ignition key only intermittently works to crank the engine??? If so, I can see why the PO added the push button switch.

I don't think so. Remember this picture?

There's a fat black wire that runs from the positive terminal to one of the big screw-on terminals on the starter. So I think the yellow wire doesn't do anything now - it just runs from the push-button to the battery. I don't know that it had any role at all because it looks like the black wire connected w/the green are the ones that did the work.

ashman40 wrote:
Well, it seems you have everything you need. Add the HSR under the left rear seat...

Yep, looks that way. I will definitely do this, w/a fuse closer to the battery side. Can I buy a relay for this at a FLAPS?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

Well, it seems you have everything you need. Add the HSR under the left rear seat. Reuse the red/black wire that runs from the rear seat to the starter solenoid. Connect it to the #87 terminal of the HSR. I would clean up the terminal connections with a wire brush or sandpaper just for max performance.
The #30 wire from the battery terminal to the HSR should be a good heavy gauge wire. #30 wire from the battery and the #87 wire to the starter #50 terminal are the only high current paths which need thick wires. The other wires can all be smaller gauge or use existing wires.
#85 should have BOTH the black/red ignition switch wire and the black push button wire connected to it.
#86 should run to ground.

Ok, I've got the relay hooked up like this. I bought the wrong combo of inline fuse holder and fuses, so I decided not to hook up the battery to test. I'll pickup the correct fuse holder tomorrow, hook up the battery and report back.

Btw - I'm going to continue this in my thread about the '74 Super, link in my signature.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Hi. Good job. I also have a HSR under the rear seat, left side. A totally doable upgrade on any "not so perfect" car. To vamran, follow what ashman40 writes about, as he has shared his experience with some wiring projects. A look at his gallery pics will support this.
Regarding fuses for this new circuit, don't rely on the basic "take apart" fuse commonly used for radios, back-up lights, rear window defogger, as they are all low current circuits. Look for a fuse, or even a circuit breaker that is in the 30-40 amp range.
Hope this helps, Bill.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. Good job. I also have a HSR under the rear seat, left side. A totally doable upgrade on any "not so perfect" car. To vamran, follow what ashman40 writes about, as he has shared his experience with some wiring projects. A look at his gallery pics will support this.
Regarding fuses for this new circuit, don't rely on the basic "take apart" fuse commonly used for radios, back-up lights, rear window defogger, as they are all low current circuits. Look for a fuse, or even a circuit breaker that is in the 30-40 amp range.
Hope this helps, Bill.

Thanks, Bill. I have a 30-40amp breaker fuse in my stash. Are you saying that I should use this between #30 and the +battery terminal rather than an inline 15 amp bussman blade fuse? Isn't 30 amps too high a rating for a 12 gauge wire?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Hi. Two things here and I hope ashman40 will concur with this.

1- Install your circuit protector (fuse or circuit breaker) as close to the voltage source (battery) as physically possible. For example, if your fuse is 2 feet away from the battery then that 2 feet of 10 or 12ga wire is not protected. I would guess 3 to 4 inches would be ok for the position of the battery's positive cable.

2- An electrical component, such as a fan motor, will run on a set level of amps. But, the initial start-up of that fan motor will be more than the running amps. Make sense? Look at this pdf that I saw when I googled "amps required to engage a starter solenoid".
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/strtctr.pdf
He states about 8-10 amps to hold solenoid engaged but up to 35 amps for its initial surge.

Hope this helps, Bill.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. Two things here and I hope ashman40 will concur with this.

1- Install your circuit protector (fuse or circuit breaker) as close to the voltage source (battery) as physically possible. For example, if your fuse is 2 feet away from the battery then that 2 feet of 10 or 12ga wire is not protected. I would guess 3 to 4 inches would be ok for the position of the battery's positive cable.

2- An electrical component, such as a fan motor, will run on a set level of amps. But, the initial start-up of that fan motor will be more than the running amps. Make sense? Look at this pdf that I saw when I googled "amps required to engage a starter solenoid".
He states about 8-10 amps to hold solenoid engaged but up to 35 amps for its initial surge.

Hope this helps, Bill.

Bill, thanks for that info. Hopefully Ashman will pipe in as well.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:

Yup! Good basic rule to follow.
In addition to the length between the source and the fuse not being protected, another reason you place the fuse as close to the (positive) power source is because it is normal for one source to break off to feed multiple devices (think parking lights). It is not usually practical to use multiple smaller fuses at the ground end of each circuits. Better to add one fuse at the top/source of the circuit.
VW does break this rule in a few areas, but they did it to save $$. That doesn't make it right, just understandable.

rockerarm wrote:

I agree with the point made about the initial surge. It is higher than the current needed to maintain the solenoid. This may have been another reason why VW did not fuse this circuit. In the PDF the "Starter Contactor" is the HSR and you can see it does NOT have a fuse in the primary circuit that feeds the starter solenoid.

There are two sides to this point, both were touched on in the PDF file.
    1) You want to size the fuse so it doesn't blow when you crank the starter. The momentary (50ms) high amp load when the solenoid is initially energize is probably too brief to heat the fuse enough to blow. So a 15A or 20A fuse for a 10A constant load is more than enough. Be sure NOT to use "fast blow" fuses that are sometimes used in electronics.

2) You want this fuse to blow if the load is too high. One scenario not mentioned in the PDF but which the diagrams support... if the battery-to-starter cable (the one that actually powers the starter motor) comes loose at the starter solenoid end, the current flowing thru the #50 circuit (which is meant to only energize the starter solenoid) will also be used to drive the starter motor to crank the engine (follow the red wire thru the solenoid). This becomes a sustained 35A load thru the solenoid windings (FYI, I read somewhere that some starters will pull 100A+ while cranking). I've seen this before and quickly saw the #50 wire start to melt. You want the fuse to blow in such cases to protect the wiring.

Select your fuse to protect the wiring and the current it was meant to carry.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

Great info, thanks to both of you. Sounds like the bigger breaker would be good for the initial start but the key is to fuse it for what it needs on a constant basis rather than the surge so 15 amps should do.

What about the brand of fuses? Are the blade ones sold at say Advanced Auto good enough quality so that I'm not constantly having to pop up the back seat to replace fuses?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter Button Wiring Problem...Help!! Reply with quote

When I installed my HSR, I used a 20 amp fuse--the kind with a u-shaped metal filament that you can see inside the plastic. I got my relay from Wolfsburg West. It works well. No issues.

I didn't really need a Hard start relay. I just put it in to prolong the electrical part of my ignition.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: