Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Timing with stroboscope
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

I have my 2.0 FI engine timed to 7.5 BTDC using a test light. It runs good, however I think it would be a good idea to properly time it with a stroboscope. Should I time it at idle RPM to 7.5? Or like I was told once at 3000 RPM to 30 degrees?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

You need a timing light not a stroboscope.
https://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP7527-Inductive-Tim...1248861011

There are cheaper timing lights, but his is a tool you will use repeatedly and the money is well spent. You will also need a dwell meter if you have points.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331963334829?vectorid...rmvSB=true

The engine will run well by setting the points at .016 with a feeler gauge or matchbook cover, but why not start by setting at .016 and then do it right?

Dwell affects timing. Timing does not affect dwell. It's easier to R&R points and condenser and set the gap while the distributor is on the bench, rather than bending over with half your body in the engine compartment.

Check your Bentley and TheSamba for correct timing for your engine.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

The reason for setting your timing to 28° @ 3500+ rpms with the hoses off and plugged, is that this is the condition your engine see when pulling a hill at full throttle.

The idle timing spec was a best guess at what the timing might be at idle when every part was factory new, it hardly applies when the dizzy may be a hodge podge of parts from different units and even if the parts are original they are old, sticky, and worn.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
I have my 2.0 FI engine timed to 7.5 BTDC using a test light. It runs good, however I think it would be a good idea to properly time it with a stroboscope. Should I time it at idle RPM to 7.5? Or like I was told once at 3000 RPM to 30 degrees?

You should time it at idle to 7.5 BTDC using the timing light (and after disconnecting and plugging the vacuum hose to the distributor).

Then, since you have a type 4 engine with a handy timing scale, you can check the timing at max advance and make sure it's not advancing too far beyond 28-30 degrees.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input. I gapped the points to spec when the dizzy was out. I forgot to mention that my dizzy is centrifugal advance only, no vacuum canister.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

mike's post to time it to 28 is what I would do.

Quote:
The reason for setting your timing to 28° @ 3500+ rpms with the hoses off and plugged, is that this is the condition your engine see when pulling a hill at full throttle.

The idle timing spec was a best guess at what the timing might be at idle when every part was factory new, it hardly applies when the dizzy may be a hodge podge of parts from different units and even if the parts are original they are old, sticky, and worn.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

You should be looking for a more appropriate distributor for this application.

Put a "Want to Buy" in the classifieds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

And be very careful of used distributors....could be complete junk!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:

So are many of the new ones out there Crying or Very sad
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
curtp07 wrote:

So are many of the new ones out there Crying or Very sad

Damn straight..
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

Glenn can tell you the distributor you need and will sell you a rebuilt. Possibly take yours as a core.

http://www.glenn-ring.com/bosch/

Aloha
tp
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

Try here...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tasb
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:

From Wikipedia:
"A stroboscope used to set the ignition timing of internal combustion engines is called a timing light."

Well as I stated the bus is running like a Swiss watch, which is why I'm reluctant to even touch it, let alone replace the distributor. The only thing I'm concerned about are high head temps due to wrong timing. I have a head temp instrument installed but I don't really trust it. It shows around 200F when the engine reaches working temp.

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

From Wikipedia:
"A stroboscope used to set the ignition timing of internal combustion engines is called a timing light." ...

Amazon sells a stroboscope for $157.33 + $10.04 shipping
https://www.amazon.com/Sper-Scientific-840009-Digital-Stroboscope/dp/B00V65N8X4

They sell a timing light for $16.99 and free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-20724L-Automotive-F...ming+light

How do you get a stroboscope to flash when the ignition fires? They're usually used to determine rotational speed. Both can use a strobe light, but they have different purposes and use.

Perhaps Wikipedia should say, "A strobe used to set the ignition timing of internal combustion engines is called a timing light." They do say, "A stroboscope also known as a strobe, is an instrument used to make a cyclically moving object appear to be slow-moving, or stationary."

Aloha
tp
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:

From Wikipedia:
"A stroboscope used to set the ignition timing of internal combustion engines is called a timing light."

Well as I stated the bus is running like a Swiss watch, which is why I'm reluctant to even touch it, let alone replace the distributor. The only thing I'm concerned about are high head temps due to wrong timing. I have a head temp instrument installed but I don't really trust it. It shows around 200F when the engine reaches working temp.

What CHT gauge do you have and where did you install the sender? A 009 distributor is a poor choice for a FI Type 4 engine in a bus.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

The CHT that I have is the VDO 600F, with the 323 701 temperature sender. The sensor is screwed to the sensor port on the head. The reason I don't trust it is because I have 2 wires running the length of the bus connecting the sensor to the gauge, and I read somewhere that the length must be specific in order to get true readings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the reading I got today after a half an hour drive. For a minute let's assume the reading is correct. What is the normal working head temp range of a Type 4 FI engine?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

If it works anything like an exhaust pyrometer like I have, then I don't think it is so much the distance of the wires, but the types of wire used and how it is connected.

So if you need to lengthen the wire, if you extended it with the correct wire it isn't really a big deal. But if you used any ole wire from the FLAPS then yes it is suspect.

You could get an idea, perhaps, of if and how far it is off with an infrared thermometer. Drive the bus to operating temps for a bit, then pull over quick and run back and take a reading. Won't be perfect probably, but it'll give you an idea if and how close your gauge is.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

Somewhere a thermocouple system must have a cold junction. If you use thermocouple wire all the way to the gauge the cold junction will be in the gauge and may or may not be temperature compensated depending on the design of the guage, while if you use a non thermocouple wire for an extension the cold junction will be where the thermocouple wire hooks to the non thermocouple wire.

Not sure what you mean when you say the sensor is screwed into the sensor port??? Are you talking the location of the TSII sensor? The early TSII sensor location will give a good indication of the actual temperature of the head, whereas the later TSII sensor location will read somewhat lower.

When you put the sensor under the spark plug, what you are really doing is sticking the hot junction down into the spark plug well between the metal of the head and the metal of the spark plug and your reading will be something close to the average temperature of the two pieces of metal. "Note, the ring itself is not the hot junction, only the crimp is. If you install the hot junction somewhere else, then it will not be affected by the heat of the spark plug and thus will read very different from a setup with the hot junction next to the plug.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

Quote, "What is the normal working head temp range of a Type 4 FI engine?"

Buuuuwaaaaahahahah....Buwaaahahahaa!
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Timing with stroboscope Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
The CHT that I have is the VDO 600F, with the 323 701 temperature sender. The sensor is screwed to the sensor port on the head. The reason I don't trust it is because I have 2 wires running the length of the bus connecting the sensor to the gauge, and I read somewhere that the length must be specific in order to get true readings.

This is the reading I got today after a half an hour drive. For a minute let's assume the reading is correct. What is the normal working head temp range of a Type 4 FI engine?

If you are going to use a CHT gauge (even a VDO), you have to at least install the sender correctly withthe sender around the #3 spark plug.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?gspage=customer/main/tech/cht/cht_install.tpl
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: