Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Carb question Reply with quote

I'm looking at replacing my Weber Progressive with a Empi 34 dual kit from CIP1 anybody on here using this kit and if they are how do you like it? Tech specs on my bus: 2 liter solid lifter engine with automatic transmission.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-47-7412

"Growing older, but not up!"
a-marshal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

I too am thinking about new carbs, I've got no comment on these carbs but I do wonder why the website is so vehement about them being sold for off road use only ...
<Quote>
NOTE: ALL EMPI CARBURETOR KITS ARE SOLD FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY. Special note about carburetors: ( they are non returnable! )
<end quote>

reading that would sure make me think twice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

to stay "Legal" in California

borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

if you're going to all the trouble of installing dual carbs, 40HPMXs would be a better choice, IMO.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

they would be except the price point. Sad Also with my transmission being an automatic i'm not entirely sure that the extra power given by 40's would really be worth the extra $

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

Before I start hammering you on EMPI quality I want to make a point about installing aftermarket dual carbs. I've done it several times now in VW buses. New dual carb kits from CIP1 or "almost" any other vendor won't run right out of the box unless you get real lucky. Carbs have changeable jets of various types for different displacement engines. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to get the jetting right. In addition to jetting, new carbs right out of the box need to be torn down and cleaned and then the float heights correctly set. So you can see that all this can take hours of your time plus the trouble of removing and installing the carbs numerous times.

What's works better is to buy your carb kit from a vendor that can do this for you. They typically charge an extra $80 or so and you tell them what engine you have and they install the correct jets for your application as well as doing the cleaning and float adjustment. Money well spent.

Try Blackline Racing, Aircooled.net, DRD Racing Heads, or maybe even Kaddie Shack. Best to have this done by a professional who works on dozens of carburetors every week.

Next, don't forget the linkage. Crappy linkage will make owning dual carbs a nightmare. Getting the carbs synched is one thing but having them stay in synch means having good quality linkage.

Lastly, EMPI sucks. I suggest you wait a bit longer and buy better carbs when you can afford it. You'll thank me later.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and yes I do understand about straight out of the box not running right and possibly needing to be rejetted. As far as EMPI sucks yes they do but do they suck worse than a progressive carb?

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

do they suck worse than a progressive carb?

Probably not but I see CIP1 sells the EMPI carbs for just $120 less than genuine Spanish Webers that come with CB linkage from Aircooled.net
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

I had forgotten aircooled sold carbs. looking at them now.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Probably not but I see CIP1 sells the EMPI carbs for just $120 less than genuine Spanish Webers that come with CB linkage from Aircooled.net

I don't mean to sidetrack this, but is the CB linkage one of the better ones? someone is asking me and I don' t know.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I don't mean to sidetrack this, but is the CB linkage one of the better ones? someone is asking me and I don' t know.

I've used "Redline" linkage and "CB" linkage. I would never use RL again. That said, I'm sure there are much better ones available. The cable system is great I think but costs something like $300 alone from what I remember but I don't have any personal experience with it myself.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

I have the 34's from CIP1, the carbs were good quality, didn't have any flash or dirt in them. I did need to rejet them for my 1700. The manifolds on the other hand are crap, I reused a stock set I had on hand.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

what did you use for your jets?

Steve22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
what did you use for your jets?

I'll have to look at my notes when I get home.
'73 Sunroof Transporter
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

The latest version HPMX's are actually very good. They however need to be cleaned and float height/drop checked before installing.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

kerian159 wrote:
Thanks for the tips and yes I do understand about straight out of the box not running right and possibly needing to be rejetted. As far as EMPI sucks yes they do but do they suck worse than a progressive carb?

Please make sure whatever option you exercise knows how to flow air with enough velocity at idle.

Big honking four-throats on a little VW engine spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e with an automatic transmission. That factory fuel injection with the automatic transmission idle stablizer valve, now yer talking.
Colin
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
kerian159 wrote:

Please make sure whatever option you exercise knows how to flow air with enough velocity at idle.

Big honking four-throats on a little VW engine spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e with an automatic transmission. That factory fuel injection with the automatic transmission idle stablizer valve, now yer talking.
Colin

I wouldn't worry about it. Just crank the idle up to 1500 - 1700 RPM to keep those carbs and cam happy, two feet on the brakes at the stop light and you don't even need to give it gas to go - just lift your feet off the brakes. You'll keep your trans rebuilder happy too seeing him so often to replace the bands.
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

I've shifted my focus a bit on set my sights on a set of Baby Del's jetted correctly (hopefully) and tuned, so nothing too big is going on it. I already know that my bus doesn't like to go above 65 mph unless it absolutely needs to Very Happy .

Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb question Reply with quote

I too have considered running the old FRD carbs but there must me something better. Surely the HPMX would be better. But I would be interested to know how those little 34's worked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: