Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Breaking inner tie rod ends loose
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pgbarrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a couple stuck inner tie rod ends. Is this a job for a pickle fork? (Just returned my rental yesterday) Do you guys have any other suggestions? I've hammered on it (as I can) and tried to use a press, but did not have enough space to line it up.

Thanks,

Paul
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

BFH (I use a 48 oz) & strike the pitman arm. You may want to thread a nut on the threads to keep from damaging them in case you miss. Pickle forks destroy the boot & sometimes damages the tie rod end.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Pgbarrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Hum, not following you on that one. How does hitting the pitman arm drive out my tie rod ends? Also, is there another ball joint in the steering clam/box thing? I'm getting tires of ordering parts piecemeal.

Thanks,

Paul
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Just had a tie rod that was stuck. Took a day and a half to break free. Keep soaking it with PBlaster
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Kroil works even better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Penetrating oils aren't going to do much for loosening the wedge mated connection that the tapered ends of the tierods have. 2-3 strikes of a heavy hammer will jar it loose.

In your picture, you can see that shiny glare on the pitman arm just above the threads of the tierod, that's pretty much where you want to knock the living sh*+ out of it with the BFH. It's counterintuitive but it does the least amount of damage to the components. Again, loosely thread a nut back onto the tierod end to keep from damaging the threads just in case you hit them.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

EverTough 67008
I rented it from Oreilleys for $35, you can access all of them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by JKLNHYD on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

just whack it with a BFH, you are not going to hurt it. Loosely put on the nuts first.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Don't whack it with a BFH. That's a good way of putting undue stress on the steering box. Got get the right tool at whatever tool place you have near you.

Look at this page and the tool you want is in the lower left. You can get a full front end kit like this, or just the individual tool. If you are replacing the tie rods, then you can use a pickle fork as well (which is how I did it).
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Chochobeef wrote:
Don't whack it with a BFH. That's a good way of putting undue stress on the steering box. Got get the right tool at whatever tool place you have near you.

Look at this page and the tool you want is in the lower left. You can get a full front end kit like this, or just the individual tool. If you are replacing the tie rods, then you can use a pickle fork as well (which is how I did it).

A large pothole exerts more stress on the steering components than you will be able to with a hammer, if something happens to the steering box when you hit the pitman arm with a hammer, you have just saved your own ass.

beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

I used a small two arm puller to pop all my old tie rods off. As suggested, thread the castellated nut on to protect the threads. The trick is heat! I tightened the puller down, and then used a propane torch to heat the end of the rod until it just popped off. You need heat to expand the metal of the wedge mated connection of the tapered ends of the tie rod.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

heat near the gas tank Shocked I don't think so.
My tool box is full of specialty tools for working on bugs and the best one for this job is a well placed whack with a BFH.
you can take off the kids gloves when working on these inanimate objects Wink
This is why most shops don't let the customer in the work area, they would be offended that you are ruining their precious vehicle Laughing

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:

Last edited by 60ragtop on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

I beat on a lot of things with a hammer, but not a steering box. Use the pickle fork or other removal tool.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

if you aim it just right you don't have to worry about hitting the steering box.

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
if you aim it just right you don't have to worry about hitting the steering box.

True, but you and I and several others here kinda know what sort of force is appropriate and where to apply it. If the OP knew those things he wouldn't be asking us what to do.

Always try the least destructive thing first. In this case I think the BFH on the steering box would be a last resort sort of thing.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
heat near the gas tank Shocked I don't think so.
My tool box is full of specialty tools for working on bugs and the best one for this job is a well placed whack with a BFH.
you can take off the kids gloves when working on these inanimate objects Wink
This is why most shops don't let the customer in the work area, they would be offended that you are ruining their precious vehicle Laughing

That's what pullers were made for, so you don't damage something else while trying to do a job! Any competent mechanic uses heat to loosen stuck bolts and tie rods. As with any tool though, it has to be used judicially. A BFH isn't always the right answer, especially when working on steering components!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I beat on a lot of things with a hammer, but not a steering box. Use the pickle fork or other removal tool.

& what do you do with the pickle fork? You hit it with a BFH.
The problem with the pickle fork is that it pinches the boot against tierod & destroys the boot. Add to that it also damages the tierod end, which is fine if you plan on replacing it anyway.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

I use this
http://www.harborfreight.com/tie-rod-and-pitman-arm-puller-62708.html

or Autozone free loaner tool
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

I'm glad I learned how to work on cars before Al invented the internet.
really

tasb wrote:

sb001 wrote:
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Breaking inner tie rod ends loose Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

& what do you do with the pickle fork? You hit it with a BFH.
The problem with the pickle fork is that it pinches the boot against tierod & destroys the boot. Add to that it also damages the tierod end, which is fine if you plan on replacing it anyway.

Well, I start with a LFH, and I don't use the pickle fork unless I won't be reusing the parts. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: