Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What car a bug or fastback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:56 am    Post subject: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Hi all I have a decision to make and need some help.
At the moment I have a 1972 Vw beetle with a 2276cc engine witch is running great but unfortunately it dose need two new heater channels, two new A pillars, rear left floor all replacing costing I'm guessing around £4500. But I could do a swap for a 1971 Vw fastback with a stock 1600 engine that need no work on it at all. What would you lot do?
Here's some photos of my bug and the fatback.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

I think you will be disappointed every time you drive the fastback by the lack of engine. You will now be the slowest thing out there, quite the quantum letdown after driving the go-cart on steroids.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Yes that's what I'm have issues with. I love the look of the fastback I always have but I also love the power the beetle has. A 0-60 time of only 4.6 seconds and clocked at 120 mph all though driving it this you don't get many miles to the gallon Smile
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

It will depend on what case you have for your 2276, if it's a universal case it will change over to the t3 tinwork quite easily. Carbs or intake would be the biggest problem but usually a manifold change will fix that... just depends on what you got. And a hotrod t3 fasty would be cool, the one I had got t-boned in a snow storm and while it drove home it never made it back on to the road again.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

If I do the swap I will lose the 2276 engine but to tell you the true I never really get to drive the bug fast any more Sad
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Type 3's are way more comfortable to drive than any bug. Trade up!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

I'm guessing you may have a type 3 Then. If so what size engine do you have in yours and what's it like to drive?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Handling and braking alone in the type 3...even stock...is far better than what was in a stock beetle.

The type 3's with EFI...us spec....had better HP and much better throttle response than a stock bug.

I would take a nice type 3 over a rolling rust bag of a beetle whose only saving grace is a larger engine..any day.

You can always build a bigger engine for the type 3 as your next project. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

I am guessing the fastback has dual carbs, not FI. FI was almost exclusively a US-market feature.

It's not hard to make the stock 1600 larger if you want more power.

The better handling make it more fun to drive, and easier to drive fast without the extra power. A whole lot safer, too.

Looks to be lowered. You can probably bring it back up if you want; the front is adjustable from the factory, as well as the rears of course.

If it's a daily driver, you'll probably be happier in the fastback. If it's a weekend screamer, the Bug's for you.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

It will only be used in the summer months to drive to shows. I only seem on average to do around 700 miles a year in the bug.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Go get the Type 3 Fastback and don't look back.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

I'd roll in the Type III. I'd do whatever it took to get the 2276 in it.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

In the perfect world I would go for the type 3 and keep my 2276 engine but unfortunately that's what the other person is really after my engine but as said earlier I could all ways build a new one Smile
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Is the 1600 E fuel injection?
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Go get the Type 3 Fastback and don't look back.

I personally agree, but I'm an old dude. Crying or Very sad

Your Bug, sounds to me like a fast toy.
The Fastback is the sporty version of an adult vehicle.
You can always make it fast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Yes the bug is a bloody fast toy but im now getting on a bit I'm 35 years old now Smile with two kids and a wife and it's a squzze to get us all in when we go to a show for the weekend so a bigger VW is definitely needed. Plus I see at least one bug a day on the way to and from work but the only time I ever see type 3's is at shows. Anyway can you lot how own a fastback give me some tips on what to look out for when I go and view this car.
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

How do I post videos on here?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

advinnie wrote:
How do I post videos on here?

Post on YouTube

Post link to youtube video
or
Use "YouTube" buttons when posting with your youtube link to show the video inside your post.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advinnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

Does this engine sound ok?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z8qO0BPEtBA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3t57Noj0H3g
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What car a bug or fastback Reply with quote

if the fastback is structurally sound then go for the better car and nicer ride.
while driving fast is fun, it does get old or expensive.. how much can/will you be going faster than the fastback can drive anyways.. and you CAN always upgrade the fastback to a faster engine if you must embrace a need for speed. heck a WRX swap would make it way scary.

me sure fast is fun but, I enjoy the cruising.. and my insurance is more reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: