Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hitch receiver on bumper?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
prolewicz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

Is a super beetle bumper strong enough to carry a tongue load of about 100lbs? Looking to attach a bike rack only, no towing. Aluminum rack (1up USA) and two road bikes would weigh in about 80lbs. It seems like the bumper carries the tongue load on the Curt hitch that is available. Trying to eliminate welding a receiver to the Curt and keep the hitch tucked out of the way. Found this on the interwebs (Oldbug.com). Thanks - Pete

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

All of the hitches I have seen for late model Beetles use a reinforcement that bolts inside the bumper. The bumper itself is not strong enough.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

Let me just detail my experience with a bicycle rack that goes into a bolt-on receiver hitch.

Years ago, I bought one, looked something like this

I bolted this onto the rear bumper of my 1988 Mazda truck, have used this several times, with up to 4 bicycles (not light-weight bikes either), worked great.

Then a few years ago I thought I'd bolt this up to my 1998 Frontier and 2004 Frontier. This did not do too well. The torque on the bumper from the bike rack and bicycles was too much, and the bumper distorted/bent, and the bicycles kept getting lower and lower, was not usable. It turns out that the Frontier bumper center was not firmly part of the edges where the bumper mounts were.

So I suspect that the weight/torque from the bike rack and the bicycles - remember the weight would be back from the actual mount, so more torque (force times distance). So I think that the VW bumper would bend as well. I think if you were going to tow a little garden cart that way, it would be fine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

I wouldn't feel secure about it and if you're talking a 74-79 Super I would worry about the bumper shocks not holding up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prolewicz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

Thanks everyone - kind of what I expected.
prolewicz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
All of the hitches I have seen for late model Beetles use a reinforcement that bolts inside the bumper. The bumper itself is not strong enough.

"All"? I have only turned up the hitch made by Curt in my searches. Any other new manufacturers or are you also referring to older productions?
Thanks
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

Some of the older bug hitches came with bumper reinforcement (the pre-'68 had to, not much bumper bottom to bolt to).
I don't believe the Curt model does, but for the light use it's designed for it's probably alright.

Attaching to the frame horns does help stabilize the hitch more than relying solely on the bumper itself.

Welding a receiver to a bug hitch works fine.
I recessed mine so the Yakima rack doesn't stick out quite so far, and it's still a ways from the car.
Wouldn't want it much higher either.

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

prolewicz wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:

"All"? I have only turned up the hitch made by Curt in my searches. Any other new manufacturers or are you also referring to older productions?
Thanks

I haven't looked at a new hitch for these antique cars in many years ... and surprised anyone still makes them. I first started messing with Beetles when they were still being sold new here in the US. Wink

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

You can order the Curt hitch trough Home Depot.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hitch receiver on bumper? Reply with quote

My bumper is as solid as a rock. I can stand and bounce up and down on it. Did the US get lightweight bumpers or something?

I can't see any problem with a sensibly positioned bike rack, but I wouldn't introduce rust to my bumper to have one. Why not fab something between the bumper mounts and hang your bikes that way. It should be easy enough.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: