Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Now down to only 3 Type 4s for sale here?!?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Now down to only 3 Type 4s for sale here?!? Reply with quote

Just wondering what kind of sign this is...when there are usually at least a dozen for sale. Are our favorite cars simply disappearing? People holding onto them? As for me, I sold my 411 this past summer and am now down to two 412s, both mint and daily drivers ( taking turns, obviously! ). I still get loads of compliments out there, such a strange, rare and weirdly beautiful car...
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Now down to only 3 Type 4s for sale here?!? Reply with quote

Say it ain't so.... I'm hoping to find a nice daily driver for the Mrs......

Suck it up, Buttercup!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Now down to only 3 Type 4s for sale here?!? Reply with quote

Hard to say.
I try not to pay attention to what is for sale...because with a full-on 14 year restoration of my two door sedan...I simply do not have the room or money for any more. Laughing

One of the issues I see...is that only a few of what are generally for sale....are viable for buyers that are "new" to 411/412...meaning...no experience, no buckets and boxes of parts laying around to help out...and fewer places junkyard wise to get major parts for cheap.

I think...from what I am seeing the parts for sale listings that about half of what is up for sale at one time or another...gets parted out. Most of those parts will not sell....simply because most sellers want too much for the parts.

They are not 411/412 people or they would know...that even a decent example will need hundreds of parts easily to get it stable.....small...large...hard and soft parts. Thats just used parts that you can use. It says nothing of the fabrication required and new precision parts you cannot skimp on like bearings, transmission parts and engine parts

If the average Samba part price is $30-50 or more before shipping.....the cost can be far more than it is for most any of the other aircooled's.

As for the three for sale....

1. the blue one....after eons sitting in Georgia (used to live there so I know the score)...is a rust bucket and EVERY single panel is beat to crap...the front end and bumper pushed in and it looks like a tree fell on the right front fender. It needs every single body panel, does not run. Other than a good small parts selection, some suspension spares andan engine and transmission core...$750 is a bit high $500 tops...$300 average

2. The yellow one in Florida. It also WILL have far more rust than you see and thats a lot. Look very carefully at all fender gaps. Rust is just blooming out...and if you look closely at teh footwell carpets in teh interior shots you can see that the water leaking from glass seals or holes has been staining thecarpet. Bet money its a rust rocket under the carpet.

Its straight enough...complete enough...but not in running condition (shipping or trailoring will cost at least $300-700, been repainted at least once....means that it will need EVERYTHING. If you have the money...$1495 ...ok...but its actually a bit high. $950 to $1,100 max

3. Oddly the green 411 seems to actually be the straightest and have the most going for it resto wise and body wise....but he is parting it out and so much is already gone.

Its sad but the few viable ones...those with no real issues...running or not....about half the time end up in the hands of "new" owners who want something quirky. Not knowing what they are getting into...and not asking...they do not last long before they are selling or parting out. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Now down to only 3 Type 4s for sale here?!? Reply with quote

I keep picking them up.

Currently I have one good 1974 412 Variant. I also have 1 1974 Variant parts car and 3 411 Variant parts cars. Whenever there is a 411 or 412 near me that is available for a sane price, I grab it.

I could have a 411 4 door sedan, the yellow one that sat on here for years, but the guy who bought it doubled the price and it still isnt inspected.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Now down to only 3 Type 4s for sale here?!? Reply with quote

19super73 wrote:
I keep picking them up.

Currently I have one good 1974 412 Variant. I also have 1 1974 Variant parts car and 3 411 Variant parts cars. Whenever there is a 411 or 412 near me that is available for a sane price, I grab it.

I could have a 411 4 door sedan, the yellow one that sat on here for years, but the guy who bought it doubled the price and it still isnt inspected.

If I had the spare cash and a place fo put them....I would do the same thing Very Happy
In the late 90s.....I was buying about one unrestorable wreck...just to strip for parts....about every 8 months. I did about 4 of those. Hae lots of parta, sold quite a few and used quite a few. At one time I had two wagons and a four door. Got run into and wrecked one....started driving another.....and sold one.

I also learned that when I have too many....the effort and time gets diluted. Once I found the one I was looking for.....two door factory four speed 412.....I cut it down to one to do it right.

I did my part as type 4 chassis savior long ago. Just no resources and room to do it again. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: