Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How much would my beetle be worth?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxnewton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

1968 VW Black Beetle.

Original parts, Original paint, with mild rust on the front quarter panel (about the size of a phone), Exhaust is rusted and so is some of the front and back fender.

Is 6k asking to much?
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

A "phone"? What phone, my slider cell or a phone booth?
And your pictures are not much help.
Mudpump
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

Based on the info provided, it's worth $X,XXX.10

You need to post pics and give more details to even get a bad guess.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it once they see it in person.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

So never set a price when selling a car?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

You need to post some pics, and especially photograph the rust. From my understanding later beetles in black are rarer, but they don't increase the price that much.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

He asked what it's "worth". It's only "worth" what someone is willing to pay. He can set whatever price he wants. However it may be worth more or less than that.

To me my '66 was worth the $6k I paid for it because it has zero rust and needed nothing. Will it be worth $6k to the next guy? Who knows. Next guy may feel it's only worth $4k. So then what? Have it take up space forever with a $6k for sale sign on it? See what I'm saying. You can only sell something for what someone else is willing to pay.
JKLNHYD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

Yes, $6k is too much for a 1968.

If the muffler is rusted, I would guess that the whole underside has similar rust.

Original parts and original paint with rust doesnt sound like it was stored or kept inside.

Since there are no pictures, I am going to play around with a guess at $2500.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

Quote-How much would my beetle be worth?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

He asked what it's "worth". It's only "worth" what someone is willing to pay. He can set whatever price he wants. However it may be worth more or less than that.

To me my '66 was worth the $6k I paid for it because it has zero rust and needed nothing. Will it be worth $6k to the next guy? Who knows. Next guy may feel it's only worth $4k. So then what? Have it take up space forever with a $6k for sale sign on it? See what I'm saying. You can only sell something for what someone else is willing to pay.

This answer should be a sticky
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:

OK agreed-- he should not have titled this thread "What is my 68 beetle worth?" He should have titled it "What should my asking price be for this car?" I suppose those two things may be mutually exclusive.

But, if you tried to sell your 66 for 6k and you only ever got a 4k offer, yes you should keep it forever.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

JKLNHYD wrote:

If the muffler is rusted, I would guess that the whole underside has similar rust.

Original parts and original paint with rust doesnt sound like it was stored or kept inside.

The muffler on my '70 is covered with rust. That's what they do- they rust. One of the results of combustion is water vapor, so exhausts and exhaust components will rust. Doesn't mean the rest of the car is a rust pile.

Here's my muffler:

Here's the car attached to said muffler:

You're just gonna have to take my word for it that this car has a rust free pan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
JKLNHYD wrote:

The muffler on my '70 is covered with rust. That's what they do- they rust. One of the results of combustion is water vapor, so exhausts and exhaust components will rust. Doesn't mean the rest of the car is a rust pile.

Here's my muffler:

Here's the car attached to said muffler:

You're just gonna have to take my word for it that this car has a rust free pan.
WHAT A RUST PILE! Laughing

Actually that's a very nice car and I would be embarrassed to park my car next to it. Embarassed

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

waxnewton wrote:
1968 VW Black Beetle.

Original parts, Original paint, with mild rust on the front quarter panel (about the size of a phone), Exhaust is rusted and so is some of the front and back fender.

Is 6k asking to much?

Original doesn't make it worth 6k if the engine is shot or not the matching numbers engine (THE one that shipped w/the car from the factory) and the transmission pops out of gear, interior is shot, window rubbers are dried and cracked, etc etc.

People here love to help you out, but ya gotta give us more to work with, otherwise this becomes a feeding frenzy of speculation and unsolicited advice and before you know it the dogs are turning on each other.... Very Happy

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AngelDeVille
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

I have walked away shaking my head from many "rust free" "all original" cars....

48 year old rubber seals

48 year old upholstery and carpet

48 year old cv boots

48 year old engine oil

And my favorite

48 year old brake fluid

Suck it up, Buttercup!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

AngelDeVille wrote:
I have walked away shaking my head from many "rust free" "all original" cars....

48 year old rubber seals

48 year old cv boots

48 year old engine oil

And my favorite

48 year old brake fluid

The '74 I picked up in September resembles that statement more and more each day.... Sad d'oh!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

AngelDeVille wrote:

48 year old rubber seals

48 year old cv boots

48 year old engine oil

And my favorite

48 year old brake fluid

The black car with the white fender welts has none of those issues. Looks like a very nice car. Did you say that it has original paint? If there are rust issues, are you talking about surface rust or has the panel rusted through?

The exhaust is supposed to rust out, the heat and water condensation does that in only a few years. A new muffler is $100 for a decent one.

If I should take a guess, I would say $2500-3000 if the mechanicals are OK. Like it has been said, you are angling for an asking price. What it is worth is something different. It could be a million to you if it had some special story. I do not think the custom bumper hikes the sales value.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

It constantly amazes me how cheap old good Beetles are in the US and the prices seem to have dropped significantly over the years.
The problem with cheap reselling prices is that it makes restorations not viable long term. We all know that the amount of money that you spend is significantly more than its value at the end of the restoration (unless its something really special). But it gets to the point where values are so low that no one restores (not just tart up) such cars anymore.

I recently saw an advert in the Pagoda SL forum for a fully restored 1970 280 SL for US$225,000. Looking at the photographs it was imaculate to the most rediculous level of detail (especially under the car). The amount of work must have been enormous and at US$225,000 it looked like a real bargain.

I spent over US$150,000 restoring my 1973 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super 1.3 and that was doing a huge amount of the work myself.

With my 1968 1500 Beetle I spent over US$20,000 just buying some essential parts so that when I begin the restoration I don't have to try and find all those hard to find parts when you need them. Im sure I will be spending a lot more on parts for that car.

US$6K looks like a good buy for that Black 1968 Sunroof Beetle if the picture reflect the overall condition of the car. If it was for sale in this part of the world, I would buy it myself and store it for future restoration.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

Pictures or it does not happen.
The OP = original poster needs to show us photos. I am originally from Missouri so show me!!

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: How much would my beetle be worth? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Pictures or it does not happen.
The OP = original poster needs to show us photos. I am originally from Missouri so show me!!

I think he's abandoned his thread...

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: