Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you leave your bug unattended?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

There are a lot of bug owners that drive their car as a daily driver. So this doesn't really apply to them.

As for the part time drivers....
Do you guys/gals drive your bug anywhere and everywhere, no matter where you are going, or what you are doing? Do you even leave it unattended in a store parking lot? Or has the fear of it getting stolen, taken over all comfort of leaving it anywhere, alone?

Curious to know how short of a leash their bug has, when taking it for a stroll
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I have no problem running errands and parking my bug for a length of time. I don't live in the hood, nor do I venture into rough parts of town very often. Things might be different if I did.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I do run errands from time to time in mine, but always try to park up front and within eye shot. Im not as worried about theft as I am in some dumb a$$ running into it and taking off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Heavens no when I'm not using it I store it under my bed
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Due to dumb a$$ people, I refuse to park near people. Due to dings, dents, and scratches. That is soooo annoying.

Like my normal every day driver is a Silverado. I have owned it for two years, and have yet to have a scratch/dent. But I also park at the back of the parking lot, no matter where I go. I'll be more than happy to extend my walk another 30 seconds, just to avoid coming out to a dent on my doors.

A bug would be no different. One ding has now knocked the hell out of your perfect paint job. To me, a bug is more valuable and I would want to keep it as pristine as possible, at all cost. How to avoid this? Leave it parked in the garage 24/7 and never take it out Laughing
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:

A bug would be no different. One ding has now knocked the hell out of your perfect paint job. To me, a bug is more valuable and I would want to keep it as pristine as possible, at all cost. How to avoid this? Leave it parked in the garage 24/7 and never take it out Laughing

While I would love a show worthy paint job I would actually be reluctant to invest in one for this reason. I enjoy driving my car not staring at it in the garage.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Funny. I was just reading this yesterday or so.

https://www.quora.com/What-should-I-do-if-I-catch-someone-hitting-my-car-with-their-door
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Good advice there. I am almost at the point of getting a cheap auto video camera because of all the idiots, who are likely to deny their offense unless you have proof. Unlike this guy, most seem to back down when they realize you have them cold. Good parking advice in that link.

Some a$$holes seek this problem. I parked my freshly repainted jewel at the far end of the parking lot. Some jerk in a big truck went to the trouble to park next to me, really close. Why? He's just an a$$hole.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:

Some a$$holes seek this problem. I parked my freshly repainted jewel at the far end of the parking lot. Some jerk in a big truck went to the trouble to park next to me, really close. Why? He's just an a$$hole.

Yep. I had a 328IS back in 2000 and used to park way the heck out in the parking lot. More than once, I came out to find some Jackhole parked right next to me with literally no other cars anywhere near us. Obviously done just to be a smart ass.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Guess I'm the odd man out. I daily my '66, but it's still a nice ass car. Do I worry about stuff happening to it? Sure, but at the same time I realize it's a car and things happen. It's also why I have insurance. I can't even count how many times I've gone out to eat or whatever and leave the windows open. During the summer I'd park it overnight in my apartment complex with both windows down. Haven't had a problem yet.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Yep. I had a 328IS back in 2000 and used to park way the heck out in the parking lot. More than once, I came out to find some Jackhole parked right next to me with literally no other cars anywhere near us. Obviously done just to be a smart ass.

I've done that to people. Laughing I've also squeezed my bug next to someone who has taken up two spots. When I came back their car was gone and I didn't have any damage to mine. It would have been impossible for them to get in their driver door so hopefully they got the hint.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

What's the hint? While I don't agree with taking up two spots; if the lot isn't very crowded who cares if someone takes up two spots if they are far enough out? In my case I wasn't even taking up two spots so what hints was i to be given? I know it's crazy talk to not want my brand new car dinged up by old ladies pushing the door open with their foot or a car full of ankle biters.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I can't even leave my car in front of my own house. On the third day I had the car, the front emblem was gone. It was there for 53 years. Three days in front of my house and pffft!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
I do run errands from time to time in mine, but always try to park up front and within eye shot. Im not as worried about theft as I am in some dumb a$$ running into it and taking off.

Yes, pretty much this. Or I just like to look at it though the window if I'm at a restaurant.

I'm becoming less and less concerned as time passes and possible thieves can't drive a stick. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
What's the hint? While I don't agree with taking up two spots; if the lot isn't very crowded who cares if someone takes up two spots if they are far enough out? In my case I wasn't even taking up two spots so what hints was i to be given? I know it's crazy talk to not want my brand new car dinged up by old ladies pushing the door open with their foot or a car full of ankle biters.

The hint for the two spot person was that they're not more important than everyone else. And it was in a full parking garage at a mall in Southern California.

As for parking next to people who park their non fancy boring 3 series cars in middle of nowhere, it's just funny. If you want to park your M5 or Porsche GT3RS away from everyone then I get it.

Brings me joy to see some pretentious cock get all huffy cause someone parked next to their precious bottom of the barrel BMW.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

I've done that to people. :lol: I've also squeezed my bug next to someone who has taken up two spots. When I came back their car was gone and I didn't have any damage to mine. It would have been impossible for them to get in their driver door so hopefully they got the hint.

There are a couple of local high school kids that tend to park their big buff pickups across 3 or 4 spots sideways to prevent anything from getting close. My son and his buddies park their POS rides on the spots on both sides as close as possible which prevents the sideways parker from leaving. Usually only takes being parked in once or twice. The far end of the lot has an area where everyone leaves a spot between cars, these tools don't get it.

As to the bug or the bus? Neither one is perfect, and I do not hesitate to walk away from them at a show.

Last edited by my59 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I won't own any vehicle that I'm scared to drive or park in a store parking lot. You can't go through life being scared your gonna be a victim or scared of life and it's uncertainties.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

The hint for the two spot person was that they're not more important than everyone else. And it was in a full parking garage at a mall in Southern California.

As for parking next to people who park their non fancy boring 3 series cars in middle of nowhere, it's just funny. If you want to park your M5 or Porsche GT3RS away from everyone then I get it.

Brings me joy to see some pretentious cock get all huffy cause someone parked next to their precious bottom of the barrel BMW.

Sorry it didn't meet your level of awesomeness, but it wasn't bottom of the barrel by any means.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I won't own any vehicle that I'm scared to drive or park in a store parking lot. You can't go through life being scared your gonna be a victim or scared of life and it's uncertainties.

This^^

I don't leave my VW's in parking lots for more than 30 minutes and certainly not in rough neighborhoods. My dubs are not daily drivers and are used to run errands or go to friends houses. As the other poster mentioned, I'm more concerned about folks stealing something off a VW than taking the whole car. People steal the original front VW emblem off buses all the time.

I dropped $800 bucks re chroming my original bumpers on my 67. I'd be pissed if I came out and they were gone. Most insurance policies these days have $1k deductibles so that wouldn't help ease the pain either.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Caveat: I live in Boise metro, where jerks are greatly outnumbered...

I, like others, just try to park close, but I also try to park where everyone sees it. Kind of like the public looks out for them that way. I seldom lock them because I strangely believe walking around your car checking all the locks and windows exudes a paranoia that entices the riff raff. I get out- swing the door closed and walk away (and silently pray).

My VWs are all pretty far out there appearance-wise so they tend to be noticed. Haven't had a problem in over thirty years, except when someone pulled on my light switch at a show and killed my Thing's battery.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5

Last edited by hitest on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: