Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Do you leave your bug unattended?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Right off the paint shop, I dinged my own door with the floor jack even BEFORE it was road ready! Sad
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I also use "The Club", don't want someone slicing through the convertible top, so any deterrent helps in my opinion. I've also been know to disable the engine if leaving it more than a few hours.

Cusser wrote:

I park farther away from the store if possible so there won't be other vehicles parking next to me.

vwracerdave wrote:
I WILL NOT part next to the shopping cart station. Most lazy dumbasss people will just give the empty shopping cart a shove right into your car.

One day I came out of grocery store with bag of groceries (duh !!!). The parking lot was somewhat angled, and it was windy, and about 75 yards away I saw a grocery cart headed straight for my VW !!! I set a new Olympic record sprinting over as fast as I could, and caught the runaway cart in the knick of time, no impact.

Amazing, exiting a second or two later would've had substantial damage.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
Maybe this should be on another or new thread..

But who here knows of someone that leaves the keys in their VW Exclamation

Was blown away every time Randy (RIP) would do this to any of his Vw's when we would go grab somethin to eat. Very Happy

I've done that in my driveway a few times by accident, keys right in the ignition. I've also left them in the door overnight.

All the time? No.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:

Was blown away every time Randy (RIP) would do this to any of his Vw's when we would go grab somethin to eat. Very Happy

Why? Most of the candy ass youngsters of today cannot drive anything with manual trans. It scares them.

Around here, if someone wants your car badly enough, they'll drag it away with a wrecker.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
CaLiBus wrote:

Why? Most of the candy ass youngsters of today cannot drive anything with manual trans. It scares them.

Around here, if someone wants your car badly enough, they'll drag it away with a wrecker.

This has happen at least once with a Bus.
If I remember right, it was blocked in with other cars behind it in the driveway so they dragged it out sideways and across the guy's front yard at night.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I tend to sleep in my bed with my wife.so....my bug is un a tended quite often....do I need to get it a stuffed animal or something?it hasent complained about it or put up a fuss.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I had driven my GF to the Hospital Emergency Room.
One I got here settled, I knew I needed more than the 2 hours of sleep that I had.
So I went back out to the car, and I was laying in the driver's seat fully reclined, sleeping under a blanket.
When a Little Old Lady got out of her Chevy Tahoe smacking my door in the process.
I woke up/jumped up with quite a startled expression of WTF!
This scared the crap out of the little old lady when I jumped up saying WTF!
I waved her off, and checked for a dent later. For such a loud thunk there was no dent that I could see.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Sure am so glad that we do not live in a metro large city with all of the people whom just do not give a crap, theifs, shooting, you all know all of the stuff that the large city metro areas have on the news daily. Like yesterday went into a store parked the VW out in front unlocked keys in the ignition no fear of robbery. It sure is nice having clean air and clean water.
Yes I do leave it unattended. Once and a while in the driveway over night!
Besides we all know that if someone wants something locks are not gonna stop them.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I rarely lock my bug, but it looks like a POS. It has a steering lock, FWIW.
I drove it to the airport a few months ago and left it at the parknjet for the weekend.
Oddly enough, the parking guy there *could not open the drivers door. * You just press the button and pull the handle. (generally they bring the cars up front when you fly back in) Seriously, I left them the key and they could not open the unlocked drivers door.
Laughing Rolling Eyes

But a nice shiny car... ya I worry. And anyway I do tend to park farther away in parking lots, at a protected on two sides end spot.

Last year my Dad came out from a store to find that someone had put a big dent in the nose of his 63 SC and drove off. Sad Sad
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Sure am so glad that we do not live in a metro large city with all of the people whom just do not give a crap, theifs, shooting, you all know all of the stuff that the large city metro areas have on the news daily. Like yesterday went into a store parked the VW out in front unlocked keys in the ignition no fear of robbery. It sure is nice having clean air and clean water.
Yes I do leave it unattended. Once and a while in the driveway over night!
Besides we all know that if someone wants something locks are not gonna stop them.

Gordon - I'd still lock it and never leave keys in it. I just believe in "not tempting" anyone. But I do understand even the cops say a manual transmission is a theft deterrent these days. Plus an old VW on the road, especially in a small town, makes a stolen one stand out like a sore thumb.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I don't worry too much about professional thieves because there are plenty of other cars that are easier/safer for them to flip/strip. For joyride thieves, a classic vw is a ballsy choice - they are slow, dangerous, hard to drive, unreliable, and highly noticeable. So that just leaves professional car thieves that are into classic cars. That is a pretty small niche of thieves to worry about.

I know thefts happen and I always try and secure my vehicles, but it's really a joke - any seventh grader could easily figure out how to get into an old VW, watch a quick youtube video on how to hotwire and your vw is gone.

'65 rear left beetle fender

15" Bus Wheels in fair condition

Mark Laken
Fort Collins, CO
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
I don't worry too much about professional thieves because there are plenty of other cars that are easier/safer for them to flip/strip. For joyride thieves, a classic vw is a ballsy choice - they are slow, dangerous, hard to drive, unreliable, and highly noticeable. So that just leaves professional car thieves that are into classic cars. That is a pretty small niche of thieves to worry about.

Exactly.
I can't imagine why anybody would want one.
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

It may be irrational but I worry more about souvenir hunters taking stuff off the car then stealing the whole thing outright.
Something new happened this past summer where I left my driver side window open when I ran into the drug store and came back out to find my interior light clicked on--grrrrrrr!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Patty B you are correct, like the center caps on Marathon wheels. Have you priced them lately.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I just watched on Investigative Discovery channel the case of Jamie Bowie, who was driving her 1978 VW Convertible home to Los Angeles from Phoenix in 1990. She had some kind of trouble near Indio (suspect broken fan belt), a couple in a red VW sedan stopped to help, got her going. She bought them dinner at Sizzler in Banning to thank them, then they killed her with a shotgun, sold her VW in Fresno the next day for $1100, had her keys and address and started burglarizing her apartment as well.

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-23/local/me-854_1_van-nuys

So her car and her possessions were why she was murdered, by couple posing as "good samaritans". What a tragedy.

It was the "novelty" of the VW convertible (and the gal was very attractive) that got so many observers and responses to police inqueries on billboards.
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
I drove it to the airport a few months ago and left it at the parknjet for the weekend.
Oddly enough, the parking guy there *could not open the drivers door. *

Are you sure he wasn't just making excuses?

All of our cars are manual shift. A place we stay in Savannah (a bit fancy for our usual taste, but it's downtown & allows both of our big dogs) has only-valet parking. On two stays, the morning parking attendant sheepishly returned the keys to one of our Subarus, explaining that he couldn't drive a manual... We had to drive it out ourselves.

That Subie is way-easier to start & drive than our Ghia... (Whose engine requires some mastery of pre-computer cars, just to understand how to start it - without taking a long while & making a lot of noise in the process...)
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:

I know thefts happen and I always try and secure my vehicles, but it's really a joke - any seventh grader could easily figure out how to get into an old VW, watch a quick youtube video on how to hotwire and your vw is gone.

My thoughts exactly. In fact my Notch is parked outside in the backyard with the doors unlocked. I rarely lock it, because they're so easy to "break into". It pisses off my wife that I leave open like that, but then I tell her there's nothing to steal, and I'd rather have them use the door than break the glass getting into it. In the summer months it's parked right out in front in the driveway, and I've had no issues with someone walking off with anything in the 17 years I've owned it. We've even gone out of town several times, and had nothing happen.

When at the local community college, I did have a girl in a 4x4 pickup hit my door with hers. I gave her 1 hell of a dirty look (was sitting in it studying for an up coming final exam), but she just blew it off and continued on her way. The car suffered a dent in the stainless side trim, but nothing else. I really don't worry about it as much as I should, as it's just an old car to me. Most of the time other people are watching it more than I am, as it's unusual to see in the wild. It also doesn't hurt that it looks good too. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
BeetleBrain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

I only leave it unattended when I'm sleeping, but then it's in the garage with motion sensor lights outside
cyclehobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

This is an interesting thread. I like the fact that many people do actually drive their VWs. Most of the enthusiasts I know drive theirs as much as they can, but here in northern NJ, the number of ACVWs driven year round now is very low.

That said, in all but the worst winter weather, I have no problem driving my Bug to run errands, visit friends and family or go to the store or a restaurant. I'll admit that I try to be able to see the car or get sight of it every now and the, but I don't go nuts. If the location is questionable at all, I simply won't leave the car. No sense losing the car to a jerk.

I do have a battery disconnect switch that I use and that I don't leave my Bug in a mall parking lot or anyplace where it will be unattended for hours.

Additionally, I do try to park in a safe area where potential damage from uncaring drivers is minimized. I don't do that with only my 67 Bug, but with every car I've ever owned including my current 2011 GTI or any POS I've had. My attitude is even if my car is a giant POS, it's still mine and I don't want others to damage it. Simple.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Do you leave your bug unattended? Reply with quote

Patty B. wrote:
It may be irrational but I worry more about souvenir hunters taking stuff off the car then stealing the whole thing outright.
Something new happened this past summer where I left my driver side window open when I ran into the drug store and came back out to find my interior light clicked on--grrrrrrr!

This is my concern, as well.

My car is 53 years old. In all that time, nothing was taken off of it.

In the three days it was in front of my house, someone had popped off the front emblem. Let's just say I was a might pissed.

The car is now in a safer neighborhood, far up a driveway, although still ungaraged. At least it's boxed in most of the time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: