Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flasher Relay
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

I'm sure this answer is in here somewhere, but I've been digging for a while now.

I'm at the point where it's time to clean up this rats nest and PO's splicing in an alarm mess.

The car is a 67, should it have a 9 pin relay and the two wire hazard switch? I ask because on the 67 wiring diagram, it looks like the flasher relay only has 7 pins, or maybe I'm missing something.

The 9 pin that is in the car looks to be not working, I can't get anything to flash or even light up any indicators, and's really rusty and looks water damaged.

Is there a way to quickly test this relay and see if there is just more wiring I need to clean up.

Thanks
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem.

Any resolution ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Nvmipis1 - can you confirm the details of your issue? What year of car? Is anything related to the turn signal working? If you hit the 4-way flashers, do they work? TS lights in the dash cluster - do they work? Does something work intermittently, or not at all? Have you checked the wiring diagram and compared it to what is actually in your car? Have you checked the ground connection associated with the system?

What symptoms does your car have, what have you checked? And photos are always helpful, but a description with some detail of what is going on would help this group be of greater use to you.
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Posted: Today 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Grey wire from steering columnQuick update, here is the break down of my trouble shooting 

All grounds - check 
All bulbs - check 
All wiring and fuses - check 
Blinker / column - check 

Everything checked, I have a 9 pin 12v flasher. All wired correctly. Using alligator clips I removed the VL wire from the flasher and wired it directly to the 30 red terminal and both blinkers lights front and back lit up..same for VR. Then i removed the wire from 49a. And did the same, and using my blinker switch all light lit up when I moved switch to either left or right. 

With all that,said. Is it a,bad flasher? I put hasee the car with the blinker not working and pre ious owner said he did the conversation but could not get blinkers to work. I did find that he uses single filament bulbs up front where there was suppose to be dual filament
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

66' fast back. Originally a 6v converted to 12v. By previous owner. It has emergency switch as well came with it from factory
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Forgive the picky-ness of my follow up questions - just trying to make sure that I really understand what isn’t working.

If I understood your last post correctly, you’ve verified that the wires are routed correctly. That does require some care and extra critical review, especially after a 6v to 12v conversion where the PO says they didn’t work after conversion. So you’ve very carefully double checked each wire’s routing and terminal connection quality. The spades on the switch and relay need to be clean - mine were all kinds of corroded and cleaning them half way didn’t cut it. Had to really see that they were corrosion free which made a difference.

And the ground connection. These are very fussy with respect to having a solid, quality ground connection that isn’t hampered by a dirty connector or a connection back to the body or grounding ring that is clean. Especially true if the ground goes back to a screw in the body somewhere that isn’t making good contact due to paint. (Yep - I had this problem too, and bad ground in my car meant turn signals didn’t work.)

I see that you checked bulbs and found that the front should have been dual filament. But besides that, the exterior bulbs lit up when you fed power to them. What wasn’t clear to me was how you did that. Sounded like you routed power around the 9pin flasher relay just to check that the circuit to the bulbs was good. Is that right?

And can I assume that the flasher relay isn’t making any sound - it’s not giving you the click click click you expect, correct?

Last question for now - you said that the relay was a 12v, but the Emergency switch was the original from the factory. That is the simple switch/complex relay set up, and I have the opposite so I’m not very knowledgeable on that set up, but I wonder if the 6v switch is compatible with the 12v relay? One of the folks with more 6v experience will have to chime in on that one.
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

And you might have already seen this link below. Looks like it might be of some help:

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html
nvmipis1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Flasher, I guess even when they are new they can be bad, I put jaded an other new flasher, and boom, everything working as it should.

But now. I installed a new new horn cause old one was no good, and the whole sterring column had power🤔 but only when I connect the horn, when i discommect it power is removed, when i wire or back up, I touch anything on the column, steering wheel etc. Wity a grounded wire and horn works? Its weird
RedSquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Flasher Relay Reply with quote

Good to have the relay sorted. I've seen quite a few posts on relays here where the person bought and installed a new one, only to find out that it was bad. But usually not until they spent a bunch of time chasing other stuff because it couldn't be the brand new relay. Frustrating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: