Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shrinking Door panel vinyl
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

Hi, I took out the old original 1958 door panels as the cardboard type og material needed replacing. I created new wood similar to og material using the template of the old material. I went to re fit the vinyl and i am about 1.5-2cm off. is it possible that the vinyl shrink? The og vinyl was stored in humid and cold environment. What can I do to expand the vinyl to fit the panel?

Could I leave them in the sun for some time or will it make it worse?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

yes warm it up in the sun or with a heat gun or hair dryer
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mattaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

Tks mate, do you think I will get the 2cm by doing that, and do I have to staple the vinyl to the panel immediately? bdw the og vinyl got abit wavy as well
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

it will be close and I would use a glue also. I had one redone on my 64 years ago and it turned out good.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mattaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

tks mate much appreciated will see how it turns out
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

How do you remove the old glue residue off the vinyl? Call an upholstery shop for stretching ideas, and possibly installation.

Geoff
Mattaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

Is the residue you are talking about brownish like wooden flackes? If yes do you think I should remove it first before stretching? and do you think that by stretching the material I would be able to get my 1.5-2 cm difference?
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

Normally, those brown flakes is the old glue that has deteriorated. On my 61, I ended up using the original vinyl and door card material. After soaking the vinyl with some quality vinyl treatment to soften it as much as I could. I then set the vinyl and card out in the sun to warm it up. I worked with spray adhesive from the middle out towards the end little by little also using a hair dryer to warm the vinyl. Mine stretched out considerably and is still in good shape. I am pretty sure mine was shrunk at least 1/4 inch and when I heated it up in the sun and with a hair dryer, I had plenty to work with.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

How do you remove the old glue from the vinyl? What is the vinyl treatment that is used?

Geoff
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

Elbow grease. I used a scotch brite pad gently to scrape off the old glue. There is no way to get all of it off, just the loose stuff.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Mattaxi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Shrinking Door panel vinyl Reply with quote

Hi guys, tried the methods above and altough i am getting near the correct size, i cannot quite get the 1 inch that i want? Any one has another solution? I suspect that the old glue residue is making the door panel upholstery un flexible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: