Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

questions about 58-60 beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66vwman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

what is the difference about the doors from a 58 to a 60 beetle ?? i know the 58-59 has the ice pick handles outside and the 60 has the push button but can you say use the ice pick handles on a 60 door and not have to change the whole door or ??? and 2nd question the steering wheels from a 58-60 i know 58-59 had the bat wing wheel and the 60 started the other type and i know that the spline shafts are different and could you put a 58-59 column in a 60 and with the shafts being different would you also have to change the steering box as well ???
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

From what I understand, the 60 beetle has a lot of one year only parts.
If your working on a 60, you should read the sticky on 60/61 beetles at the top of the forum... I'm sure it will contain tons of useful info for you .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

The 1958 Beetle does not have a true batwing wheel as stock.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

True batwing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe the batwing wheel ended with the 1955 model year. The images above are from The Samba's very own photo gallery linked above.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

You can use '60 doors on a '58-59, but you'll need to close up the foremost handle hole if you want to use the ice pick handles. The steering box used in the '58-59 is the same for the '60 as well, so the steering column will attach normally.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

66vwman wrote:
what is the difference about the doors from a 58 to a 60 beetle ?? i know the 58-59 has the ice pick handles outside and the 60 has the push button but can you say use the ice pick handles on a 60 door and not have to change the whole door or ??? and 2nd question the steering wheels from a 58-60 i know 58-59 had the bat wing wheel and the 60 started the other type and i know that the spline shafts are different and could you put a 58-59 column in a 60 and with the shafts being different would you also have to change the steering box as well ???

To swap steering wheels you would need the steering column, shaft, steering wheel, horn button, and turn signal switch. There will be some horn wiring issues to work out as well. You would not have to change the rag joint or steering box.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

66vwman wrote:

There is no problem putting in the earlier column and steering wheel. The earlier column will have the provision for the spring loaded electrical brush for the ground for the horn. You will also need the old style turn signal switch.
What most folks don't realize was the old style column and both types of standard model steering wheels were used until 1968 in the two standard ( type 111 and 112 sedan models plus the 115 and 116 ragtop sunroof models. Those models came with the old three spoke steering wheel which goes back to 1938. The other thing most people don't know was there was a variation of the standard model called the 1200 Custom. The Custom comes with some deluxe treatment, like body side molding and the old 1956-1959 steering wheel, however they are still known as the 111 base model. They were never sold in the U.S.
Here is a picture of my 1965 "A" sedan type 111 1200 Custom interior;
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/516079.jpg
In this left side picture you can see the brush holder in the steering column just below the column bracket;
http://www.pismoderelicts.com/photogallery/new%20format%20834/images/img_0136_edited_1.jpg
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

What is your goal?
The VW beetle model year 1960 featured a few one-year-only items.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66vwman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

My Goal is i have a 60 beetle and im cloning it to be a 58 so i want all the 58 parts so i was under the impression that i was going to change the entire doors to 58-59s and i was going to get a 58-59 column and turn switch and bat wing steering wheel i was going to make it fool proof looking so the bat wing steering wheel is not original on a 58 ??
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

To play Devils advocate here a little.... If you aren't even sure what makes a 58 unique, why are you so intent to recreate one to such a detail...? As always, your car, your choice, but why not embrace what year the car is before you start swapping fenders, doors and everything else. Fix the 60 up as a 60, sell it and use the money to buy a 58 if that's what you want.

With that said, the front fenders are slightly different. Look in the FAQ section and there is a thread concerning it. Another thing to consider is if you are going for "foolproof", you are going to have to change out anything that has a datecode on it such as the speedometer. Werent the sunvisors different? Again, check the thread above, there is an entire thread dedicated to this subject.

My .02.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

As above, and then if it were me judging your car I'd be looking for all electrical connections to be screw terminal nothing with spade connections. That would be true with the 1960, as well. So if you have any spade connectors especially in the engine compartment where it's all visible I'd call a foul. Get that kind of stuff ironed out first.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

"Foolproof" will be more than the doors and steering wheel.

-Wires will be routed differently for the headlights, and you'll need to weld hold down clips into the spare tire well
-sun visors will be different
-spark plug wires are routed differently
-I think 59-down had front fenders with a 'flare' at the running board, and a 'bulge', or more pronounced projection under the headlight.

If you do these above and change out to a 58/59 steering column, wheel, and switch, if swap doors, and choose the right color combo, you'll have a pretty convincing mimic.

This is assuming you have a non butchered 60 to begin with. It should have all the same sheet metal essentially, it will have all screw type electrical connections, a 36hp engine, split case trans, cloth headliner, anthracite floor mats, hump back tank, no fuel gauge, etc...

Please re read tasb's explanation about the wheels. The "skinny batwing-style" wheel that was on cars from 56-59 is mistakenly referred to as the "batwing".
There hasn't been a name for the 56-58 wheel that has really stuck, so people continue to call it a batwing, and that's not accurate when you compare it to a 55-down wheel.

Last edited by panicman on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

can't forget that pesky one year only transmission and mount either Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
can't forget that pesky one year only transmission and mount either Wink

Indeed! Which also means removing the red paint (1 year only) from the dipstick!
66vwman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

thanks pretty much thats what it will be a 58 on the outside doors and such all the other stuff wiring and etc will remain 60 i know a true die hard vw will be able to pick it apart but luckly there is none of them even close to living around me so im putting on the 58 fenders and doors and column and wheel so that its at least in there eyes if they roughly look at a 58 vw pic of one it will mostly def look like one at least im doing this to save the life of 2 cars a 1960 with a title and parts from a 58 that has not got a title and i know its hell to and illegal to change vin plates and all that so i figure run it as a 1960 but looks like a 58
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

ok, finally got your explanation as to why you would want to go to all the effort. I thought maybe you were born in 1958 and wanted a car to match, don't laugh its not that unusual.

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: questions about 58-60 beetle Reply with quote

Might be worth checking your local DMV. In some states all you need is a bill of
sale and you can get it titled and registered that way. If not your state, I believe Vermont has a way to do it by mail. You may be able to save both. Alternatively, most states title by the pan. Maybe you can find a pan with a title and use it to put the 58 body into.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: