Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any computer wizards around
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Any computer wizards around Reply with quote

I have my regular computer upstairs(cable) and bought a laptop for downstairs,What do i need to get wifi to it so i dont need to run cables to it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Any computer wizards around Reply with quote

You shouldn't need to do anything, it should already have Wi-Fi functionality. What type of computer is it? Windows or mac? Windows should have it down in the bottom right corner. Should look like bars rising up to the right.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Ran When Parked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Any computer wizards around Reply with quote

spanky324 wrote:
I have my regular computer upstairs(cable) and bought a laptop for downstairs,What do i need to get wifi to it so i dont need to run cables to it?

If you mean by " regular computer (cable) " that it is wired directly to a modem or router and you are not currently using wifi, then I would check to see if the modem or router has wifi built in. If yes, then ensure it is on and do what the previous poster said.

If you don't have a wireless router, then you need one. Walmart has them. You can call your internet service provider and ask them if you have it already or ask for a free upgrade. Gather information from them...and shop around...at Walmart.

Should be cheap and easy. Just make sure to change the default password on the router and turn on security. Most wifi router have easy safe setup instructions.

Your laptop's documentation (can be found online too) will have instructions for turning on wifi and putting in your credentials and saving the connection.

Here is the basic setup. These days, some modems have a built in Wifi router. So one box instead of two. Both ways work. You could keep your upstairs computer plugged in via a cable and have the laptop do wireless.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This image might not hang around long because it isn't VW related....sorry EV...it is only 40kb...
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any computer wizards around Reply with quote

Oh yes, I didn't think to ask if he had a wireless router.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any computer wizards around Reply with quote

The rebel in me would search for a unlocked network before I spent any money.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Any computer wizards around Reply with quote

Yes, What Mr. Bird said above.

cbeck wrote:
The rebel in me would search for a unlocked network before I spent any money.

If you are using my network there is a very good chance I can access your computer.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: