Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Trying to decide if my holiday flying into Amsterdam then driving around DK with my Danske bride in a hired car should include a diversion to tour VW...And if I go should I get the delux tour if available.

Any thoughts or other vw related suggestions? Has anyone been?

(December 22- January 4)

Tia, Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
Trying to decide if my holiday flying into Amsterdam then driving around DK with my Danske bride in a hired car should include a diversion to tour VW...And if I go should I get the delux tour if available.

Any thoughts or other vw related suggestions? Has anyone been?

(December 22- January 4)

Tia, Neil2

I have heard the vw museum is very interesting. congragulations on the bride! Have fun where ever you end up

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

I would recommend the Van Gough, Rijksmuseum, and zoological museums in Amsterdam, the Mercedes and Porsche museums in Germany.

Bon Voyage

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

The VW museum had some interesting stuff when I was there in May 2013, but the Autostadt was a bit disappointing -- mostly new/newer cars. They had a neat Vanagon Syncro on display in the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles building, good currywurst at the cafeteria and some nice landscaping and outdoor areas.

That said, I didn't go on any kind of tour either. Didn't get as early a start from Hannover as I wanted, and had be in Berlin by 21:00 to turn in the rental car to keep from being charged for an extra day...
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

I was there at VW Classic Parts in Oct. and I posted a thread about it with pictures and magically I can't find the thread anymore...

VW Classic Parts is worth going to if you need to buy something. Otherwise I do not think it is worth going out of your way for. There are more things you can do over there. It's a nice car showroom with nicely restored VW you can buy in it and there are some trinket gifts you can buy in the parts room if you wanted.
If you order anything it will probably have to come from their warehouse which will take a week so you will have to go back.
Check my profile for my photos of it in my Gallery.

Aside from the museums mentioned if you are going to be in the Amsterdam/Belgium area there are some really nice WWII museums, (tank museum in Belgium)

It's Xmas time, the street vendors stalls in the town square festivals are great!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
...the Mercedes and Porsche museums in Germany.

Aloha
tp

Okay, if we're talking other brands, BMW in Munich is worth a look, and the Alsace region of France is just a little to the west and houses the former Schlumpf collection, a massive car collection seized from two brothers and nationalized.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

It sounds like mixed reactions and I will ponder a bit more.

I won't be going south and won't be hanging out in Amsterdam. I've been to both already. I believe We will just cruise around Denmark and relax.

I do want to tour Hanover and surrounding but I think I will save that for a warmer less holiday based trip. (Have to meet all the pig farmers-in law).

And you thought all Danes were bakers and windmill repairmen...

Thanks again for the input.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

I personally really enjoyed stopping in Wolfsburg and checking out the Autosdadt. The museum was really enjoyable as there was a huge variety of VW stuff from many different generations. Some of the original bug prototypes and the like was just amazing.

I also took the factory tour, which while short, was amazing. Watching the precision and knowing the history of that factory was awesome. I would do it if you are going to be in the area. If it's a huge out of the way, then it's probably not worth it, but if you can catch a train and do it, Do it!

I agree with other posters that the Mercedes and Porsche museums are really worthwhile. They are better, especially the Mercedes museum. It chronicles not only Mercedes, but the evolution of the car in general. Really well done. Stuttgart itself is a useless town, but both those museums are totally worth the trip.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
(Have to meet all the pig farmers-in law).

Congratulations on the wedding Neil. That's very cool. You're going to have a great time with the Danish farmers!! Very Happy Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

We've actually been married 2.5 years but I still call her my bride. Not easy to find a Dane outside the U.S! They are content to stay in DK for the most part.

Bad news in an email from VW: they are closed for the holidays until the 4th so my decision just became a lot easier...

Next time for sure.

Thanks again for input.

Neil2
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/LLFUgEiEzs8

Do you know what Hygge is???
Mudpool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:

Well if you are around Seeland (Sjælland/Sorø - your wife can explain) and the "hygge" is too much - your welcome for some Syncro talk.

//B
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/the_secret_to_danish_happiness

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Mortensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Mudpool wrote:
furrylittleotter wrote:

Well if you are around Seeland (Sjælland/Sorø - your wife can explain) and the "hygge" is too much - your welcome for some Syncro talk.

//B

I'm always ready for some syncro talk. Very Happy
81 LBX westfalia camper
89 WBX doka
kenmag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

We Danes are all over the place, so I've noticed. If you are ever in Canada, look us up.

Glædelig Jul!!!
95 jetta GLX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Mudpool, or what your real name is, yes I know where Soro is, we will drive through going to Copenhagen to see touristy things like Tivoli...

Mortensen or what your real name is, I would love to see your van, it is one of my favourites on thesamba if you are offering to show it to me, yes please.

We are still open to suggested stops in DK if you have ideas.

I will probably by some European style work clothes, they do not sell them in the u.s. And the usd is pretty strong there now compared to my last visit which was painful rate!

My email is [email protected]

Thanks

Neil2
Mudpool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Hi Neil

Yes your welcome in Soro. Right now my Syncro is at the garage and I'm rebuilding an engine (DJ WBX) and some other small projects. The bus has to be ready for our next summer road trip to the north - Oskar d. 2 kapel - north of the Arctic circle.

Her is a link to our Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/472385769629407/?fref=ts

and a link to the Danish forum:
http://t3nettet.dk/index.php?topic=94963.0

and som photo from this summer road trip to Vardø (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vardø)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I sending a mail with more info

//Bent
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Bent, Tak for sending invite email hopefully it will work out and we can stop by. That is a classic looking van. We do not see many like that even in Seattle!

Vardo looks pretty crazy. One tree in the whole town!

Neil
Bicycle019
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:
I agree with other posters that the Mercedes and Porsche museums are really worthwhile. They are better, especially the Mercedes museum. It chronicles not only Mercedes, but the evolution of the car in general. Really well done. Stuttgart itself is a useless town, but both those museums are totally worth the trip.

Agree with this poster. I travel to Europe frequently for work and as a car guy try to hit up the car attractions close to where ever I'm visiting. Benz and Porsche are pretty top of the list. I'd reserve a full part of the day for Benz. You can arrange for the factory tour of Porsche if you schedule ahead of time, no drop in's allowed. It's free to book ahead and super easy, very recommended as it adds a lot to the experience. The Porsche museum is solid, but only a half day at longest without adding the factory tour.

Another poster mentioned the Schlumpf museum, it's in Mulhouse, France and pretty under the radar but rad. Largest Bugatti collection in the world, along with lots of other cools stuff spanning the entire age of the automobile, including a selection of noteworthy race cars. It's the Bugatti's though that really bring the heat here. About a half day stop depending on how long you linger.

Good luck w/the trip, lots of fun car stuff over in Europe. Christmas carnivals in the major metro areas are also fun if that's your thing.
'17 Golf AllTrack (wife)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Wolfsburg Tour. Worth it? Reply with quote

Mudpool wrote:

//Bent

Great looking Syncro!
If you have any other pictures of your roof rack, I don't know about the rest of the folks, but I would love to see them!
Good luck on your engine rebuild and mods.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: