Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW birth certificate or info on body number?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

Anyone know if VW has any records they can provide if you only have a body number? Ive gotten many BC's before, but i always had the VIN. its an early car on the wrong chassis. Thanks anyone for any info...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

I am not 100% sure but to my knowledge, it is not possible. you can try but think the answer is no. , sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

Iīm not sure if they coud find any information just by the body number if they would try.
But they will not try.
Their definition of a car you own starts with a frame and its VIN number.
Everything else is just car parts.
So even with the most complete and perfect body shell in your hands, you just own car parts without identity and you donīt get a BC from them.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

No they can't. The whole system of archiving is based on the chassis data. For each chassis, they only have saved the engine number. Body numbers are not available, the same with transmission or axle numbers. This was never important for VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Body numbers are not available, the same with transmission or axle numbers. This was never important for VW.

I donīt know how much was recorded at sedans.
But about early convertibles they can sometimes tell anything.
Chassis number, engine number, body number, frame number.
Engine, front and rear axle number.
Even the key numbers of ignition and door.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

Yes, is right. But when the Volkswagen Museum does the request at the VW-Archive for the VIN they want to create a certificate or data sheet for, the Archive does only provide the data that is needed to create both papers. The Museum's personal don't even get one look at the scans or microfiche from the "Wagenbegleitkarte" today!
But secondly, even if this data is written on the Wagenbegleitkarte: These scans are assorted by chassis number, you are not able to set a filter to search for numbers from engines, axles, bodys etc. This is important to know for the understanding, why searching for a chassis number via numbers from other components is generally not possible.
And in the end, the third reason they would not do it, even if it would be technical possible, is, that they are not allowed to do so for the same data-protection guideline as for providing the engine numer! Imagine your chassis would be still used in another car, you would get the same chassis number from your revise research at VW and you would change your real chassis number for creating a matching numbers car. In that case, there would exist two cars with the same VIN...
kevm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

Interesting info there Carsten, I would love to get the body number for my 52 Karmann...
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

As far as I was told in 49/50 they recorded more Information than later.
I do not know how deep the available info is in 1952.
The body number is usually not mentioned on the birth certificate if you have your chassis number sended in with a request for a BC.

I once was in desperate need for a body number of a vert.
So I asked for the BC and at the same time managed to get in touch with someone in charge at the Auto Museum Volkswagen.
I showed him detailed pics of my project and explained my needs.
So he was able to see that it is an genuine car and not something made up that wants to fool around with identity.
After that he took personal care that on the BC the body number would be mentioned as well. And it was.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW birth certificate or info on body number? Reply with quote

I asked nicely and got it from museum.

Cant remember what were my exact words in e-mail , but it was something like i need body number to get a title in my country . I remember i got answer that i dont need body number but they gave it to me anyway.

Just ask nicely Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: