Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

Your new route looks much better. You will avoid known gridlock and the infamous unexpected CA freeway gridlock which appear out of nowhere for no reason.

Like Mark said, go as far south as you can and pack tarps to block wind and of course a heater.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

We are planning this same trip route around march. We want to cross the border into mexicali early in the morning so we can get to san felipe in a days worth of driving. Are there any suggestions on camping north of the border to help make an easy morning crossing? We are not too familiar with that area so any input would be helpful. Sorry to hijack but thought this info may be helpful
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rfoubi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

candyman wrote:
We are planning this same trip route around march. We want to cross the border into mexicali early in the morning so we can get to san felipe in a days worth of driving. Are there any suggestions on camping north of the border to help make an easy morning crossing? We are not too familiar with that area so any input would be helpful. Sorry to hijack but thought this info may be helpful

Not sure what you are looking for but there is tons of open desert between Yuma and calexico/mexicali. East of the dunes, near sidewinder road or ogilbe road. Tons of barren desert where you can just pull off on side roads and camp. Lots of people boondock in that area all the time. 45 mins from the mexicali border crossing. Unless you are coming from the west, in which case you can ignore my post!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

rfoubi wrote:
candyman wrote:

Not sure what you are looking for but there is tons of open desert between Yuma and calexico/mexicali. East of the dunes, near sidewinder road or ogilbe road. Tons of barren desert where you can just pull off on side roads and camp. Lots of people boondock in that area all the time. 45 mins from the mexicali border crossing. Unless you are coming from the west, in which case you can ignore my post!

Thats exactly what we are looking for! Thank you. I have never been to that area so I was not sure if there is any open space near the border. Boondocking is perfect for us
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

If you cross at Yuma- you will be going thru Quartzsite right when the biggest gem and mineral /swap meet- is going on-

also free parking -for dry camp, or grab a one day stay at the rv parks for shower.

if you get there,

pm me for pizza-

also get the 'baja bound 'map book- has everything- contact fellow travelers.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

If you cross early at Mexicali it is less than 3 hours to San Felipe so you can make it in time for an early lunch. Then get south to where things get a lot more interesting. Still plenty of day to do this.

The Sea of Cortez is very shallow at the top end and flat bottomed from all the eroded sand washed down from the Colorado River. At the shoreline this means low tide can take the water's edge way out with a sandy or mucky exposed bottom. At San Felipe this is still the case. As you go further south there is more and more deeper water and rocky shore with small coves. This transition becomes dramatic at Puertecitos which is about an hour south of San Felipe. I'd go at least that far and then you will be drawn to keep going deeper into the magic.

Mark

candyman wrote:
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
If you cross early at Mexicali it is less than 3 hours to San Felipe so you can make it in time for an early lunch. Then get south to where things get a lot more interesting. Still plenty of day to do this.

The Sea of Cortez is very shallow at the top end and flat bottomed from all the eroded sand washed down from the Colorado River. At the shoreline this means low tide can take the water's edge way out with a sandy or mucky exposed bottom. At San Felipe this is still the case. As you go further south there is more and more deeper water and rocky shore with small coves. This transition becomes dramatic at Puertecitos which is about an hour south of San Felipe. I'd go at least that far and then you will be drawn to keep going deeper into the magic.

Mark

candyman wrote:

Thanks Mark! Great info there (sorry to the PO not trying to hikack but this thread is pretty timely) we are planning late feb to mid march if anyone else is interested
Jason
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

It is a dream of mine to return to the bay for some fishing on one of the classic pangas.

http://www.mexfish.com/bola/bola.htm

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

Cross early in the morning. Do you speak any Spanish? It really helps. You can buy 2 weeks insurance at places near the border, especially Calexico. Change your money to Pesos and learn to count change in Spanish, it keeps you from being short changed and makes life simple when buying things.

The advice to not drive at night is good. I have seen 6 dead horses on the road where someone plowed into a herd. There are also cows and burros, as well as nightime is more likely to have fake road blocks or banditos. It also makes it harder to find campsites.

It's not unusual to have to pay for camping although usually it's only around $5 or $6 (converted to pesos). I recall it being higher at Gonzaga Bay.

The road south of San Filipe has some extreme dips so don't drive too fast. There is about 25 miles of rough road that has not been paved yet. It begins before you get to Coco's (with a C) corner and ends at Hwy 1. There are a lot of potholes on Hwy 1 between the junction and the Bay of LA junction.

When are you heading down? We will be crossing at Algodonas sometime around mid January driving our Dodge truck and camper. We'll be traveling from Salt Lake.

We are going to find a Viva Mexico sign or a Mexican flag to display to show we are their friends. Generally Mexicans are great people and go out of their way to be friendly. I don't expect there will be any problems.

At any military roadblock they usually ask you "Adonde Viene" which means "Where are you coming from?" and Adonde Va (Where are you going), and "Tiene Armas o Drogas" which means "Do you have guns or drugs" The answer is "No Tenemos" "We don't have any". They may want to look inside your van but it's usually not too intrusive. I always make sure things like cell phones and computers are out of sight. make sure you watch them. Most of it is just for show, they are a lot rougher on the Mexican people than the US tourists.

Don't be afraid to go to Mexico, but be cautious. As I aways say when people ask me if I'm afraid to go south of the border, Yes, I'm afraid someone will break into my house while I'm gone!

When you cross the border the real adventure begins!
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:

Don't be afraid to go to Mexico, but be cautious. As I aways say when people ask me if I'm afraid to go south of the border, Yes, I'm afraid someone will break into my house while I'm gone!

When you cross the border the real adventure begins!

I always heard from Canadians that their the biggest worry about traveling to Mexico, is getting through the US Wink
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

Lots of good stuff here. Mexicali/ Mex 5 seems like a good option. Getting thru Ensenada- and even the San Quintin area- is a bit of a PITA. Traffic, stop lights, road construction. Lots of opportunities to make a gringo mistake and have to pay a mordida. Ask me how I know.

Check the forums at bajanomad.com for recent trip reports and road conditions.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

Great information in this thread.

It looks like we're heading to Baja as well, but not until the last week of March. My wife & kids are flying into LA and I'm driving from Denver and picking them up, then they're flying out of San Diego the next weekend. So, we'll have six days or so in Baja if we do it right.

From what I've read so far, the gulf side seems to be where we want to be. It sounds like one initial logistical hurdle for us will be getting from LA to the border crossing (with a possible overnight beforehand so we can cross early in the morning.) Coming from LA, does it still make sense to go over to Mexicali?

My wife and daughters all speak fluent Spanish (I wing it as best as possible) so we've got that going for us...

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
Great information in this thread.

It looks like we're heading to Baja as well, but not until the last week of March. My wife & kids are flying into LA and I'm driving from Denver and picking them up, then they're flying out of San Diego the next weekend. So, we'll have six days or so in Baja if we do it right.

From what I've read so far, the gulf side seems to be where we want to be. It sounds like one initial logistical hurdle for us will be getting from LA to the border crossing (with a possible overnight beforehand so we can cross early in the morning.) Coming from LA, does it still make sense to go over to Mexicali?

My wife and daughters all speak fluent Spanish (I wing it as best as possible) so we've got that going for us...

Hi Joe,

With only 6 days to enjoy Baja,
I'd just head South from LA, entering @ Tijuana on your first day.

An Early Start should get you there before heavy traffic sets in.
I didn't think Tijuana was too difficult, at least going In.
Remember to veer West to hwy 1
Coming back to the US can be a Circus ! Rolling Eyes

This should put you in Ensenada around lunch time.

You won't need a Visa if you stay less than 7 days, as I understand it.
Get your Auto insurance on-line "Baja Bound" is one.

I take a dedicated low limit ATM card with me.
( around $2,000 limit )

And, just barely inside the MX border, there is a bank.
Easy Easy to miss it though! Wink
It's right on the curve, just past the inspection area.
You can see pictures of it on-line.
That should help you familiarize yourself with what to look for.

Get Plenty of Pesos there.
( they do go fast ! Wink

Enjoy !
John C...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

Technically everyone needs a tourist visa now, even near the border for short visits. There is a free one for up to 7 days. Longer than 7 days costs about $25. You may never have to show it but you still should have it. This is a fairly recent change in policy.

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/fmm-tourist-permits/

I would consider going down through Mexicali and San Feipe to camp at Gonzaga Bay and perhaps a night or two Bahia De Los Angeles. Then return up the Pacific side through Ensenada and Tijuana. This gets you more different Baja experiences than just doing one side or the other both ways.

Mark
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

We are going March, hopefully for up to six weeks. We're going a bit old school...
The camping equipment in our westy is completely stock — propane fridge (works great) and no aux battery. We aren't heavy electronics users but I have a 40 amp hr portable battery to charge flashlight batteries, run a 12v shower pump and jump start the van if needed.
So no electric fridge, propex, solar panels etc. I'll probably just bring my iPod and use wifi spots (if they can be found) to check emails. I might even just bring film cameras, no digital. We plan to hit campgrounds once-in-a-while to plug in, recharge etc.
Opinions on traveling Baja this way? I figure if it worked for westy owners before the advent of all this electronic stuff, it should still work okay for us now. My biggest concern is keeping the propane tank full!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Technically everyone needs a tourist visa now, even near the border for short visits. There is a free one for up to 7 days. Longer than 7 days costs about $25. You may never have to show it but you still should have it. This is a fairly recent change in policy.

Mark

Good to know !
(you can get your tourist visa
at the bank just past the Tijuana border
that I described above)

Have your paperwork complete in a foreign country !

I think it's also a good idea to have Copy's of your
passport, drivers license, insurance, visa w/problem phone numbers,
Medical Info, Important phone numbers, emergency cash, etc;

hidden away in your secret hiding place ( Rolling Eyes ) in your Van.

Take sufficient prescriptions you will need.

I'm wayyy behind times tech wise, &
I don't have a "smart" phone,
but I take a "scrubbed" laptop with me for Wifi and maybe a movie or two;
no TV Wink
( The Sun Rises and Sun Sets over the Ocean will be;
'For Your Viewing Pleasure !!! Very Happy

Go's without Saying but still a few folks pay the price
for absent mindlessly taking guns & ammo !
Don't do it !

Lastly, don't be afraid of Baja!
Stay aware, yes. Just like you would in the States;
(especially after Friday, January 20th ) Shocked

Get past Ensenada and it's still a lot like 1966 !
Andy sez: "Eso es un buen Cracker"Wink

Enjoy Exclamation Very Happy

JC...
onslowb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

joetiger

The end of March is prime time for going out to see the whales. At that time of year you would most likely have them come right up to the boat. It would be a bit more driving, especially after coming from Colorado, but worth it in my opinion. Not sure what age your kids are but for mine (11 and 6) it was an experience they will never forget.
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

onslowb wrote:
joetiger

The end of March is prime time for going out to see the whales. At that time of year you would most likely have them come right up to the boat. It would be a bit more driving, especially after coming from Colorado, but worth it in my opinion. Not sure what age your kids are but for mine (11 and 6) it was an experience they will never forget.

X2 !
Whale watching;

Best time ever!
And one of our prime reasons to travel the Baja!

Search; Shari Bondy, the best ever Whale watching guide IMHO !
Slightly SW of Guerrero Negro.
She'll get you right up to them
where you can actually pet them !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mID17vy6bXg
In fact we had a mother whale nudge her baby right up to the boat !

The whales seem to really like this!
& For me, this increased my awareness,
that the whales need preservation and protection.

Eye to eye contact with the whales !
What an experience ! Very Happy

JC...
Energy Concepts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

I would consider going down through Mexicali and San Feipe to camp at Gonzaga Bay and perhaps a night or two Bahia De Los Angeles.
Mark

In Bahia De Los Angeles, a lot of folks stay at a place called Daggets.
I call it "Bo Daggets" Cuz the bathrooms & showers
"are to die for" if'n ya get "their" drift !!! ... P U ... !!!!

Mark, if you could help me out, isn't there a nice camp
North of Bay LA? about 6 miles?
La Gringa or something like that?

What's it like & is there also a "town" there?
Do they let you camp on the beach?
Is it $ Free?

Thanks,
JC...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Baja 1st time w/ 2WD Westy - Advice wanted Reply with quote

I have stayed at Daggett's campo a few times when with other people but I prefer the more "wild" camping a couple miles north at Punta La Gringa. Conditions at any of the campo businesses can be better or worse over time so look over the facilities before deciding to pay for a spot at one.

You may be asked to pay something at just about any place you camp on the coasts since someone usually owns the adjacent land. In more remote spots you may never see anyone trying to collect and in slow seasons especially.

There is nothing much at La Gringa but a few rough pit toilets and a few shacks inside the fence. Someone usually collects money and takes your trash from you.

This photo is sunrise at La Gringa a few years ago.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: