Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'68 baja bug first VW
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Hey guys I just picked up my first VW and it is a '68 baja bug that needs some work. From what I can tell it has a 1600cc with dual 34icts and stinger exhaust. It wasn't running when I got it but thanks to this forum i got it running. From what Im reading I will have to rejet the carbs and get a sync tool to get it running good. The body is in pretty good shape from setting outside for 10yrs just have 2 rust spots in the in the rear wheel wells and the pan is really clean besides where the battery sits.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Welcome to the addiction...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

try and get it running first and see how it runs.. then, if need be re-jet.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

I got it running and it wouldn't idle and was back firing a little. I also need to replace the pump exhaust valve because it is leaking fuel.
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

not idling and back firing are not a main jet issue.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

the usual suspects: vacuum leak, high fuel pressure

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Does it have a swing axle or IRS rear ? Can't see from the picture
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

its IRS. Im going to get some new intake mounting gaskets and that exhaust pump valve because its leaking fuel out of the one carb under the accumulator pump. I haven't had it running longer then a minute due to the fuel leak but i had to give it throttle to keep it running. I was just reading on here the stock jets that came with these carbs needed to be changed so I figured I should change them. I haven't worked with carbs much at all so this is all new to me. I always worked on EFI systems. Here is a link I was talking about for the jets.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396440&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

what is an "exhaust pump valve"

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

turtleman62 wrote:
its IRS. .......0

Great that's what it looks like. Just FYI then your vw was converted from an automatic transmission which was the only IRS option in 68 ... If it is a 68.

Knowing that might help you if you find " extra" unknown parts or if you have shifting or clutch problems. What was changed was the tranny, the shift rod and shifter, the pedal assembly and the clutch tube. And of course an engine with a clutch.The clutch tube is sometimes not done correctly causing shifting problems. Typically a new clutch tube is installed either salvaged from another car or a new modified tube of some sort. Rarely, and I don't think in that year, there was a stock clutch tube already installed In some automatic models.

Looks like a fun project
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
what is an "exhaust pump valve"

I looked it up on this website where I got the carb kit. I have no clue what it is I just know I have fuel leaking from the port it screws into lol and the other carb isn't leaking there so I figure I need to replace it.

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product-p/79701.xxx.htm
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

dirtkeeper wrote:
turtleman62 wrote:
its IRS. .......0

Great that's what it looks like. Just FYI then your vw was converted from an automatic transmission which was the only IRS option in 68 ... If it is a 68.

Knowing that might help you if you find " extra" unknown parts or if you have shifting or clutch problems. What was changed was the tranny, the shift rod and shifter, the pedal assembly and the clutch tube. And of course an engine with a clutch.The clutch tube is sometimes not done correctly causing shifting problems. Typically a new clutch tube is installed either salvaged from another car or a new modified tube of some sort. Rarely, and I don't think in that year, there was a stock clutch tube already installed In some automatic models.

Looks like a fun project

Thanks for the heads up! If i have issues you will be the person I go to lol. The guy said the clutch pedal goes to the floor and it looks like the pedals have been changed. I will take more pics when I get home.
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Did some more work today removed all the interior to see what needs to be fixed. Who ever did work to this beetle before really didn't care about safety or anything. The 6 screws in the pics were the only thing holding BOTH seat brackets in lol. Sorry for the poor picture quality I am using a older smartphone and have bad lighting in my garage due to remodeling. I have some more pics on ill post of the pan and tranny and stuff. This is my first build and my first time using a forum so any advice is welcome Very Happy Very Happy

turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Some pics of the pan, transmission, rust spots and the interior. The pan seems to be in really good shape along with all the heater channels.

turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Well I got the engine running and idling just to find out the engine was running on two cylinders and blowing compression out of the 3&4 cylinders. I decided since the beetle has been setting for about 10yrs it is time for a rebuild. I ordered Tom Wilsons book and have been reading it and I feel pretty comfortable to rebuild the engine. I'm thinking about building a 1679 due to the funding at this current time and lack of shops in my area that can machine VW cases.
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

I don't want to deter you away from rebuilding your current aircooled, however I was in your same boat. Bought a car with a bad engine, used most of the parts the engine had. Limeted machine work. New cam, bearings, gaskets jugs, pistons, ect. Mild rebuild. Was into it 1500 give or take. Didn't like how it turned out. Over time started gathering parts for a subaru 2.2 legacy swap. I'm into that roughly the same amount. Now I have a water cooled, fuel injected baja bug. I did all of the work, to include modifying an aluminum radiator, motor mounts, wiring harness,and exhaust. I don't believe it could be done much more inexpencive than how I did it..

I know people don't like the idea of going watercooled, but it's twice the power with modern reliability.

Good luck with the build.

Tony
bullnerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

68's are IRS? Huh, I thought they started in 69. Learn somethin new everyday.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

I thought the 68 auto stick was irs?
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

Bad_chopper wrote:
I don't want to deter you away from rebuilding your current aircooled, however I was in your same boat. Bought a car with a bad engine, used most of the parts the engine had. Limeted machine work. New cam, bearings, gaskets jugs, pistons, ect. Mild rebuild. Was into it 1500 give or take. Didn't like how it turned out. Over time started gathering parts for a subaru 2.2 legacy swap. I'm into that roughly the same amount. Now I have a water cooled, fuel injected baja bug. I did all of the work, to include modifying an aluminum radiator, motor mounts, wiring harness,and exhaust. I don't believe it could be done much more inexpencive than how I did it..

I know people don't like the idea of going watercooled, but it's twice the power with modern reliability.

Good luck with the build.

Tony

I did think about going down that road and probally will later down the road. But right now I just want to get this thing running and on the road. In a few years i am building a big garage to put all my toys in then I am going to really get crazy with it and my other cars.
turtleman62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: '68 baja bug first VW Reply with quote

bullnerd wrote:
68's are IRS? Huh, I thought they started in 69. Learn somethin new everyday.

I double checked the vin on the pan like 3 times just to verfiy it was a 68 and it is lol. The guy that owned it before must of done a lot of switching and jerry rigging because this thing is pretty screwed up lol. I was looking at one of the brake backing plates and it has a drywall screw in it holding the brake cylinder in!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: