Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

I saw that there the other day and it looked good. I may get the Eastwood for like $200 though.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

A couple of items:

About $125 for an 80 Cuft bottle is about right.....out the door. What this means is you bought a bottle. When you take it back.....they swap it for a full one for about $40-$45. You are buying into the system.

A very few shops may tag you if you....if you are unknown and bring in your own bottle and its close to inspection date. If you are just startong out.....just pay up and get into the loop.

The harbor freight bottles. Be careful.
1. Some of what is on their shelf are OXYGEN bottles, have a different valve and cannot be filled with weld gas. The HF near me had no C02/argon bottles.

2. Yes....its fact. Some of their C02/Argon bottles do not have proper DOT markings. Depending on your locale....the dealer may not opt to fill them because they do not want them to get traded jnto their network......because they will not be allowed to transport them to other customers by truck.

If you wanted to improve anything on the Eastwood 135.....buy a better regulator set. It works wellm.....but as other online reviews I have found noted.....when your bottle gets down low in pressure...maybe 500 psi and less......it can get a bit spotty on regulation and y9u rind yourself turning the gas up.

I have not replaced mine yet.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Ok, so airgas was 10 more for half the tank? It was $137 for a full 40cf. I don't plan on a HF tank.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

I bought a good tank on Craigslist, after it was empty I take it to Airgas and they just swap it out for a new filled tank. I get a different tank each visit. If you buy a tank on CL....just be sure the tank you get is good and can swap "into the loop" as Ray said.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

What makes it able to swap into the loop?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Im not 100% sure. Has something to do with inspection date on the bottle. If out of date it needs testing/certified before filling... Or it could be a rental tank that they wont fill or add to their rotation.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Oh ok.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
What makes it able to swap into the loop?

Google "DOT markings for compressed argon bottles".
The first document that comes up is a really nice 48 page PDF pictirial on compressed gas bottle marking.

In short....the is a DOT CFR-49-178...(department of transportation , code of federal regulations) number and designation that is cast into the ring or shoulder around where the valve is mated to the bottle. It lists type of metal, gas type and pressure rating.

Also there are numbers that the welding gas company stamps into the bottle. These show that the bottle has been burst pressure tested every X # of years.
To do this they put it in a pit.....pump it up to design pressure which may be 3000 psi.....and hold it for a time. They screw in a new valve and a new blowout,safety valve and restamp the date.

So the welding gas guys when they are not delivering product or working behind the counter are testing and recertifying bottles. It costs something. If you want "your" private bottle recertified....they will do that for a fee. Some people who weld for a living are picky about theur tanks and own them outright.

So.....if you buy a beat up dented and rusted bottle that has three months left before its recertification time is due.....the local gas supplier may look at you with a hairy eye if you bring it in empty and want to trade it for a full one for $45. They then have to take on the cost of cleaning it and inspecting it and recertifying it......for the low cost.
If you work with one supplier in your area.....it generally pays to eityer get a decent empty used that has been well cared for locally....that probably has some of their stamps on it.....or just pay the cost of about $120 one time to get in their loop and $45 for refills after that.

See....if you show up with no bottle to refill.....they have to SELL it to you. Otherwise you may be one of the hundreds of one time hobby welders who buys a 40 or 80 CF bottle....uses it two times....leaves it in the garage for five years or more (and now the inspection is out of date).....and then sells it on craigs list Laughing .......so in the meantime.....every year the welding supply has X # of bottles that just disappear and never get back in the loop.....and every so often they have to invest in more to keep stocks up.

So they are not ripping you off. The money has to come from somewhere. In effect.....for $125.....you ARE buying a bottle.....for about $75 and a first time fill for about $45.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Ok, I get it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Another thing to consider when buying a used CL bottle. If you buy a Prax-Air bottle and try to take it into Air Gas. You may get a frosty reception.
I did this years ago with a bottle that I got from and swapped to the above suppliers. The counter dude was none too happy about the swap.

Everything Ray has stated is correct.

BTW. You can still blow holes in your sheet metal with a gas rig. Ask me how I know Shocked

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Another thing to consider when buying a used CL bottle. If you buy a Prax-Air bottle and try to take it into Air Gas. You may get a frosty reception.
I did this years ago with a bottle that I got from and swapped to the above suppliers. The counter dude was none too happy about the swap.

Everything Ray has stated is correct.

BTW. You can still blow holes in your sheet metal with a gas rig. Ask me how I know Shocked

Good Luck.

X2 on all of that. Ray
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Well I bought a mig 135 I'll post pics when it gets here. Now I'm gonna need a cylinder. I'm thinking a 120 with 75/25. How much does that run? I don't have much money left, so I may have to go smaller.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

In my locale the supply houses are reasonably priced on tanks. They were actually much lower priced than ordering Online with the added shipping.Call the two closest welding supply houses that fill tanks ;and with the distance of driving figured in ,chose from one of the two. Wink The place I go to will give you full credit if you want to buy up to a larger tank in the future. Wink
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

The only two near me are airgas and maineoxy. Airgas said 137 for a filled 40 cu and around 250 for a filled (I think) 125. Is this good?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Like I said the supply houses set prices by geographical location. In western NY, the only thing you can get cheaper by average in the U.S is welding tanks.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder WARNING Reply with quote

Don’t know if you folks have gotten/seen the latest HF ad. They are now advertising a 120 amp flux welder.

As I need/want to weld a small patch on a framehead, figured I’d check it out, do my little weld, and return it when done. Anxious

In the store, only the 90 amp is on display. They check inventory on the computer, they check the back, nobody could find this 120 amp welder.

Finally the store manager explains to me (and 2 HF employees) that the 120 amp welder is really the 90 amp welder, repackaged. Neutral The sign on the display of 90 welders says "120 Amp Welder". Eh?

So they are adding 30 amps, to the box. Not the welder. d'oh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

It looks like ChicagoElectric upped the amps on the fluxcore only welder they are going to sell and dropped the 90amp.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=flux+welder+

The HF near where I live seems like it's run by idiots because..... Laughing

The store generated ID (SKU)for the two different welders are different.
Flush_Gordon337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

I get my Mig and Oxy/Acetylene tanks from Tractor Supply. Might be a little more expensive but TS has better hours than most welding supply houses, evenings and weekends. Its nice to get a tank on Sunday, you know when you always run out.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
It looks like ChicagoElectric upped the amps on the fluxcore only welder they are going to sell and dropped the 90amp.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=flux+welder+

The HF near where I live seems like it's run by idiots because..... Laughing

The store generated ID (SKU)for the two different welders are different.

The post above you says it's just the pckage Confused I don't get companies that do stuff like that. Tractor supply seems to be a lot more expensive. $350 for a 125! That's a hundred bucks more than airgas. Could I just lease one from airgas? That seems a bit cheaper than buying.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight 90 Amp Welder Reply with quote

Could they fill something like this?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/80-CUBIC-FOOT-ARGON-HELIUM-N...nav=SEARCH
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
KentPS wrote:

mukluk wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: