Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can convertible top be moved manually?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

I'm buying a 2006 Beetle at a really good price. Only issue is the top won't open or close with the switch. Can the top be opened or closed by hand?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

Yes, but you will be pushing it against the hydraulics. Just gently push against the top & it will slowly bleed off fluid, but it will take a few minutes.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

There is a valve that can be opened on the pump, so you won't be fighting it, when operating manually. There should be instructions in the manual for emergency operation.

Central Jersey VW Society
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

This ^

There is no good deal on a convertible Beetle, they are all terrible when it comes to the top operation. Wait till the windows stop working.

You heard it here first.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

And what is the problem that the windows stop working?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

Most of the operating gear of the Beetle convertible is not reliable. The window regulators are cheap and break. From my understanding with my contacts, they are not cheap to replace. The last time I saw an estimate to replace them was $1000.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

If you think a Bentley manual is expensive, wait until you have to start repairing this beast. If the safety switches for the top go bad (or get misaligned), you can't start the car. I hope you haven't bought it yet.

Here's what you have to replace if the rear regulator goes bad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They make a repair kit to replace just the cable, but if either of those little white rollers is broken, you have to buy the whole $630 part.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

So is it mostly the cable that is breaking?
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

Let's not spread rumors now. There is nothing that electrically connects starting the car and the top! Of all the switches on the top, I have only ever seen the one in the header that tells the car the top is locked closed, and the one on the right side ram go bad. Of course as the cars get older other things can go. I have repaired plenty rear window regulators, but have not seen the rollers broken. Before the repair kit was available, the only option was the whole assembly.

Central Jersey VW Society
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
Let's not spread rumors now. There is nothing that electrically connects starting the car and the top! Of all the switches on the top, I have only ever seen the one in the header that tells the car the top is locked closed, and the one on the right side ram go bad. Of course as the cars get older other things can go. I have repaired plenty rear window regulators, but have not seen the rollers broken. Before the repair kit was available, the only option was the whole assembly.

Oops, I guess it was the Audi cabs I was remembering.

crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

i know a guy who shorted a brake light bulb holder harness.. it breaks its wires at the trunk hinge... poof comfort control modual now fried.. just from opening the trunk to replace a tail light bulb... was a $1k+ wtf...

ive done a rear regulator.. 1st and last...
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can convertible top be moved manually? Reply with quote

The owners manual it tell you how to put the top down without power.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: