Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
If there's no tabs welded on and you don't/can't weld any on, then I like to use the early brackets like these......

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1561661

Nice, those look good. Also the ones above. I am cool with something basic and inexpensive. Im broke at this point Smile ha. Do you have any extras Aaron?
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, don't have any extras. I just weld the tabs on.

I don't have any experience with them but the ones Greg pointed out are more readily available and he sells them as well. ...and they are billit aluminum, can't ever have enough of that stuff Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
oodeftone wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
oodeftone wrote:
As a side note, I took 2 of the 15x4 smoothies in to have them widened to 5" and I also had them change the offset by -3/8". He said that was pushing the limit. Thoughts on that?

Why waste time and resources on beetle wheels? Get some bus wheels to modify, or buy aftermarket wheels that are already wide, and are brand new. You can buy new wheels for $100 each, or less. You can buy bus wheels for less than half that, have them powdercoated and be on your way.

Get rid of the beetle wheels and tires. Get some bus wheels and some smaller tires on your bus. Front could be 185/50R15 and rear could be 195/50R15. Then you get to drive your bus.

Ahhhh, if it were only so pure and easy. First, I can't really run bus wheels up front, from what I understand, because I installed the Airkewld disc conversion kit. Second, I like the look of smoothies (I know, blasphemy). Third, I didn't see any aftermarket wheels I liked, plus I want whitewalls which don't really go with alloys. 4th, it's hard to find a nice, proper bus rim for $50. Anyway, too late now, I'm sinking another $170 into the bug rims. If it doesn't work out you might see them for sale here on The Samba soon. 15"x5" smoothies with a -3/8" offset, we'll see.

If that is the look you are after, then that is the way you should go. But if you installed Airkewled bus brakes, they should fit bus 15" wheels.

Also, you likely won't find a whitewall tire in a small enough profile to fit the front of your lowered bus.

On that bit...has anyone tried to install portawall whitewalls on 50 series tires?

Gordo.

There is a thread in readers rides about pics with widened bug smoothies.
I like the way widened smoothies look if the offset is changed.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've done any lowering of a bus. I'm running a narrowed rear torsion and have a drum, end casting and brakes question.

Is there a short end casting and long spline axle combo that allows you to run type 3 wide five drums without machining the snout?

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
It's been a while since I've done any lowering of a bus. I'm running a narrowed rear torsion and have a drum, end casting and brakes question.

Is there a short end casting and long spline axle combo that allows you to run type 3 wide five drums without machining the snout?

why do you want to run a short end casting?
the only long axle/short casting I know of is a '67 bug tube but not sure if it will work with the long spline

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:

Nope, you narrowed the torsion housing for some unknown and probably unnecessary reason, so you're stuck running short axles and short splines. Unless SAW or Crown made a short axle with long splines, but I've never seen one.

Very Happy
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
DubStyle wrote:

Nope, you narrowed the torsion housing for some unknown and probably unnecessary reason, so you're stuck running short axles and short splines. Unless SAW or Crown made a short axle with long splines, but I've never seen one.

Very Happy

Yeah, what he said....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
DubStyle wrote:

Very Happy

A simple NO would have done Aaron. Razz

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
the only long axle/short casting I know of is a '67 bug tube but not sure if it will work with the long spline

I was told the same thing about the 67 axle set-up. I'm looking at options to get a wider tire in the wheel well without letting the air out or using a jack to get it in. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
I'm looking at options to get a wider tire in the wheel well without letting the air out or using a jack to get it in. Wink

In my eyes there is no justifiable reason to hack a Bus. That shit is for mini truckers Very Happy

It's your Bus for now though, so make it yours.

Hugs and kisses,
Aaron
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up yours you SH purist! LMAO Razz I'm good and can take the criticism. I am 43, which put me in the mini trucker era. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
I am 43, which put me in the mini trucker era. Wink

I'm right behind you at 42. Never bought into that scene. I'm still hoping for parachute pants to make a come back though Laughing
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
I'm still hoping for parachute pants to make a come back though Laughing

Those were so bad ass! Pockets and zippers and material that was soft. LOL

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
joe56vw wrote:

I was told the same thing about the 67 axle set-up. I'm looking at options to get a wider tire in the wheel well without letting the air out or using a jack to get it in. Wink

With a narrowed housing you can fit a 8" 0 offset rim in the back with short axle short spline. Add adjustable plates and your wont need a jack or anything to get the wheel on.

I just built a custom IRS set up to run 8" -6 offset rims in the rear. No rubbing. No letting the air out. No wiggling. Just put it right up in there.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
DubStyle wrote:

Very Happy

huh? I had a 3" narrowed torsion housing on my '56 with completely stock '68 bug tranny(long axles/long spline) brakes to brakes with machined early bus drums and it fit perfectly

stock bug axle tubes all bolt to the same width housings the differences in them are from where the springplate bolts on out
which means on a 3" narrow bus housing you can do short axle/short splines, long axle/ short splines, or long axles/long splines
it's the offset of wheels and/or thickness of brake drums that is the real factor

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me the tire isn't going in on it's own. LOL Yes with short splines and short end casting, you can fit anything. I have a long/long in there. What I was trying to do is not waste money on new brake hardware. I already have new drums, shoes and wheel cylinders. I'm going to try a couple things and if they don't work out, I'll find short/short set-up and cut the drum snout.

Once the tires in, there will be a 1" gap between it and inner lip. If I had stock wheels, it would already be done. LOL I had to go with aftermarket wheels. Rolling Eyes

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
I had a 3" narrowed torsion housing on my '56 with completely stock '68 bug tranny(long axles/long spline) brakes to brakes with machined early bus drums and it fit perfectly

He asked for short end casting setup and I kept that as a requirement in my reply and to try and keep people from doing that narrowing bullshit Laughing

Yes, you can totally negate the torsion narrowing by bolting in a long axle setup. You can also bolt short axles to a Bus without having to narrow the torsion. Lots of options. What ever tire rim combo you get in your head that you just have to have, will determine suspension and more importantly the brake setup.
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's all relevant to the tire & wheel combination and brakes. Also parts availability play a huge roll into what you do or don't do.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

cage66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

durfeec wrote:

With a narrowed housing you can fit a 8" 0 offset rim in the back with short axle short spline. Add adjustable plates and your wont need a jack or anything to get the wheel on.

I just built a custom IRS set up to run 8" -6 offset rims in the rear. No rubbing. No letting the air out. No wiggling. Just put it right up in there.

Narrowed AND IRS?
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Very Happy
I am running the same setup and love it.
Looks funny with stock wheels but with aftermarket wheels looks great.

This setup is perfect if someone ends up doing air ride on it in the future.
My next (and hopefully last) bus will just be SAK though so maybe I can just build it and enjoy it.
Also I figure Aaron will give me a hell of a deal on parts just so I dont use IRS again.
Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cage66 wrote:
durfeec wrote:

Narrowed AND IRS?
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Very Happy
I am running the same setup and love it.
Looks funny with stock wheels but with aftermarket wheels looks great.

This setup is perfect if someone ends up doing air ride on it in the future.
My next (and hopefully last) bus will just be SAK though so maybe I can just build it and enjoy it.
Also I figure Aaron will give me a hell of a deal on parts just so I dont use IRS again.
Wink

Except I narrowed my housing and my trailing arms. Super narrow. Laughing I don't think I will ever do a SAK again because I ate my fulcrum plates. I love wide wheels on the rear and they just don't do well slammed. That was my reason to do an IRS instead.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 72 of 100

Jump to: