Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, I have a setup question for a mild drop (not slammed).

Plans are for straight axle in the rear.
Up front, I'd like to run a 68 bay beam with drop spindles.

My question is, with the bay beam with drop spindles, will I be able to adjust the straight rear enough to get the bus level? Or should I just run with the stock beam with flipped spindles?

I'd like to run at least 195 / 60's all around (or as big as I can fit without rubbing) with stock bus wide 5s.

Thanks.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bay beam and ball joints sound nice, I've wanted to do that for a while too.

It would be easier to get adjusters welded on the beam to get the front right, unless you got adjustable spring plates for the rear.

Too much much camber in the rear causes a lot of problems. Best to get the rear setup how you like it and adjust the front to match.

When you narrow your bay beam, can you keep the needle bearings, or do you have to use bushings?
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this on an early bus (fat lip dogleg)? I don't know about 195's all the way around. On the rear, that's a good size, but on the front that's pretty wide. With just a spindle drop you might be ok, but there might be some rubbing when you bottom out.
Why fit a bay beam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. why a Bay Beam? In my experience and opinion Ball Joints SUCK! They ride rougher because of slap when they are lowered. Link pins have more travel and eliminate slap.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

63 bus, so fat lip, I think?

DubStyle wrote:
Yes.. why a Bay Beam? In my experience and opinion Ball Joints SUCK! They ride rougher because of slap when they are lowered. Link pins have more travel and eliminate slap.

Hey Anthony!
Well, I wanted a bay beam for better handling (more adjustments for alignment), and since I'm not going too low I figured the ride would be ok. Plus easy transition to discs later?

Right now I'm just leaning toward flipped spindles though.

This is the height I was going for (cdennisg's bus)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnnypan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

b/j drop spindle usual come in 2.5" drop vs l/p with 3.5"

b/j will bottom out if you go too low even with the "lowered b/j" installed

b/j beams have a wider track then king/link beams do plus disc brakes will most likely rub

in MY experience and opinion b/j beams ride and handle like crap vs a king/link beam

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
b/j drop spindle usual come in 2.5" drop vs l/p with 3.5"

b/j will bottom out if you go too low even with the "lowered b/j" installed

b/j beams have a wider track then king/link beams do plus disc brakes will most likely rub

in MY experience and opinion b/j beams ride and handle like crap vs a king/link beam

Well there ya go. I'll stick with the K/L then.
Thanks guys.
johnnypan wrote:
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Corey listed the spec's he had on his Riveria in this thread somewhere...but it would probably be faster to PM him about it. Off memory, flipped spindles and straight axle rear. 195 60's rear...can't remember the fronts. I like the look of his bus too, and was shooting for that height with my Kombi...then I realized how crappy that was with my RGB's, and raised my bus back up. Too hard to haul all my swap crap in it with the wheels tucked in the rear. It would of been nice with a straight axle, but I didn't want to take the 63' only RGB's off my trans. Your dog legs should be thin lip....You have more room for bigger tires in the front.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
I think Corey listed the spec's he had on his Riveria in this thread somewhere...but it would probably be faster to PM him about it. Off memory, flipped spindles and straight axle rear. 195 60's rear...can't remember the fronts. I like the look of his bus too, and was shooting for that height with my Kombi...then I realized how crappy that was with my RGB's, and raised my bus back up. Too hard to haul all my swap crap in it with the wheels tucked in the rear. It would of been nice with a straight axle, but I didn't want to take the 63' only RGB's off my trans. Your dog legs should be thin lip....You have more room for bigger tires in the front.

Page one here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=217649&highlight=wheels+suspension

He modified his stock wheels though.
And you're right, thin lip.
johnnypan wrote:
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cully, are you doing this on Dusty?

Either way stick with the L/P front end. You should be able to get away with the 195/60's on the front with the thin lip DL's.

Here's the 62 with flipped spindle's and a straight axle, 195/50's front, 195/60's rear. Keep in mind that I have fat lip DL's. Hope this help's!!

DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn I didn't even look at the poster name. How has it been dude? I don't think there is really a handling benefit from ball joint versus link pin. As far as adjustability... there really isn't any either. It's been a while since I seen a bay beam, but the only reason people put them in a split is to get a lift. Flipped spindles will leave you the room you are looking for. Did you sell your SC and get into a different bus? If you go bay beam you'll need adjusters and flipped spindles for sure.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Ty, that's perfect. Love that bus. What brand tires are you running?
Scoops is moving on. I'll miss the ol' gal.

Getting a '63 kombi with a partial camper kit. Super rusty project but I'll be able to build it how I want, whereas with Scoops I thought it should stay stock.

Looking forward to having something to pass out in.
johnnypan wrote:
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Nice Ty, that's perfect. Love that bus. What brand tires are you running?
Scoops is moving on. I'll miss the ol' gal.

Getting a '63 kombi with a partial camper kit. Super rusty project but I'll be able to build it how I want, whereas with Scoops I thought it should stay stock.

Looking forward to having something to pass out in.

Hey man I didn't see your response, sorry bud. Hope Scoops is going to a good home but I'm glad you're getting something you can pass out in Very Happy

Anyway's, I swapped my tires this week for 175/55's in the front and 195/65's in the rear. Like this set up much better. Brand..... uh, I know the front's are Nankang AS-1's, can't remember off the top of my head what the rear's are but if I remember right the guy said they were an off brand of Kumho or something like that. I didn't go all out with the rears as I wasn't sure if I'd like the 65's better then the 60's I had but so far glad I'm went with them.
Cameldave9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Lowering today Reply with quote

Lowered 2"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cameldave9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cameldave9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy with results. 6 hour job start to finish.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameldave - Thanks for posting but that really should in the Bay Window section, not here in Split Bus
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old 21 window:
baybeam with adjusters and relocated stops (no drop spindles), bus irs rear. 185/55 front 185/65 rear

86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
65Bugsmasher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read, skimmed, scammed, you name it through all 80 pages. When lowering my bus I plan to do the traditional 3.5 inch drop through flipped spindles for the front. For the rear I plan to find a 68 transaxle from a bug, for the long axle/ long spline combination. I know in addition to that I need offset spring plates, ebrake spacer, etc. based off of what has been discussed in this thread. Now here is where my question comes in...

If unable to find a 68 bug transaxle or Type 3, would I be able to use a 68 Ghia transaxle? Is this setup even possible? I searched through this thread but have found no answer or no person using this setup... Confused
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Bugsmasher wrote:
I have read, skimmed, scammed, you name it through all 80 pages. When lowering my bus I plan to do the traditional 3.5 inch drop through flipped spindles for the front. For the rear I plan to find a 68 transaxle from a bug, for the long axle/ long spline combination. I know in addition to that I need offset spring plates, ebrake spacer, etc. based off of what has been discussed in this thread. Now here is where my question comes in...

If unable to find a 68 bug transaxle or Type 3, would I be able to use a 68 Ghia transaxle? Is this setup even possible? I searched through this thread but have found no answer or no person using this setup... Confused

my understanding is ghias use the same trannies as bugs do but not sure if the changes were done at the same time as they were to bugs

you really only need the axles and tubes which can be bought new from CB performance

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 80 of 100

Jump to: