Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to burst your bubble. I have only seen adjustable spring plates for lengthened short axle tubes (short end casting) or if you narrow the torsion housing. To run that axle as is you will have to have offset plates if you find adjustable offsets let us know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cww
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: rear wheel cylinders Reply with quote

Trying to lower a 58 panel. Upgraded to dual mc, trying to bleed brakes starting with the closest. End up pushing out rear wheel cylinders. Trans is stamped 113 301 103. Has 41 above that & A0506424 below it. Old drums stamped 113 501 615 G. Bought new wide 5 drums. Cylinders are flaps quality. Any ideas? Maybe wrong shoes? Thanks for any help.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you adjust all the shoes out before bleeding the brakes? Sounds like the cylinders blew out from excess travel.
cww
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I should have mentioned that.
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Not to burst your bubble. I have only seen adjustable spring plates for lengthened short axle tubes (short end casting) or if you narrow the torsion housing. To run that axle as is you will have to have offset plates if you find adjustable offsets let us know.

in conclusion you are tell me that i can not use the adjustable spring plate, but only the offset spring plates

maybe is possible to use the adjustable plates, adding a piece for the offset?
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

in conclusion you are tell me that i can not use the adjustable spring plate, but only the offset spring plates

Unless you want to lengthen the tube on a set of short endcasting axle tubes. You cant run those adjustables as is. I'm surprised no one has made adjustable offset plates. It can be done. You will have to cut the adjustable plates and weld on the offset spacer and the part that bolts to the axle like the offsets have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

Unless you want to lengthen the tube on a set of short endcasting axle tubes. You cant run those adjustables as is. I'm surprised no one has made adjustable offset plates. It can be done. You will have to cut the adjustable plates and weld on the offset spacer and the part that bolts to the axle like the offsets have.

I have always wondered why offset springplates became so popular. I guess it's because they are easier. But modifying the stock plates and lengthening the short casting axle tubes isn't difficult. And it's much cheaper.
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:

what do you mean with narrow the torsion housing? do you have a photo?

i'm studying the easy way for me for low the max possible my SC
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

Narrowing the torsion housing is a huge job, especially for an amateur builder. I would recommend you leave that option out for now.

Get a set of offset spring plates. They are the most simple option.

The highlighted words in your post are counteractive. Going low is easy, going slammed is not.
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

I have always wondered why offset springplates became so popular. I guess it's because they are easier. But modifying the stock plates and lengthening the short casting axle tubes isn't difficult. And it's much cheaper.

found on wagenswest the adjustable offset spring plates

easy way top for me
http://www.wagenswest.com/partstore/index.php/bus-...lates.html
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

Narrowing the torsion housing is a huge job, especially for an amateur builder. I would recommend you leave that option out for now.

The highlighted words in your post are counteractive. Going low is easy, going slammed is not.

i will follow your advice, nut it's possible to see a photo for information only
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

i will follow your advice, nut it's possible to see a photo for information only

I just did some searching and cannot find a build thread or anything specific regarding narrowing the torsion housing. I know it is here, but I cannot find it. I did see some photos in the beetle section, but still no build photos, only finished product.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacopotex wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

easy way top for me

Cool. I had not seen those before.

I'll save $400 and make my own stuff/trade for stuff.
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:
jacopotex wrote:
EmpiGT wrote:

easy way top for me

Cool. I had not seen those before.

I'll save $400 and make my own stuff/trade for stuff.

yes it's so cool, now i'm only looking all the possibilities way, and than i will value and decide
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone visually tell if this is a long axle?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
Yes

Thanks Aaron!
whitneyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:08 am    Post subject: IRS conversion brake line parts and mounting locations Reply with quote

Newbie here, sorry if this is not the appropriate thread for this. I'm in the process of installing a Bus Boys IRS lowering conversion on my 63 Panel. It's a well designed conversion kit, but I need a little direction running brake lines and hoses. The trailing arms are from a 73 Beetle that were stripped of brake lines so I am unsure of exact brake line locations and mounting points. I assume I need to use Beetle part numbers, line lengths, hoses, Tee location, and mounting locations? Wolfsburg West has a diagram, but actual photos would be more useful. Does anyone have photos of brake lines installed on Splitty running late model Beetle trailing arms?
Finbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, i´m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i´m asking anyway: I have 1966 split screen, and I would want to remove the reduction boxes and lower the rear a bit. I have an 1965 bug gearbox numbered 736 9091, drive axles and drums. Is this kit nearly "bolt on" or should I get something else? atleast the braking system needs upgrading.
And this is not the only question: I have heard rumors that 1968 typ2a front axle should fit to the split screen without major modification but can someone tell is this true? I have also an 1968 bay but at the moment i cant measure the axle.
Thank you in advance
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finbay wrote:
Hello, i´m not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i´m asking anyway: I have 1966 split screen, and I would want to remove the reduction boxes and lower the rear a bit. I have an 1965 bug gearbox numbered 736 9091, drive axles and drums. Is this kit nearly "bolt on" or should I get something else? atleast the braking system needs upgrading.
And this is not the only question: I have heard rumors that 1968 typ2a front axle should fit to the split screen without major modification but can someone tell is this true? I have also an 1968 bay but at the moment i cant measure the axle.
Thank you in advance

A 68/early 69 beam will fit. However, they RAISE the front ~1 to 1.5". You can lower them with adjusters and drop spindles. But it is more expensive than a link pin suspension and won't go as low.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 82 of 100

Jump to: