Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
kingodirtp3 wrote:
thanks, I went through that one, lot of it is old though, I was hoping someone had a parts list and a few pics of how they did it, getting tired of hitting my steering box when someone else gets in the car, thinking of a 1.25 in raise from wagenswest since I have a friend that is a certified welder. just not sure about cutting into the body like that.

you don't cut the body you cut a support rail that comes off the frame
I did a 1.5" raise on my last bus (without any "kit") it was easy and completely reversible

I just did mine 3 weeks ago, you don't need a kit and is't pretty easy other than pulling all the stuff out of the way. Still a simple task.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oodeftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 59 bus with a Wolfgang IRS kit installed with Thing rear end parts. It is lowered 1" in the rear. I need to lower it one more inch. Do I need to reindex the spring plates or what? Can anyone provide step by step instructions of how to do it or post a link to said instructions. I'm sure it's here somewhere but I can't find it. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oodeftone wrote:
I have a 59 bus with a Wolfgang IRS kit installed with Thing rear end parts. It is lowered 1" in the rear. I need to lower it one more inch. Do I need to reindex the spring plates or what? Can anyone provide step by step instructions of how to do it or post a link to said instructions. I'm sure it's here somewhere but I can't find it. Thanks.

Wolfgang doesn't provide detailed instructions?

Bus Boy's has some instructions for their kits, which should be similar:
http://www.bus-boys.com/instructions-home.htm

I use an SA kit and all I did was re index the plates to get the ride height I wanted.

Never did an IRS kit, so I don't know if you need to weld your collars in a certain position.

Let us know how it turns out.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oodeftone wrote:

Unless you have adjustable springplates, there is no other way to lower the rear without reindexing the springplates.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cru62 wrote:
oodeftone wrote:

Unless you have adjustable springplates, there is no other way to lower the rear without reindexing the springplates.

When I did the IRS conversion on my wife's 67 I went with the WagonsWest kit because of the adjustable springplates to make quick ride height adjustments rather than reindexing. I purchased the HD 1" longer axles from Wolfgang.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oodeftone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgang has instructions. I have them. I like the Bus Boys instructions better though, thanks for those. My question is more specific though. How exactly do you go about reindexing the spring plates? Do you jack up the car, take the tire off, unbolt the axle, unbolt the spring plate cover, mark the plate/torsion so you don't lose your place, pull out the spring plate, index it up into the wheel well a notch or two (to lower ride height), and bolt everything back together... Rookie question, I know.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oodeftone wrote:
Wolfgang has instructions. I have them. I like the Bus Boys instructions better though, thanks for those. My question is more specific though. How exactly do you go about reindexing the spring plates? Do you jack up the car, take the tire off, unbolt the axle, unbolt the spring plate cover, mark the plate/torsion so you don't lose your place, pull out the spring plate, index it up into the wheel well a notch or two (to lower ride height), and bolt everything back together... Rookie question, I know.

this is for a bug but it is pretty much the same you might have to weed thru some bs to get to the info you want Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212669

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Exhaust shopping, I've narrowed it down to these two options. Curious if anyone is running either, or had experience with them. My Bus has welded drop spindles, adjustable beam, and offset rear spring plates, and a raised steering box, it's not yet on the ground, but will sit pretty low.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/AA-Sidewinder-Racing-...winder.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Super-Flow-Muffler-155-207-052SF-p/155-207-052sf.htm
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
Hey guys,

Exhaust shopping, I've narrowed it down to these two options. Curious if anyone is running either, or had experience with them. My Bus has welded drop spindles, adjustable beam, and offset rear spring plates, and a raised steering box, it's not yet on the ground, but will sit pretty low.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Super-Flow-Muffler-155-207-052SF-p/155-207-052sf.htm

there are lots of posts about the second one leaking and not fitting very well

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
electronictofu wrote:
Hey guys,

I was hesitant because it takes 3 weeks to arrive shipped from Taiwan. Well thats good to know, this one was a little more expensive anyways. The Sidewinder I saw someone on this thread with photos, it looked good.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:
joe56vw wrote:
electronictofu wrote:
Hey guys,

I was hesitant because it takes 3 weeks to arrive shipped from Taiwan. Well thats good to know, this one was a little more expensive anyways. The Sidewinder I saw someone on this thread with photos, it looked good.

If you still have a stock size engine, go with the stock muffler. No better clearance anywhere. If you havea larger engine, then an aftermarket exhaust is your only choice.
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
electronictofu wrote:
joe56vw wrote:
electronictofu wrote:
Hey guys,

If you still have a stock size engine, go with the stock muffler. No better clearance anywhere. If you havea larger engine, then an aftermarket exhaust is your only choice.

Yeah it's a 1776 with larger heads , new case around 100hp.
My long block builder suggested 1.5".

Aiming towards sidewinder .
Does anyone scrape with it?

Also they don't offer it in ceramic.
Raw and stainless. Does stainless still need to be
Wrapped or is it good to go?
I prefer ceramic personally .
Zebilmnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on lowering my bus soon. I am going to do dropped spindles in the front. The rear is where I need some help. I have the original transaxle and would like to keep it for now. Is reindexing the spring plates the only way to drop the rear with rgbs? If I drop it about 4 inches with that method how much will it camber out? Does anyone have pictures of a bus done this way? Any help is appreciate.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't cheap out and do it this way. You will hate the ride, the handling and the looks. Go with a SAK and be done wid it.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I need some assistance...

Im getting close to bleeding the brakes on my all new system. New lines and MC, front is stock drums on lowered spindles and adjustable beam. Rear is a type 1 swing, with type 3 drums and lowered spring plates in the rear.

I've heard alot about people having to remove the axle housing bolts from the spring plates to get the wheel on and off. A PIA yes, but the one thing that's presenting an actual issue is the hard brake line needs to come off. When the axle swings down to get the tire off it won't lower unless the brake line is removed (luckily I haven't bled the brakes yet), Either the hard line or the rubber line removed, to give it some play. How to solve this? Longer hose or lines? If so what kind are you pros using?

Also, the center hub/bearing needs to be seating back a little bit more. I think this is a cause of the drum not fully getting seated back. Any tips on this? The threads on my axle took some accidental mild abuse trying to force it closer to being seated. Removing the hub/ axle center nut was a little sketchy, luckily it did not damage any threads.

Another issue. When I was trying to get my E-brake setup, and putting the axle on last month I heard a snap. I assumed it was the E-brake cable coming off inside the drum. I had the wheel on and said, hell... I'll fix it when I bleed the brakes. Tonight I removed the tire and the drum getting things prepped. Oddly, the E-brake cable looks fine (I cut some spring splines so it would fit properly, it was too long). So Im curious what the snap sound was. The axle and tire still spins fine within the transmission. Im hoping it was some fluke thing and I am not screwed here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Split 66'
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:

Also, the center hub/bearing needs to be seating back a little bit more. I think this is a cause of the drum not fully getting seated back. Any tips on this? The threads on my axle took some accidental mild abuse trying to force it closer to being seated. Removing the hub/ axle center nut was a little sketchy, luckily it did not damage any threads.

Something looks wrong with your axle cap seal. It looks like the spacer is poking past the outside of the seal, from here. There should be a flat washer in front of the spacer too.

This is 'a 68 Type 3 backing plate:

Page 3 of this link has the order of the seals, spacers and washer, might want to go over it and make sure everything is right.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type3_...ential.pdf

Are those aftermarket axle bearing-caps you are using? These are what I am used to seeing:

electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are 2 main type of axle caps, atleast in this discussion. Do yours have a beveled lip on them to hold that outter washer on? Mine are open all the way through. I think the drum is what actually holds it all on, instead of the axle cover lip. Im not sure if it's correct though. I remember in a previous discussion a while back this way was ok, but who knows. The axle cover I am holding was a 3rd extra, but almost identical to the ones installed.

Here are photos of the side giving issues. Also a couple photos of the driver side, which the axle nut seated perfectly and the wheel install seemed to go great, was it correct, Im not sure...? I thought so, but it fit and both sides are the same parts. So, maybe smack the driver side in so it fully seats? Im just nervous to slam on it.

Driver Side:

Passenger side nut fully seated:

electronictofu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some pro is dying to chime in about these axle covers... above.
Type 1 rear, type 1 68 long axles, type 3 drums and pads. I think the axle covers I have without the lip are type 1 matching the axle, not matching to the drum. Not sure if I should slam on the driver side or not. Because the passenger side fits, and it's the same setup. Not seated enough...?

But I also don't want to move forward if they are incorrect and not safe?
Any experience with this?

Sorry to blow up questions but I have one other Im still hoping someone can chime in. In order to change my tires, or bleed brakes like most here, I think you need to drop the axle off the spring plate to get the tire off. Are you guys running a longer rubber brake line, or longer steel brake line back there? I can't imagine having to re-bleed brakes every time I take a tire off.

I've got a small deadline to get things running so Im stressin' a bit.
wrenchnride247
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

electronictofu wrote:

Sorry to blow up questions but I have one other Im still hoping someone can chime in. In order to change my tires, or bleed brakes like most here, I think you need to drop the axle off the spring plate to get the tire off. Are you guys running a longer rubber brake line, or longer steel brake line back there? I can't imagine having to re-bleed brakes every time I take a tire off.

I've got a small deadline to get things running so Im stressin' a bit.

I tried the "unbolting the axle" deal with mine, and still couldn't get the wheel on. It made it harder to do. The only way I've had success is "the scissor jack method" I do have to take the shock off, but no lines have to come apart. But, I'm running a 205-50-16 with 55 offset wheel with 944 disc brakes. Did you try the jack method?

'62 SC 69x90.5 SP TI
'70 T1 84x105 DP T4
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im running 215/65/14 tires on 14x6 rims with 4 inches backspacing. the scissor jack method works great for me, rolled my rear fenders some too.
for bleeding the brakes I can get a wrench on the bleeder without jacking the car up or removing anything.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 74 of 100

Jump to: