Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Autry21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

brese73 wrote:
67 lowered with flipped spindles, 68 bug trans & modified spring plates. Im having an issue with tire wear. Bus rolls down the road straight as an arrow, but there seems to be a positive camber issue. Outter edges of my front tires are wearing. I installed the proper amount of spindle shims correctly. Anyone experience the same? Solution?

Is it wear or is it rubbing the upper-fender dogleg?
brese73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

tire wear. no rubbing of the dogleg.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

brese73 wrote:
67 lowered with flipped spindles, 68 bug trans & modified spring plates. I'm having an issue with tire wear. Bus rolls down the road straight as an arrow, but there seems to be a positive camber issue. Outer edges of my front tires are wearing. I installed the proper amount of spindle shims correctly. Anyone experience the same? Solution?

Double check your toe in and camber. Did you measure the trailing arm offset to determine the shim count? Do you know if your trailing arms and beam are straight/not bent?
brese73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Quote:
Double check your toe in and camber. Did you measure the trailing arm offset to determine the shim count? Do you know if your trailing arms and beam are straight/not bent?

toe in is correct. im definitely getting a positive camber. trailing arms/beam are not bent. I measured the trailing arm offset and have the correct shim count. The outside wear of the tires is the same for both tires. is there an adjustment that can be made for camber?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

brese73 wrote:
Quote:

toe in is correct. im definitely getting a positive camber. trailing arms/beam are not bent. I measured the trailing arm offset and have the correct shim count. The outside wear of the tires is the same for both tires. is there an adjustment that can be made for camber?

The trailing arm measurement to determine shim count is done specifically to make the correct camber. Those shims are the camber adjustment. Might be time to double check the measurement and shim count with the chart.
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Double check your shims, but I'd bet cdennisg's left nut that you have way too much toe-in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
Double check your shims, but I'd bet cdennisg's left nut that you have way too much toe-in.

I should get upset about that, but honestly, I really don't need them anymore. Wink Laughing
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
WideFive wrote:

I should get upset about that, but honestly, I really don't need them anymore. Wink Laughing

I figured you'd just be happy that I acknowledged that you even had a set, ha, ha. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

WideFive wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
WideFive wrote:

I figured you'd just be happy that I acknowledged that you even had a set, ha, ha. Very Happy

My wife keep's 'em in her purse.
brese73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

confirmed...way too much toe-in
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

brese73 wrote:
confirmed...way too much toe-in

Simple fix, nice.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Glad you got it figured. Tires are expensive.
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

Hello,
I want to lower my bus just a little bit, and I would like to use tires 185 65R15 with porsche 356 replica rims. I read a lot over the internet and this particular thread, and I know there are some that just use flipped spindles and everything else stock however there's not that much information on cases like these. This is exactly what I want for now (front suspension wise).
So my question is: are these going to fit without rubbing? Where do tires use to rub? At the top, or side of the fender?
tarzan271
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

megamau wrote:
Hello,
I want to lower my bus just a little bit, and I would like to use tires 185 65R15 with porsche 356 replica rims. I read a lot over the internet and this particular thread, and I know there are some that just use flipped spindles and everything else stock however there's not that much information on cases like these. This is exactly what I want for now (front suspension wise).
So my question is: are these going to fit without rubbing? Where do tires use to rub? At the top, or side of the fender?

Should fit. Tires rub on the top if they are tall and the bus is really low (flipped spindles with adj. beam). They rub on the outside (dogleg) if you use non-stock rims with wide offsets. This is why people narrow the beams. I am not sure what the offset of the 356 rims are compared to the stock bus rims, but I assume they are similar.
megamau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

tarzan271 wrote:
megamau wrote:
Hello,

Should fit. Tires rub on the top if they are tall and the bus is really low (flipped spindles with adj. beam). They rub on the outside (dogleg) if you use non-stock rims with wide offsets. This is why people narrow the beams. I am not sure what the offset of the 356 rims are compared to the stock bus rims, but I assume they are similar.

There are 2 types of offsets for these rims, 4.5x15 ET25 (like stock) and 5.5x15 ET15. So probably the ones with stock offset should fit.
brokenbus951
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I did a search and couldn't find the answer i was looking for. I have a lowered Splitty (4") with a 2" narrowed beam. Im running stock 15" wheels. I dont really care for the big & little look so, i want to run the same diameter all the way around.

Size suggestions?
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

195/60r15
kingodirtp3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I found out that bug sway bars fit bus beams.
I got a 2 in narrowed beam, didn't like the body roll without the swaybar so I got a few different bars and found that a 2 inch narrowed bug swaybar fits a 2inch narrowed bus beam. I used the stainless clamps and urethane bushings too, goes around corners much better now!
the bug bar is 3/4 instead of 7/8 but it works great since its a narrowed beam.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jacopotex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
mastorna wrote:
Well, I was able to fab a bolt to match the former PO's solution.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If anyone has a better idea for a proper solution or if ya'll think this works just fine, let me know.

That axle tube is clocked 45 degrees out of alignment. Your end casting should have the bolt holes at the four corners, not top/bottom/left/right.

I am having trouble wrapping my head around how that happened. I am guessing that the axle tubes were installed on the wrong sides.

Here is a beetle rear suspension setup. Yours should look nearly identical to this when properly assembled.

hi have the same problem i think, but i removed the swing axle from a bug, so i think that the end casting are in the right position.

than a friend give me the harry harpics kit, for adapt the bus spring plates to the bug plate, it the same that you can see on the book "how to modify volkswagen bus"

and this is the cut zone

what can i do for resolve this problem?
didn't foud many information about harry harpics kit
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: How to lower a Bus and all lowering questions Reply with quote

I have never heard of that kit. but it does appear to cause clearance issues with the upper shock cover. You may need to relocate the upper shock mount and/or remove that upper cover.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 86 of 100

Jump to: