Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

street tires on a spare rim
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

Would like to put a normal street tire on a spare steelie. The wheel is from a 17 x 5 ford mustang and I want to put a Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial 550R17 on it. Is this doable? Thanks!
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
Would like to put a normal street tire on a spare steelie. The wheel is from a 17 x 5 ford mustang and I want to put a Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial 550R17 on it. Is this doable? Thanks!
Jeff

You need to edit your post- don't know what a 550R17 is?
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

It's a brand new tire that isnt even out yet as far as I know - so what will work on what - who knows and definitely not VW people that don't use 17's and especially 17 inch bias ply looking tires
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial 550R17
https://www.cokertire.com/excelsior-stahl-sport-radial.html

It's going on a Volksrod project.

Basically, can any street tire go on a spare rim?
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

you are asking a very weird question. a tire is a tire, a rim is a rim, they do not know that they are spares

maybe you are asking because you are used to the little temporary tires or something? if thats the case, yes, there is no difference. Please note that the tire requires a tube
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

Why not? The rim is within the spec for the tire.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

Just wondering as the spares are to be inflated to 60psi and most car tires are around half that. Didn't know if the spare rim had some design differences to a standard rim.
Jeff
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

OK - I think I understand now - You have a "spare tire" rim, which is not a regular "road wheel" (as in do not drive over X MPH and no more than 50 miles ). And you want to put a spare on it......NOW I understand.

Don't know the answer to the question for sure, but I dont think the inflation pressure will matter - I would inflate your spare to whatever you other tires will be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd like to get 4 "spare" wheels and put 4 regular tires on. I like the look of them.
Jeff
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
Just wondering as the spares are to be inflated to 60psi and most car tires are around half that. Didn't know if the spare rim had some design differences to a standard rim.
Jeff

Today's spares have relatively high inflation pressures because they are 'space-savers.' The tire is smaller, so it needs more psi to support the vehicle when in use.

Use whatever the recommended inflation pressure is shown for the tire in question. You can't damage it by not going over that number. And you can always let air out if you need to.

And in the event you need to use the spare, get the regular tire fixed, and the spare off there asap.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: street tires on a spare rim Reply with quote

A lot of low buck drag racers ran "spare" front wheels on things like Mustangs and such because of the size and weight...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: