Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me info on what the main differences are in the crash box transaxles from early splits? from like the war year kdf up to like 1950? I thought that the very early ones were aluminum and then at some point they switched to cast with maybe an aluminum nosecone; can anyone elaborate?? what changes were there and when?? I can't find any info in the forums...
Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

im looking at a transaxle that appears to have an aluminum body but maybe a cast steel nosecone? both case and nosecobe
ne have kdf cogwheel logos....
any info anyone??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SplitPersonality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

The switch from alu to magnesium was in Feb 1951 - same time as the engine cases.
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

thanks for info; so all transaxles pre 1951 were aluminum case? do you know changes that occurred regarding alum nosecones vs cast steel? im looking at a transaxle with kdf logos on the side, with an "H" in a circle above, and a "17" stamped below cogwheel; and has a steel nosecone....
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

Im going to have to disagree with your info. I have verified that two other transaxles i know of that both clearly have verifed serial numbers from 1950 are magnesium cases, not aluminum. One was reported original to the car. one serial number is May 1950. I also have seen a restored 49 chassis with a magnesium trans. So it seems that info of a feb 51 switch over is not accurate. So I would like to know when the change occured.
Thanks for any info someone can provide.
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

Here the official statements:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mika. So it appears that some were beginning to be made in new material starting in March 49, and final full transition by the end of April '49.
Thanks again!

PS. Any info as to the use of steel nosecones on the early aluminum transaxles? were they all like that?
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

As far as I know those steel nose cones were used in 1944-45 (maybe parallel with alloy noses), maybe early 46.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Telephunken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

thanks for info Mika.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in early transaxles? pre 50, kdf, etc Reply with quote

I have an original May 47 gearbox, which has the yellow/brown painted steel nosecone, and so additionally they must also been produced after the war, or maybe using up old stock?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: