Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How i found a speedster
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

I never got it but i found it. It was about 1986 i was 19 and had just moved out of my parents house into my own. I spent my spare time riding my bike through neighborhoods looking for cool stuff. One day i was riding my bike and i saw the shape of a speedster underneath a crap ton of dirty blankets in a guy's front yard. The house is run down and there's a fence blocking the car in meaning it's been there for years. I jump the fence and tiptoe up to it and lift up the sheets a little bit. I check all the areas to see if it's just a kit car. Nope it's the real thing a 1955 unrestored with a white paint job. I leave the front yard and head home knowing I'll never be able to afford that and it's not like he'll be selling it. 6 months later I'm reading the paper and i see an ad "WANTED: VINTAGE PORSCHE MG AND JAGUAR" i give the guy a call and tell him i found a speedster. He asks me all these questions to make sure i know what I'm talking about. He tells me he will drive my way from Sacramento California next week. I give him my address and sure enough he comes to my door. we jump into his SUV with a trailer and head over. He sees the shape under the blankets and says "holy fuck" he immediately gets out of the car and literally leaps over the fence and in one swift motion tears the blankets off the car revealing a beautifully preserved speedster.(except for the interior that was pretty rotted) From the car i hear him shout "HOLY FUCK". It was at this point i thought we were gonna get arrested for breaking and entering. He runs to the front door and knocks on it. The owner comes out (he looks exactly like you'd expect, crazy guy with lots of cool shit who doesn't sell anything) the guy says "i wanna buy your car" the owner looks at the blankets tossed on the floor exposing the car and starts shouting and cursing at him for literally breaking into his yard. The guy quiets him down and says "listen I'm not fucking around i wanna buy your car i have money and i know what these are worth" after five minutes of negotiating he lays $35,000 down on the front porch step. He got the car! The owner slammed the door saying "you get it yourself". So we tied the SUV to the fence tore it off and loaded the speedster up. He gave me $200 as a finders fee, dropped me off at my house and drove away.
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Very cool story.
Craig Richter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

200 bucks? What a cheapster... Rolling Eyes
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Don't mean to hijack your thread but in 1998 I saw a '60 bug convertible for sale on the street. I told my local friend to go ask, he procrastinated for two weeks. When I saw him again he said the bug had been sold, but the guy had an early convertible speedster for 5k. By the time he told me and we went to see the car. It had been sold as the owner was moving. I hated my friend ever since.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Oooh man that's brutal!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Wouldn't $35K for a Speedster in 1986 be an insane amount of money?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking. I sold one in 76 for 28 hundred and that was top buck. I don't like to think about that now because I get a little suicidal Very Happy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Me too. I was thinking 5-10k? I could be wrong. Ive often wondered what life would be like if I got into old 356 stuff back in 1988 instead of Type 3 jargon Rolling Eyes

I only mention it as there were a couple guys in high school that had them AND I was tenacious back then owning well over 30 Type 3's by 1995. I knew they were around and cheap as no one wanted the 356 stuff really.

Ah what could've been. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

wasn't that when the market was hot for the speedsters before the bottom dropped out in the early 90's?
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

sorry guys that was a typo it was 1989 not 1986. Yeah he really paid $35,000 for it. I saw it with my own two eyes
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the story. I think there are a lot of guys out there keeping their stories private because they really feel ashamed Wink Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

56samba wrote:
Thanks for sharing the story. I think there are a lot of guys out there keeping their stories private because they really feel ashamed Wink Very Happy

Nah. Not so much. Im still a skeptic on this one. Unless we are talking a Quad cam Carrera? Then maybe.

I grew up with this old guy down the street from me that drove a 68-69 FI VW Squareback. Old man always had a cigar, always dressed in khakis even his fucking baseball cap. I remember walking home from school by his house, giving me the Goddamn kids look as I walked by. Definite WW2 crowd - kind that hated all and I mean ALL asians because he served in the Pacific Campaign. High and tight kind of dude.

Every once in awhile he had his detached garage doors open. And I shit you not he had three Porsches stuffed in there. One was a spyder for sure. Never took them out.

One day he was running the spyder - revving the shit out of it with 6 other people looking on. I stopped and walked up to the show. My first ever education on a quad cam - what it was - why it was - who raced this car. I was a kid and didn't appreciate what was being thrown at me in the moment.

Some years later he died and all his stuff vanished just as quick. Who was he? Who did e know? Why did he have 3 Porsches stuffed in his garage?

Unfortunately hes the old guy with a squareback to me. Base ooooh right.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

I got married in 1970 and sold my car to a guy, he was 300.00 short of my asking price. so he said he had an old Porsche he would give me for the 300.00. I said sure, i'm thinking I would pull the motor and sell it for the 300.00 I needed to put with the rest of the money I got for the car to make a down payment on some property I was wanting to buy. anyway we made the down payment with out the extra 300.00 and I still have the 356. its a nice 58 cab with very little rust, just the bottom of one door. I have never driven it yet, it had a broken shifter stick when I got it. its been stored inside all this time. we started the restoration about 2 years ago and hope to drive it his summer.
Jay D.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

badsix wrote:
I got married in 1970 and sold my car to a guy, he was 300.00 short of my asking price. so he said he had an old Porsche he would give me for the 300.00. I said sure, i'm thinking I would pull the motor and sell it for the 300.00 I needed to put with the rest of the money I got for the car to make a down payment on some property I was wanting to buy. anyway we made the down payment with out the extra 300.00 and I still have the 356. its a nice 58 cab with very little rust, just the bottom of one door. I have never driven it yet, it had a broken shifter stick when I got it. its been stored inside all this time. we started the restoration about 2 years ago and hope to drive it his summer.
Jay D.

Ohhhh, JAY!

Id love to see some pics of that. As well as others Im sure. Sounds like a neat build.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
badsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These are the only ones I can find right now i'll get some more next week its buried in the back of the shop right now i'm going to get it out next week and try and get going on it I've been down with back surgery for the last 3 months I have a lot of things ready to work on just have to be able the pictures are old as its almost all fitted and in primer now.
Jay D.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

Nice Cool

Always good to have one where you know where its been. Looks clean and straight.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Formcar 179
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How i found a speedster Reply with quote

When I was in High School in 1977 I found a '55 356 Speedster beside the road in Sudbury Massachusetts for sale for 500 bucks. It was pretty tired, had no interior and no engine. Came with a trailer. had a roll bar and racing numbers on it. Bright red with dents in almost every panel.

I was driving a '62 VW convertible at the time that I had paid 100 bucks for. No way I could entice the seller with my VW and my old man refused to loan me the 300 bucks I needed to buy it.

This is yet another reason I hoard cars.
1944 VW factory Zollner Dynometer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: