Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Original' 1952 coming up for auction
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

A friend in the UK sent me this news clipping. Given the later front bumper I wonder how 'original' this really is?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EDIT to add: here's a link with pictures on Hemmings.
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

http://www.rmsothebys.com/pa17/paris/lots/1952-volkswagen-beetle-brezel-sedan/1701657 Same car? Looks pretty good.
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Nice '52. But is it really an $86k car as per the auction estimate?
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

The auction estimate strikes me as high. I also wonder why the front bumper was replaced. Could it have been in an accident?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Cool car but not at that price!

It looks pretty wrecked to me for a low mileage car.

DDub wrote:
http://www.rmsothebys.com/pa17/paris/lots/1952-volkswagen-beetle-brezel-sedan/1701657 Same car? Looks pretty good.

On the page above, what's with the red paint up front?
Also they don't really show the front trunk area fully.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martenni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

What's up with that strange looking chassis-number ?
RDW = Dienst Wegverkeer ?
(Netherlands Vehicle Authority)

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/volkswagen/beetle/1903135.html
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

"After 50 years, the car was started up with the minimum of maintenance"

Well that will probably mean some damage to the engine then Sad

Coverage in a national rag will probably mean some rich guy who thinks it will be "cool" to own a split will buy it for silly money and the price of all splits in general then gets set at a point considerably higher than they are now. Soon, like with Split screen type 2's, the hobby will only be for the very wealthy. Oval prices then follow suit and before you know it rough late 60's cars are the only VW's most can afford to get into this hobby.

I adore Splits & love my Oval but really don't like the way the scene seems to be all about greedy people and making a fast buck these days... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Martenni wrote:

If I am seeing the picture correctly, it appears the number goes lengthwise on the tunnel not across? And it appears to be a series of tiny dots, not a stamping.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

DDub wrote:
Martenni wrote:

If I am seeing the picture correctly, it appears the number goes lengthwise on the tunnel not across? And it appears to be a series of tiny dots, not a stamping.

the only reference to RDW in automotive i could find was for a swedish make trailer hitch.
http://www.vbg.se/files/E4+55R-010064+01.pdf

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

RDW is the Netherlands vehicle registration people, that bug was registered with the Dutch prior to its journey to auction in Paris.
Martenni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

rmsothebys wrote:
... it is important to note that this beetle is offered with an Italian libretto ...

What 's that ? Italian registration ?
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

As I understand it, from the details provided in a recent advert for a NOS Mexican Beetle/Bug chassis, when you want to change a chassis on your vehicle in the Netherlands, you have to take the new/replacement chassis along to the registration authorities, who will put a new number on it, which I assume this is, and then you can fit your bodywork on to the new chassis. Pressumably they will have needed to see the old one at some stage, but maybe not, and you retain the original registration?

Here in the UK, in principle, the registration number normally stays with the chassis, whatever happens to the body. I'm not 100% sure, as I've never done such a swap (Seems to be common in the US, with many Oval bodies on a 60s/70s chassis) but if you use a different 2nd hand chassis, then you are allocated a new registration number, provided you can prove where the chassis came from. i.e. To stop stolen vehicles being 're-cycled'.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

The price is ridiculous, but to me the car is eye candy for just what is,no matter what's wrong with.it IMO. Very Happy
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

I've just been reading Sotheby's sometimes vague description, plus the photos, and they state that this car was lasted taxed in 1963, and had been in hibernation until 2014. They don't mention where it had been in hibernation, but by the look of the numberplate it will have been Sweden. The tax disc states Söderby-Karl which is a small village in north Stockholm, and so that seems to be the case.

So, since 2014, where has it been? From the Dutch chassis number, the Netherlands was probably its next stop. Then where? Sotheby's then say: 'It is important to note that this beetle is offered with an Italian libretto and has been properly registered for use on the road'.

Properly registered for use on the road where? In Italian, libretto means booklet. Are we to assume they mean registered in Italy (Despite Swedish number plates, and an apparent Dutch connection in between) or that it has an Italian handbook?

Now for sale in Paris! It's obviously now getting around Europe, making up for the lost 50 years sitting around doing nothing!
Steyrpuchhaflinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

It is very simple to understand the story of this car: car has slept in a Sweden barn till 2014, then, when it is found, it has been registred in Netherlands. Netherland RDW evidently did not read so well (according to the engineer) the original chassis number, crossed it, and did a new (original) number. Infact, according Volkswagen Wolfsburg it is all matching/correct, if you verify. After this passage, car has gone to Italy and did severe tests to obtain an official "libretto" and its new plates to drive it on the road everyday, so no need to do new tests. To obtain "libretto" and plates is not simple if the car is not "like new" in every detail and without original chassis and engine numbers. The red under hood in front is only an old anti-rust treatment of those years. Front bumper is not correct, right, but it is very simple to imagine that in more than 60 years of history, probably something "stupid" could be changed. I think if it had a bigger accident, it would not obtain its new "libretto" during official checks and tests for the new omologation. This is only what I think... All the best to all forum and happy new year!
Hacksaw-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Hmmm... do you think it might have the original air in the tires Question Question Question

http://www.VintageVolkswagenModels.com

Collector of Vintage VW Toys

BoB's Restor-Version Shop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ivan Fuller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

It may not be that relevant but n New Zealand if you want to register a car when the previous registration has expired if it does not have the "new 17?" digit Vin number then it is issued with a new number and Chassis/Vin plate. They etch this onto the back window as well (if you are silly enough to have the original window in when doing the process)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
In Italian, libretto means booklet.

yup. because the italian DMV registration paper once came in the shape of an actual booklet. The correct term is "carta di circolazione", but "libretto" is still widely used.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

This guy should be happy?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2005158
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: