Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Original' 1952 coming up for auction
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

IMHO If I had that amount of money, I'd buy either something nicely restored or a genuine time capsule car. this one is a bit meh for me. the re-stamped VIN alone, even if it is the original number, compromises the originality. the bumper is no biggie, true, but I've seen cars pulled straight with a chain, a slope and a tree passing inspections with flying colors, so I find hard to believe that a properly done front collision repair would have been noticed during the italian DMV inspection; and even if it was indeed noticed, a properly done repair would not compromise the registration - sure, but it compromises originality and thus the asking price.

just my 2 cents.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Steyrpuchhaflinger wrote:
After this passage, car has gone to Italy and did severe tests to obtain an official "libretto" and its new plates to drive it on the road everyday, so no need to do new tests. !

Are you sure that this car has been in Italy ? I've never heard of it here in Italy.
I think that it only has an italian user manual ...
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Never heard about it too, but if you read the Hemmings classified link posted before, the text speaks about the libretto addressing the fact the car is registered and roadworthy, from this I read "libretto" as "carta di circolazione" and not user's manual. Moreover, in an english text they would not have used the term "libretto" but rather simply written "italian user's manual" if it was the case.

It is entirely possible the car had VIN issues and somehow ended up being registered in Italy, maybe through an agency.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

mmm ok ... grazie Very Happy
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

What always gets me about these high dollar splits (and even ovals) being auctioned by these big multi-marque auction houses and/or publications, is how poorly the descriptions are written. Lack of details, etc. Do they really think that an educated vintage VW nut who might drool for these is going to overlook the obvious lack of details in the ad? Even if the seller was not privy to the important details (and I know the auction houses are not), wouldn't it be in their best interest to seek out a seasoned vintage VW nut, maybe buy them a plane ticket, or at least tons of pics and phone consult before they list a car "expected" to sell in the $80k range?

I dunno, maybe they want to lure in the "more money than brains" types. They seem to be everywhere....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Johnshenry,

The last thing they probably want is interest from well versed VW enthusiasts. After all they're more likely to bid a sensible price based on the real current market value of what appears to be a pretty beat up, mainly original car! The only objective of the auction house is to maximise profit for the seller and themselves, they care not for the hardcore following.

Getting national press exposure with silly estimates will bring the rich guys with more money than sense out looking for the next "cool" toy and lock that estimate in their noodles. If it does sell to this type of owner, it'll probably be bad for the cars future preservation Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Translation for above: Noodle is an old fashioned UK slang word for 'Head'!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

haha! Thanks for that Martin, must be showing my age Wink
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Even if the seller was not privy to the important details (and I know the auction houses are not), wouldn't it be in their best interest to seek out a seasoned vintage VW nut, maybe buy them a plane ticket, or at least tons of pics and phone consult before they list a car "expected" to sell in the $80k range?

I dunno, maybe they want to lure in the "more money than brains" types. They seem to be everywhere....

I think what's important to note is that the folks who attend these types of auctions would consider $80k chump change. They are accustomed to spending millions for their collector cars. Clearly this auction houses target audience isn't the majority of folks on The Samba. Very Happy

We all know Jerry Seinfeld loves old VW's. His latest net worth is north of $800 million dollars. I can't see him being concerned with that price at all if he was interested in that car.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
What always gets me about these high dollar splits (and even ovals) being auctioned by these big multi-marque auction houses and/or publications, is how poorly the descriptions are written. Lack of details, etc. Do they really think that an educated vintage VW nut who might drool for these is going to overlook the obvious lack of details in the ad? Even if the seller was not privy to the important details (and I know the auction houses are not), wouldn't it be in their best interest to seek out a seasoned vintage VW nut, maybe buy them a plane ticket, or at least tons of pics and phone consult before they list a car "expected" to sell in the $80k range?

The auction houses are always careful to describe the engine of vintage beetles, being 4 cylinder boxer with a 4 speed transaxle. Wow, what a useful piece of information!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

that's because they are trying to sell it to people who use to think any car should have at least 12 cylinders and a couple of prancing horses in on its sides.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Anybody at the auction today?
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Sold for 52.000 Euro, they says:
https://www.facebook.com/252969427166/photos/a.424...mp;theater

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
project_therapy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Fair price for this car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

knaggy wrote:
Fair price for this car?

I guess it must be as at least two people must have thought so during the bidding process!

Just looking for comparable cars that have sold very recently, my friend's beautiful '51 sold here in the UK last month. This was a very nicely restored car and actually looked pretty similar to the one in the auction a couple of years ago!!...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...this one sold for 30k Euros I believe.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
Sold for 52.000 Euro, they says:
https://www.facebook.com/252969427166/photos/a.424...mp;theater

and then you have the auction fees to add to that hammer price Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johan81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

On the auctions page it says 58240€
I can sell my for that price to Smile
I can give you a small discount even Wink
64 beach buggy
johan81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Original ones goes for more money than restored ones now days

RichOakley wrote:
knaggy wrote:
Fair price for this car?

I guess it must be as at least two people must have thought so during the bidding process!

Just looking for comparable cars that have sold very recently, my friend's beautiful '51 sold here in the UK last month. This was a very nicely restored car and actually looked pretty similar to the one in the auction a couple of years ago!!...

[img]https://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/uploaded/large/30614.jpg[/

...this one sold for 30k Euros I believe.

64 beach buggy
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Can somebody explain to me, why a beautiful restored car, like the one above, should be worth so much less than the one sold at auction. It's not as if we are comparing like for like condition wise. I could understand more if the two were in the same condition, and the unrestored one was worth more, but that isn't the case here.
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Original' 1952 coming up for auction Reply with quote

Because a restored car never feels the same as on original one. I have both and far more enjoy driving the original ones. With an OG car you know what you have , restored cars, who knows. Plus there is just something cool about something that has survived so well.

I'm only after originals anymore.

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: