Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Photo assistance for front caliper hard line shape
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Photo assistance for front caliper hard line shape Reply with quote

This will be coming up for me over the next three months.

If anyone has an unmolested set of caliper hard lines...meaning that last section of flared steel tube that attaches between between the rubber brake line attached to the strut housing...and the caliper itself....can you please take a picture from as many angles as you can...and maybe measure if you have time....and post them please?

Over the years....mine have been stretched out and re-bent in several places. While they still work well and do not interfere anywhere......it does make for a slight amount of tension on the pipes and therefore not exactly perfectly simple to reattach the pipe without risk of cross threading whenever the caliper is loose for any reason. I will be re-bending new ones as my front end goes back on and I install new hard lines for the trunk mounted master cylinder mod.

I will add the photos to both the thread for caliper rebuild and for the brake mod....and credit the owner of course! Very Happy

The factory bends worked quite well. Thank you Ray!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Photo assistance for front caliper hard line shape Reply with quote

Ray, sorry for delay but here are some pics from left side of my '73 412 and '70 411, they both looks wery much the same. Dont know if the tubes are totally in its factory shape.
The visible length of the steel tube is ~175mm (not counting what goes into the nipple).

/Lars S

1973 412:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 411:

Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Photo assistance for front caliper hard line shape Reply with quote

Ah! Thank you!
Yes....that is excellent. One of my lines is close enough to that.
The final curve right at the flare fitting as it goes into the caliper.....is the key.

Looking at it in your pictures....it is the same as in pictures in the books...and the same as I remember mine looking....before I fiddled with it.
That factory bend is oddly kind of sharp.....but is how the factory did it and it works.

Twice.....I looked at that bend and thought it looked sharp....kind of stretched......so I corrected it Laughing ....and then it took me forever to get the fitting to line up! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: