Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering shaft spline
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Steering shaft spline Reply with quote

Did VW make steering shafts with different spline diameters back in the 60s and 70s?

I have a steering shaft in my buggy that looks to be out of a Variant 1300.
The unit that houses the ignition key, turn signals, etc., has these numbers:

SWF JLS6S
SAE OB67

the part that fits over the spline and bolts to the steering wheel has this stamped on the inside:

VARIANT VW 1300

The buggy came with a rusty and very small steering wheel. I want to replace it with a larger steering wheel I had on my old 356 replica.
The newer steering wheel's hub doesn't seem to fit on the buggy's steering shaft spline.
How easy should the hub slide down the splines? It fits on the end of the shaft but doesn't seem to want to easily side down.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft spline Reply with quote

There are different splines for the newer steering shafts.

I "think" the change was at 1971-1973 for one size.
The "to" 70 is a different size.

I know I had a couple different adapters for my stash of "Formuling France" wheels that I finally sold off.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering shaft spline Reply with quote

I dug out my caliper and did some measuring. My splines' diameter is 21mm and the steering shaft nut is 27mm, so I have a 1960 - 1973 shaft.
Might be tight, but I think the after market Momo column should fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: