Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15/17 inch staggered wheel setup.
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: 15/17 inch staggered wheel setup. Reply with quote

I'm in the process of shopping for disc brake kits and wheels/tires for my newly acquired dune buggy.
One option is to go with 15 inch (6" wide in the front and 8" wide in the rear) American Racing Torq Thrust II wheels (Chevy bolt pattern)

Another option, which really interests me, is to go with a set of Super Speed wheels from Cip1 (Porsche 5x130 bolt pattern). I'm thinking that 15x5.5 wheels in the front and 17x7 in the rear might look okay on a buggy. I want to run a wider wheel/tire in the back, so the 15x5.5 wont' work in the rear.

I haven't come across a photo of a buggy with a similar staggered setup, so I'm not sure if it will look weird.

Tires would be 195/50-15 on the front and 225/45-17 on the rear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: 15/17 inch staggered wheel setup. Reply with quote

Option one: sounds boring and heavy, even though I love Thrust II wheels.
Option two: seems the better, more modern option of Big & Littles, but I would look at Tires size 175/65-15 on the front and 225/55-17 on the rear.

175/65-15 overall dia. 23.95, sidewall height 4.5"
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.js...iameter=17
225/55-17 overall dia. 28.5, sidewall height 5.75
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.js...iameter=17
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 15/17 inch staggered wheel setup. Reply with quote

I've ended up going with neither. Instead, I've ordered front and rear disc brake kits with blank rotors, which I plan to have drilled for a 4x100 bolt pattern.
I already have a nice, light set of 15x7 wheels in a 4x100 pattern, so I'll only need to buy new tires.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyflame73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 15/17 inch staggered wheel setup. Reply with quote

I know this reply is too late as you have come up with a solution. But, I thought I'd offer up some photo's anyway. Never know, it could help someone else who was contemplating the same staggered set up. Most people don't like the look, but I say everyone should build their car the way they like, and not the status quo. Front wheels are 15 X 4.5" with 165/55R15 and rear are 17 X 7" with 235/45ZR17. The rear will settle after the rear interior and stereo is in installed....... and driven.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: