Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front blower fan - blowing a fuse - FIXED
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse - FIXED Reply with quote

My front heater fan was working OK, albeit squeaky motor on low and med speed. Now it is blowing a fuse every time I try to turn it on. Could it be the fan motor is finally kaput, or only the in-dash resistor? Not looking forward to a dash removal......

Last edited by Navy_Flyer on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Sounds like the fan bearing finally seized?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Kaput, Finito, Morta, Arriva Derchi.

It's all done, toast, fried.
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Thought so..... well at least I know what I'll be doing for the next couple of weekends. Thoughts on best brand of new blower? I see Meyle is avail from BD and Febi/Bilstein or Dansk/Thermex is avail from VC. Not sure of the brand at GW but they're on sale at GW and I have some unused GW Bucks.
Do any of the new fans have sealed bearings now? Geez - don't want to do this again anytime soon.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

it's time to play the "Taps"

I am my way to replace mine too.. but removing the dash! ! ! OUCH ! !

Very Happy
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
it's time to play the "Taps"

I am my way to replace mine too.. but removing the dash! ! ! OUCH ! !

Very Happy

It will certainly be a learning experience, but Ben's site gives a very exceptional step-by-step with photos to go along with your Bentley, so I am pretty sure it will go OK. Just go slow and ensure all the entanglements (wires) are disconnected... I plan to do some cleanup and preventative maintenance once in there, like a new fan resistor, heater core and etc....
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

at first sign of bearingnnoise, stop using the fan, if so the fan will not be damaged and the bearings relibed for another three decades of service.

in this case, maybe your lucky and the fuse protected the fan electrically and you can simply relube it, so long as the windings did not short out or go open from excess current draw.

good luck

ps my fan currently sits unused as it has just started to make noise, one of these days I will deal with it.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
at first sign of bearingnnoise, stop using the fan, if so the fan will not be damaged and the bearings relibed for another three decades of service.

in this case, maybe your lucky and the fuse protected the fan electrically and you can simply relube it, so long as the windings did not short out or go open from excess current draw.

good luck

ps my fan currently sits unused as it has just started to make noise, one of these days I will deal with it.

Maybe. But for ~$60 for a new blower and the labor (PIA) to take out the dash, I will replace it once I get inside. If it still works after autopsy I will put it in the 'spare parts' pile or just pay it forward.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
...Now it is blowing a fuse every time I try to turn it on. Could it be the fan motor is finally kaput...

Maybe. Maybe even probably.

Mine did that but I was able to get it to run w/o the fuse blowing by abruptly switching to the high speed, once running I could turn it back to 1 w/o a problem.

At that point I drilled the Mullendore Port, lubed the bearing I could access, and all has been well in the many years since.

There may even be a way to nudge it a bit (possibly revealed in that same thread?). In any case, if you can get it to move at all and then lube it, there may be hope.

I don't think you have much to lose by trying something at this point.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

just be aware please...

A fuse is protection, so it means a lot of current ask.

Some, as we, have experienced a fire dash so be alert about it.

Hope it helps.

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

good luck

Maybe. But for ~$60 for a new blower and the labor (PIA) to take out the dash, I will replace it once I get inside. If it still works after autopsy I will put it in the 'spare parts' pile or just pay it forward.

there have been rumors that the new blowers are not as well made as originals. so I plan to relube mine, after close examination of course. besure to research the reliability of the new fans.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Navy_Flyer wrote:
...Now it is blowing a fuse every time I try to turn it on. Could it be the fan motor is finally kaput...

Maybe. Maybe even probably.

Mine did that but I was able to get it to run w/o the fuse blowing by abruptly switching to the high speed, once running I could turn it back to 1 w/o a problem.

At that point I drilled the Mullendore Port, lubed the bearing I could access, and all has been well in the many years since.

There may even be a way to nudge it a bit (possibly revealed in that same thread?). In any case, if you can get it to move at all and then lube it, there may be hope.

I don't think you have much to lose by trying something at this point.

Thanks - BTDT. I was nursing it that way for a couple of months. I think it's just toast now.
Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
just be aware please...

A fuse is protection, so it means a lot of current ask.

Some, as we, have experienced a fire dash so be alert about it.

Hope it helps.

Agree. It's time to just bite the bullet and get in there. Been wanting to for a while now anyway, just to clean up the rats nest of wires from the PO's if for anything else and was putting it off until absolutely necessary. It now is Absolutely Necessary. The good news is I can still do it on my own schedule. Since it is registered "antique" there is no inspection required in my state - I am responsible for the ensuring the safety aspects of operation are all in order.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Having had my dash in and out about 30 times when fabricating my front AC system, I can advise that it is not nearly as bad a job as many believe. Ben's instructions are right on and the tip about the heater controls is pure gold for saving time.

If you are working alone, (after disconnecting all the bits in Ben's photo guide), you should remove all the dash fasteners except the centre Phillips screw (right near the windshield), and that screw will hold the dash in place. Now sit on a board that straddles the front seats or on a crate between the seats, remove that last screw and pull the dash onto your lap. Now scooch your butt, with the dash on your lap, over to one door or the other. Easy peasy. Installation is reverse of this. BTDT.

One other tip: The 2 dash air vents are easy to remove and install and when re-installing the dash, you might find it a lot easier to install the dash first and then install the vents.

Here's a pic that Wildthings posted a long time ago. The grill is removed by pushing it to one side and then pulling it out. The tabs in the four corners then are accessible and you use a pick to pull the tabs toward the centre of the vent to release the whole vent.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

it probably is pretty easy after thirty times, heck is probably a lot easier the fifth time verses the first. for me the first time, what a pain to even think about. I hope I never have to be really experienced with this, once is enough., Confused Shocked Very Happy Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Cool Confused Laughing Mad Confused Twisted Evil Wink Laughing Very Happy

check out the rubber seals on the air vanes in the ventilation system, if worn or missing, you get bothersome air leaks, replace if suspect with fresh. neoprene foam works good for seals, like wet suit material

service wiper system good connections, joints lubed, look for leaks.

heater core, probably it is fine, but since it is thirty or so years old, whats the labour saving doing it now verses when in fails, thats a what you have to ask, is the system do for a flush now?

do I stop there, new valve, new hoses, oh heck how about all new hoses to and from engine? snowball rolling down hill.

disconnect battery before dash removal!!!! plenty of unfused connections can be exposed

of couse you have taken proactive action on the fuel system in engine bay, new lined hoses, bulkhead fotting removal, pressure regulator vacuum hose upgrades, all metal fuel rails, all real show stoppers if failure, kaboom!!

good luck

Navy_Flyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

...of couse you have taken proactive action on the fuel system in engine bay, new lined hoses, bulkhead fotting removal, pressure regulator vacuum hose upgrades, all metal fuel rails, all real show stoppers if failure, kaboom!!

good luck

Yup - all done within a couple of months of ownership.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Just in case you're the "$10-mod-easy-to replace <vs> $60-OG-pain-in-the-a$$-if-it-goes-again" type guy...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623382&highlight=

Git 'r done! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

thinking about it....

they should put in a 3 sections dash board...

we just remove the middle section, the radio and replace the blower.. all could be done under 2 hours without stress and pain..

I am stressed out already just thinking about removing the whole dash board... ughh

Very Happy
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on with this. Pulling the fan off the shaft to get at the external side of the inboard bearing looks like a chore

I've got around four extra fans in my stash. Two good and two needing overhaul. If you manage to devise a good way of pulling the squirrel cage please post.

Alistair

bluebus86 wrote:

there have been rumors that the new blowers are not as well made as originals. so I plan to relube mine, after close examination of course. besure to research the reliability of the new fans.

Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Front blower fan - blowing a fuse Reply with quote

Navy_Flyer wrote:
My front heater fan was working OK, albeit squeaky motor on low and med speed. Now it is blowing a fuse every time I try to turn it on. Could it be the fan motor is finally kaput, or only the in-dash resistor? Not looking forward to a dash removal......

Did you try the "Mullendore Port" trick or is it too late?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395661&highlight=mullendore
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: