Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sears Circling the Drain
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
I bet your 16mm & 18mm look pristine. Laughing

Mine certainly did, until I got aquainted with 80's/90's GM trucks, I had to locate wrenches I hadn't used or seen in years Shocked

VW & Audi made a switch to 16mm & 18 mm fasteners in the late 90s, I've always wondered what was the reason for the change.

To sell more wrenches? Smile

Mad Definitely.. ^
The hardware (nuts and bolts) auto supplies are in cahoots with the tool companies..
Somebody is being greased somewhere.. while we get hosed..

Anybody remember 5/8 square drive sockets and ratchets... ????

Torx, Torx Plus, Inverted Torx, Tamper Proof Torx.. Allen, Inverted Allen.. ... Tamper proof Allen.. and on and on and and on..

And I certainly must make mention of.. .. the beloved Triple Square.. . may have even been VW or at least another one of those Euro trash companies as one of the first to start using it.. (CV Joint Bolts) :fist:

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
green73 wrote:
DannoT wrote:
" you know your driving hitler's revenge" .

Some old guy just told me that the other day! whats it mean?

The "Peoples Car" was one of Hitlers madnesses....
The term means Hitler may be gone....but he's still winning his war getting even with us all.

My latest "Hitlers Revenge" reference..

My local body shop guy comes flying in the shop door..

< What kind of F'd up Hitlers Revenge bolt is this...? Evil or Very Mad
Laughing
I look down in his hand and see a rather large tripple square head bolt...
I began Laughing Laughing Laughing
> That's a Triple Square bolt.
< Well do you have the tool....
> Yep In just about every flavor, 4mm to 18mm longs and shorts..
< Yeah I kinda knew YOU would... Wink

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Torx, Torx Plus, Inverted Torx, Tamper Proof Torx.. Allen, Inverted Allen.. ... Tamper proof Allen.. and on and on and and on..

I'd love to strangle the GM wizard who sold them on those GD Torx screws. Mad
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Funny, as I have never had to use the 16mm wrenches and sockets in my sets. Ever.

I have used the 18mm deep socket a few times. On 70's Honda motorcycle spark plugs.

16 and 18 common on Toyota and Honda automobiles

Been driving a Toyota pickup for over a decade with neither of those sizes used, but it's an 87. Just got an 08 Matrix that I have not had much reason or opportunity to wrench on yet. I suspect my wrenches may not look so new once I find the need to tear into it.
JonL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

I saw this today while I was in home depot, kinda related, check out the warranty on hand tools

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/18/183de0c2-e268-404d-b875-02c933cd7e4b.pdf
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Especially those torx screws that hold the calipers onto the pick up trucks with copious amounts of lock tight. You need a darn torch to break those loose before the torx bit strips!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Especially those torx screws that hold the calipers onto the pick up trucks with copious amounts of lock tight. You need a darn torch to break those loose before the torx bit strips!

They were in place on German cars WAY before GM and others started using them..

But ..yep.. a Torx or inverted Torx on a large thread bolt.. add some thread loc into the mix.. and it is recipe for disaster..

We have some seat belt bolts that are Torx 50 that can shatter the best bit before the thread loc will break loose.. .. and using a breaker bar on one is worse at snapping the bit (sometimes impossible to access) than an air Impact.. Its that torque thing..

Imagine.. the look on a customers face. when you have the ole red wrench torch and hoses laid out on the inside of their car.. just to get a freakin' bolt loose.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Love using Torx screws for wood work. A 3" screw with a T25 head and an 18volt impact driver is a strong and loud way to get shit done.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Actually....the term "Torx screw" is rather generic. More on that in a second.

The Torx screw when properly sized for the load...is far stronger.....meaning it can handle far more tool bit torque tightening and removing.....than the triple square type bolt head.

The problem with the triple square type bolt is that even though it has far more contact surface than a six point cap screw.....its angle against angle on the spline mating surfaces. That physically drives the mating surface of the triple square bit....away from the kating surfaces of the bolt....as load increases. This is why to keep from stripping, distorting or spreading the splined cup in the bolt.....the bolt must be top notch quality. This is why CV bolts are class 12.9.

The biggest two problems with triple square headed bolts that cause failure and stripping ...are not the triple square spline design.....its the owner operator not cleaning the splines out and using a quality tool that is a tight fit......or more stupidly using an allen key. The other problem is allowing the fastener to corrode into the theads....by not using proper bolt plating (look up GMs stupid failures back in the 80s/90s on their brake and suspension hardware...to see how NOT to do it).....or by not applying anti-seize compound.

The triple square design allows more than double the force before stripping than an allen key bolt.

Six point hex head cap screws are plentty strong. Its not the bolt head design that is the problem with a six point cap screw......its the fact that a six point socket has very poor contact area. A 12 point cap screw has double the contact area to impart torque....and spread load......and even better....quit using straight cut 6 and 12 point sockets....and buy a "lobed" 6 or 12 point socket....also called a "Flank drive" socket...because the rounded lobes put the force on the flanks/faces of the bolt head....and not on the corners.

A six point cap screw....using a flank drive socket....you can impart nearly 75% more force on the bolt head without worry of stripping....as compared to a normal 6 or 12 point,socket.

Back ro the Torx screws. 90% of all issues with Torx screws.....are the fact that most people simply do not have the correct sized bits......or they bought cheaply made, poor fitting bits.

There are several types of Torx screws. The "Torx plus" screws...are a combination of normal torx....and a flank drive lobbed socket. They are superior in load to ANY other fastener. You can put far more wrench force/torque into a Torx plus" internal or external socket....than any of the fasteners cross ssction or metallurgy is designed to handle. Thats saying something.

I have had "0" problems with any Torx fastener ever...except in the early days when GM and Ford started using them.....before quality tools were commonly availabl. It sucked to start working on something and find a fastener you had no tools to remove or install.

I find that all but the best quality Torx bits....are usually poorly sized and fit the fastener poorly. Thats an issue. I find the same issue with all but a couple of brands of Allen key have the same problem.

My only problems with Torx bolts/screws.....have been on GM and a few other cars where the bopt plating was electrochemically the wrong polarity to the plating or metal it,was bolted into......causing RAPID corrosion of the bolt into the threads.

I have seen a few applications where "specialty" torx fasteners were "created" by the OEM to fit in a place that was too narrow even for a normal Torx bolt. They usually machine the head narrower which removes important metal that keeps the internal torx spline from deforming and stripping.
Thats not a tailure of the Torx system....its an example of engineering design stupidity. Fix the part...dont make an f'd up fastener design for it. Ray
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

JonL wrote:
I saw this today while I was in home depot, kinda related, check out the warranty on hand tools

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/18/183de0c2-e268-404d-b875-02c933cd7e4b.pdf

F I hate husky tools but this definitely makes them more attractive
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

So .. Think judging by the last few pages.. any body else feel ... we must all have shit for tools compared to raygreenwood..?? Laughing

Thanks for taking people to tool school.. Laughing

To break all that schooling down.. In most cases.. its all about the surface contact area of a tool vs the fastener.. and its ability to transfer torque without destroying it .. or the tool..

Sure.....when the proper designed tool .. is used for it's given proper designed mating fastener.. they work together flawlessly..... but rarely .. is it a controlled and ideal environment... in the real world..
Lots of variables with materials, quality, and ability..

raygreenwood wrote:
My only problems with Torx bolts/screws.....have been on GM and a few other cars where the bolt plating... blah blah blahh......causing RAPID corrosion of the bolt into the threads.

Yep.. that's the seat belt anchor Torx bolt problems I noted.. that... accompanied with people and their rolling dumpsters.. ... with spills and leakages into the floors of who knows what.. that accelerates the issue substantially..

ok..
So .. Sears who??

Usually and often edited
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
JonL wrote:

F I hate husky tools but this definitely makes them more attractive

Husky tools were originally from a store called western auto or otasco. But then again that was late 60s early 70s when dozens of quality tools were made in America.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
So .. Think judging by the last few pages.. any body else feel ... we must all have shit for tools compared to raygreenwood..?? Laughing

Thanks for taking people to tool school.. Laughing

To break all that schooling down.. In most cases.. its all about the surface contact area of a tool vs the fastener.. and its ability to transfer torque without destroying it .. or the tool..

Sure.....when the proper designed tool .. is used for it's given proper designed mating fastener.. they work together flawlessly..... but rarely .. is it a controlled and ideal environment... in the real world..
Lots of variables with materials, quality, and ability..

raygreenwood wrote:
My only problems with Torx bolts/screws.....have been on GM and a few other cars where the bolt plating... blah blah

blahh......causing RAPID corrosion of the bolt into the threads.

Yep.. that's the seat belt anchor Torx bolt problems I noted.. that... accompanied with people and their rolling dumpsters.. ... with spills and leakages into the floors of who knows what.. that accelerates the issue substantially..

ok..
So .. Sears who??

Just my two cents, although Ray can be long winded he has more often than not good info to share. More to the point the majority of the folks here are not professional mechanics and they don't need high dollar tools to pursue enjoying their wrenching on VWs. So my advice has always been buy the best quality tools you can on the second hand market. With little effort you can find tool collector info and attend the meets, or keep an eye out for auctions, estate sales. Here's a few more examples of good old tools and they are cheap.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

If you see this brand scarf it up, it's pre 1948 but became Proto, in fact Proto parts fit this tool and the warranty is still honored.
super74beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

George Carlin told a joke, the beginning of which I do not remember but the final part of it was "It's the same feeling I get walking through Sears wondering what the hell they did with Roebuck".

Now he can wonder what the hell they did with Sears.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Funny, as I have never had to use the 16mm wrenches and sockets in my sets. Ever.

I have used the 18mm deep socket a few times. On 70's Honda motorcycle spark plugs.

Been driving a Toyota pickup for over a decade with neither of those sizes used, but it's an 87. Just got an 08 Matrix that I have not had much reason or opportunity to wrench on yet. I suspect my wrenches may not look so new once I find the need to tear into it.

I have made a separate category of 8mm bolts just for toyota work, 12mm heads only.
Brilliant vehicles the toyota, blessed by a priest no unlucky numbers used.

18mm is very popular now, in my case, it is the most used size for main bolts. 11 is near 7/16, 16mm is about 5/8, 19mm=3/4 all redundant sizes.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

I have a plumb 5/16 drive rachet!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I've been working on Hondas for 2 years now, and have never used a 16 or 18mm socket or wrench. I do however use 10 and 12 more than I used to. No 13's on them either. I do however use the 5/8th spark plug socket, since I have a couple of GM's and the Honda's here still use them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
So my advice has always been buy the best quality tools you can on the second hand market. With little effort you can find tool collector info and attend the meets, or keep an eye out for auctions, estate sales. Here's a few more examples of good old tools and they are cheap.

Be careful buying the S-K stuff. I only say that as they're in recievership, and for all tool warranty items you have to go on line to fill out a form before you ship the broken tool. If they still have them in the warehouse, they'll replace it. I found this out over the summer when my buddy was looking to get a wrench replaced.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13969600/1/dying-s...story.html

(saw this posted on the garage journal yesterday, and it's already up to 3 pages this morning. Razz )
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sears Circling the Drain Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
https://www.thestreet.com/story/13969600/1/dying-s...story.html

How sad. I remember in college (1970s) learning about Sears - "The Worlds Largest Retailer"; the "8th Wonder of the Business World", etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: