Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking oil from crank pulley
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bugman1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from crank pulley Reply with quote

I don't think your oil leak is at the pulley. If your crankcase isn't vented properly oil will leak out of the dip stick tube and dribble down around the pulley area. I had the same problem one time and it drove me crazy for a few days until I decided to check out my breather system. Turns out that the after market breather box had a partially plugged vent line and pressure was building up in the crankcase and forcing oil out of the dip stick tube. The oil then leaked onto the backside of the pulley and was getting slung all over the engine compartment. Double and triple check the crankcase breather and lines and make sure it is venting properly. I bet that's where your trouble is.

Good luck
Dennis
kuta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from crank pulley Reply with quote

Bugman1970 wrote:
I don't think your oil leak is at the pulley. If your crankcase isn't vented properly oil will leak out of the dip stick tube and dribble down around the pulley area. I had the same problem one time and it drove me crazy for a few days until I decided to check out my breather system. Turns out that the after market breather box had a partially plugged vent line and pressure was building up in the crankcase and forcing oil out of the dip stick tube. The oil then leaked onto the backside of the pulley and was getting slung all over the engine compartment. Double and triple check the crankcase breather and lines and make sure it is venting properly. I bet that's where your trouble is.

Good luck
Dennis

Thanks Dennis,
It could be possible, so the breather on a 36hp is just part of the filler tube. Maybe this is blocked? I will change over with another one and I also thought of replacing the gasket under the generator. Other than that I think I'm out of ideas.
Cheers
kuta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from crank pulley Reply with quote

So it seems I may have solved the problem! I removed the breather and blew through it and it was completely blocked. I soaked it in diesel and stuck an old heater cable up the tube and out came this gunk that looked like insect eggs and caked up oil.
I've taken it for a short run and there is no pool of oil on return.
I'll get out for a longer drive and see how it goes.
Thank you all for your advice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from crank pulley Reply with quote

That is very interesting that got clogged! Thanks for posting that. Do post if still good to go in a few hundred miles. Very Happy
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from crank pulley Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
That is very interesting that got clogged! Thanks for posting that. Do post if still good to go in a few hundred miles. Very Happy

Quite common and cleaning it is part of regular service. On GM cars such as Pontiac Olds Cadillac ( not cheap Chevrolet ) they put a filter on the end of the tube and the filter as well as the tube had to be cleaned.
1949 Olds 303 tube and filter off the right side of the engine, left side of picture;
http://www.fotosdecarros.com/wp-content/uploads/20...um_-CS.jpg
The older VW engines back to 1938 had a metal tab only and no oil cap so when doing a oil change you had to remover the oil separator/tube and clean it and to add oil;
http://myvolks.tripod.com/new_pa34.jpg
http://www.precisionframe.com/49vw/images/motor_1/Engine.jpg

The reason some of the GM cars had this filter ( at least this is what the manuals say) is when the car was stopped and the engine was off this filter kept debris ( dirty air from under the car) from back flowing up the tube and into the engine. That's why KUTA, you found that mess in there.

Last edited by Helfen on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil from crank pulley Reply with quote

How many times have people removed the oil filler cap and found this?:
http://www.temptingf8.com/images/sludge01.jpg

And how many of you just wiped it clean and add oil? That stuff is also in the separator and road draft tube as well.
Make cleaning it part of your next oil change service!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: