Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

Folks,

My son and I are working on a '65 E-Z Camper fix up and I want to provide for the best stopping possible.

As a result, we're thinking and upgrade all around to discs.

Would love to hear what folks think is the best way to go and why.

Last edited by twurts on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

Some of the disc brake options depend in what kind of suspension you are running

100% stock? Not sure if there are disc brakes for RGB yet, i know someone was working on it though

Dropped/flipped spindles there are lots of options depending on your price range

Straight axle/IRS all use some form of bug disc brakes

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

Old Speed makes a nice set for the front. They make a stock set up, as well as if you are changing things.

I'm guessing with a camper, things are staying stock.

I have a set for the front of my bus. I liked his set up because most of the parts can easily be replaced if something should happen down the road and his business is no longer around. That is, most parts you can get on the shelf from parts places easily.

Call Russ, he is really helpful and an honest business owner operator.

https://www.facebook.com/Old-Speed-169701649711870/
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
Some of the disc brake options depend in what kind of suspension you are running

100% stock? Not sure if there are disc brakes for RGB yet, i know someone was working on it though

Dropped/flipped spindles there are lots of options depending on your price range

Straight axle/IRS all use some form of bug disc brakes

Well put.

Also, what wheels you want to run with too. In the case of a Porsche 944 brake swap, the natural wheels to run would be Fuchs. Some feel that that option has been over played. But , I think the best option is 944 conversion with Wilwood callipers. this option gives you the ease of replacement parts and a simple conversion, plus a drum parking brake.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

twurts wrote:
Would love to hear what folks think is the best way to go and why.
Depends on your wheels/eng/trans.

If stock-ish (1500/1600 & rest stock)... front discs will keep away the front drum weave/pull in wet weather... and provide plenty of stopping power. 4-wheel discs would be money down the drain.

If you could be getting up to 75+ mph... maybe consider 4-wheel discs.

For a stock-ish '65... Old Speed 14" set up is nice (better than drum). They make 15" set up too.... if you're going to bigger wheels / eng / trans tweaks.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

Please search first, there are threads on this already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Anvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

Spitty1974 wrote:
Old Speed makes a nice set for the front. They make a stock set up, as well as if you are changing things.

I'm guessing with a camper, things are staying stock.

I have a set for the front of my bus. I liked his set up because most of the parts can easily be replaced if something should happen down the road and his business is no longer around. That is, most parts you can get on the shelf from parts places easily.

Call Russ, he is really helpful and an honest business owner operator.

https://www.facebook.com/Old-Speed-169701649711870/

I can vouch for this. The Old Speeds are the best I've had out of 4 brands I've first hand experience with and there is a huge distance between the best and the worst.
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

First of all: apologies if I should've found all this in another thread. Newby mistake, I'll try to be a better member in the future.

Second: thanks for the input.

At the risk of the thread "morphing" into something else, a follow up question to the posters:

We are new to this whole game so we hadn't thought about stock vs not although in general I'm inclined not to mess with lowering, etc.

I am researching what we should do for trans and axle and I see that there's lots of threads on this debate so I'll try to educate myself. This bus will be getting an electric conversion from EV West so that may influence decision on trans and axle. Research is a work in progress so any input is welcome.

As far as wheels go, I'd assumed the hub might change and we'd be changing wheels with the disc brakes but I'm not religious and so again more research ongoing.

Thanks so much for the kind welcome and guidance to the forums.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

twurts wrote:
First of all: apologies if I should've found all this in another thread. Newby mistake, I'll try to be a better member in the future.

Second: thanks for the input.

At the risk of the thread "morphing" into something else, a follow up question to the posters:

We are new to this whole game so we hadn't thought about stock vs not although in general I'm inclined not to mess with lowering, etc.

I am researching what we should do for trans and axle and I see that there's lots of threads on this debate so I'll try to educate myself. This bus will be getting an electric conversion from EV West so that may influence decision on trans and axle. Research is a work in progress so any input is welcome.

As far as wheels go, I'd assumed the hub might change and we'd be changing wheels with the disc brakes but I'm not religious and so again more research ongoing.

Thanks so much for the kind welcome and guidance to the forums.

your EV west conversion will not the least bit affected by stock bus transmission with RGBs or stock bug transmission without RGBs.

It will totally mount the same. Just the motor will run 20 percent faster with RGBs.

getting rid of the RGBs will lower your bus in the rear. a lot. you would need to do something in the front to get it level again. Dropped spindles most likely.

with the electric motor this is just a question of desired ground clearance.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

You really do need to decide whether you intend to keep the stock 14" steel wheels, change to earlier 15" stock steel wheels, or go with aftermarket. These affect the clearance available for the caliper and that in turn dictates your choices.
A camper that is 3" lower than stock still has a lot of ground clearance. Depends if you intend to go bushwhacking or not.
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

We've been thinking that aftermarket wheels with a standard five lug pattern might be nice. Is there any reason not to do that?

We don't plan to go bushwhacking so + or - 3" won't matter for this one.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

I've been running babystangs for the last two years and have been very pleased. I plan on switching to a more aggressive brake compound.

I also used the search for you.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475194&start=540

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537739&start=80
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion Recommendations for '65 Reply with quote

We had a shop night last night with my son and a bunch of his "uncles" and discussed all of the excellent input from this thread.

We're currently thinking that we need to make the following decisions in advance of the brake stuff. Naturally, the hole is always deeper than expected Wink

So we now are thinking that we should move away from the RGBs which means we need to decide what to go with. Then we'll need to make a front end lowering decision to match. I now understand the wheel discussion point as I think I now get that modern wheels would also require narrowing. And then we can make a disc brake decision...

Guess I'm off to research threads and advice on replacing the RGBs, trans choices and lowering and narrowing rear and front now...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the electric conversion kit. If it keeps a stock style transaxle, read the lowering thread until you understand how your existing trans works: a bus trans turns backward relative to a bug trans. The RGBs turn that back to forward again.
You will probably need to go with a straight axle kit and a bug trans, with whatever final drive ratio is optimal for the electric motor you go with.
For the front, the simplest and least costly approach is to order a set of modified (turned and welded) spindles with disc brake setup. You can get all of these from one supplier; there are several. There are kits which will work with stock steel 15" bus wheels and which will not require you to cut and narrow your front beam. True, you will need earlier bus wheels but they do have the offset that you will need. I'm not a custom guy and like the stock look so I don't like the custom wheels even though there is more room for big brakes. To each his own.

On my own 67 camper I have lowered (flipped") rebuilt spindles on the front and a 1968 Type 3 transaxle along with a "straight axle kit" on the rear. Very "bread and butter" setup. I have drum brakes on the front but do intend to upgrade to disc at some point.
twurts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

So we're working on a wheel decision. My son is looking for stock look with chrome moonhubcap but deeper dish than stock beetle. Similar to what he found shown on this bus.

I think we're settling on minimal lowering that just results from switching out RGBs.

Investigation goes on. Input welcome.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

the pic looks like 356 porsche style wheels, those would be 15inch, 4.5 to 5.5 inches wide. they will work, and mount just about any tire.

Stock 15 inch bus wheels (from the older buses before VW switched to 14 inch rims) will do the same trick. They are 4.5 inches wide. Still will fit just about any tire.

Stock beetle wheels would also work, but they do look like beetle wheels....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

I installed Saco front disc and not that happy with them Better than stock but, cross drilled rotors are noisy, would have never bought them if I knew that. I am getting use to the noise. Installed with stock 15" bus wheels.
I would go with the Wolfsburg West Kit.
rennie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

My stock power '66 EZ got Old Speed front discs last year. They are superb! Loving Russell's kit, which sits nicely under the OG 14" wheels. Kudos to your son for liking the stock wheel look.
Drums remain in the rear. Also did the DCMC replacement. Freeway stopping isn't an issue, it stops on an unsespecting dime (when needed in So Cal traffic).

IMO, as said above, if keeping stock power, front discs are all you need.

If you're steering away from significant lowering, you may consider keeping the RGB's unless you go to swing axle, which i believe can be height adjusted.

I appreciate your methodical approach and very conscious decision making. Great to be doing it with your son too!
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

I thought of one other thing with straight axle in back. It is a chore to change the rear wheel. If you go with non-adjustable spring plates its a major PIA just to take off wheel. Even with the adjustable spring plates from Wagon West it a chore.

I agree front disc biggest improvement for braking.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: '65 EZ Camper build help (renamed from:Disc Brake Conversion...) Reply with quote

Has anybody gone with the dual master and Vac assist on that set up?
Currently building a 66 ez and would love to hear if anybody has done that conversion and compared it to the disc up front- also what MC are you going to run with the disc. Question

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: